Royal Asscher/asscher/square Emerald

bsearle

What is the difference between an Asscher Cut and a Square Cut Emerald? :rolleyes:

I have inquired about an asscher with an online dealer but the GIA reports she sent say Square Cut Emerald.

Can someone explain this.

We carry the Royal asscher cut diamonds. They have a higher crown and smaller table and wider corners than the square emerald cut diamonds and also 74 facets. This also makes the stone emit more flashes of colored light. We have verified this with our light performance analsyis on the diamonds.

Here is an example of a royal asscher as compared to a square emerald cut diamond.post-10-1205258395_thumb.jpg

The royal asscher is on the left.

Edited by jan

Asscher is a brand name. Sort of like Frisbee or Kleenex. GIA uses more generic terms on their reports. It's the same reason you'll never see a GIA graded princess cut. Those are 'modified square brilliant'.

Dealers tend to use these terms less precisely and will call just about anything an asscher if it looks anything close to right. A true Asscher is a product of the Royal Asscher company. Although there are other cutters who are doing some fine work as well, there's quite a lot of 'generic' Asschers out there are hiding behind the brand with substantially inferior goods.

Neil

Have you seen photos?

it's very important. As Neil mentioned, there are some really fine houses cutting stones which are comperable in look to the branded stones- such as this one.....

r2437b.JPG

There are also other variatns which are very pleasing to many eyes..... below is a rectangular diamond that reminded me a lot of an Asscher cut.

172r1965d.JPG

An importat aspect to many is the fact that the branded stones carry a very hefty premium over non branded ones......

Here is a beauty !

post-114043-1205262974.jpg

The answer to your question is the faceting struture. GIA will describe a stone such as the Royal Asscher as a "cut cornered step cut". Other stones can be described by GIA as a "square emerald cut. " These differences in appearance are noted for a reason. Altough there are some nice square emerald cuts out there they do not look exactly like the Royal Asschers in appearance. The design / facet stucture and the appearance as noted by GIA is different.

Interesting point Bradley. It's important to point out that there's nothing to prevent a cutter from cutting a Cut Cornered Step cut diamond identical to a branded diamond.

Other stones can be described by GIA as a "square emerald cut. "

In fact, the diamond I posted above is classified as a "Cut Cornered Rectangular Step Cut"

r1965cert.JPG

Here's a better shot of the stone

r1965a.JPG

post-114043-1205288224_thumb.jpgpost-114043-1205288191_thumb.jpg

Obviously not every cut corned step cut is going to look like a Royal Asscher. The larger cut corners are only one aspect. The Royal Asscher is something of an enigma. It seems every diamond being sold that is a square step cut wants to be one, but few come close.

Even the original early true Asscher cuts that bear the name of the originator don`t resemble some diamonds that are being passed off as Asschers. When the Asscher family saw a demand for their original cuts from back then, they did not want to be confused with what the current market was attempting to pass off as their creation.

They decided with the now available modern equipment they could take the original to a new level than before. They studied every aspect possible for three years and came up with the "Royal Asscher Cut". The new version with its additional facets produced even more fire than before.

Edited by Bradley

We do agree that there's a lot of junk being passed off as Asscher Cut diamonds.

A lot of the generics are not all that pretty.

All that being said, it is still true that anyone is free to cut a diamond exactly like a branded stone, if they want to, and have the ability.

If you look at our 1.72ct you'll notice that it has corners just as large as the Royal Asschers you have posted.

Same is true for the 1.59ct I posted above.... this one

r2437b.JPG

This nonbranded stone, has large corners, and even a four step top. Just like a branded stone

Thanks, yours too. This one I think is $17,400. Check out the fire. 1.54 ct. Royal Asscher Fire

I am totally new to this whole thing but I love asschers and am currently looking for a stone. Is it ok to get a square emerald cut (GIA certified), or should I be asking to see that cut corner step (not sure the exact thing you wrote) when I go to jewelers? Im having difficulty with this whole process. Thanks sooo much!

Hi all!

Thank you for publishing the price Bradley.

For the purposes of comparison, wouldn't you agree that a diamond of similar color and clarity with a good cut from GIA that was not branded could be had for about $6,000 less?

nikkiA-I hate to see someone get stressed when buying something that should be only for pleasure. It really is not brain surgery.

I did read another thread where you said, you need to stay above G color and above VS clarity... I strongly disagree.

Also, in terms of your question about whether or not to buy branded diamond or a cut corner diamond-let your eyes be your guide.

Here is the page showing the Asscher, I posted above.

In fact, this one is a faint yellow diamond. Is that for you? Well, many people like them, and there's also people who only want a colorless diamond.

Keep in mind though that the diamond Bradley was talking about is over $17,000, a similar nonbranded diamond would be a little less than $12,000-while the one I posted $6,395.

I do believe it's important to keep budget in mind when shopping

Edited by diamondsbylauren

At AGSL, a ‘square emerald’ cut must have a 3 step crown and either a 3 or 4 step pavilion. All others in this genre are called ‘cut cornered step’ cuts. The Royal Asscher has a 3 step crown and a 5 step pavilion and would therefore fall in this second category.

I’ve got a call in to friends at GIA to see if they have a similar rule.

Neil