Looking At Purchasing In Antwerp Belgium

guzzel

I was in Antwerp yesterday and today (I'm staying in Belgium for a few months) and I went to the Diamond District to look at their products.

One of the dealers gave me a price on a round diamond, set in as a solitare in an 18ct gold ring. The specs on the stone are: 1.53 carat, F color, and P1 (I'm assuming it's graded by IGI). After about 45 minutes to an hour in his store negotiating, he finally asked if I could pay cash or if I was going to use a credit card. Understanding that the credit card companies charge the merchant anywhere from 2% - 4.5%, I told him I would pay cash, and his absolute bottom line for the ring was 3,400 euros (~$4,600).

Although I'm not too keen on having a P1, I also understand that the average person doesn't walk around with a loop looking at other people's diamonds on their fingers.

What's the opinion of the board on whether or not this is a good deal.

Thanks,

guzzel

You could probably save yourself some money if you could arrange to buy in the US but if you’re a Belgian resident and aren’t keen on the whole international shipping thing I can understand. More importantly, the right price on the wrong stone is no bargain in any case. Where do you call home?

Neil

Neil,

I live in Texas. Will be heading back home at the end of May.

Thanks,

guzzel

You could probably save yourself some money if you could arrange to buy in the US but if you’re a Belgian resident and aren’t keen on the whole international shipping thing I can understand. More importantly, the right price on the wrong stone is no bargain in any case. Where do you call home?

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guzzel I`d suggest looking for a diamond with a GIA or AGS report. Even in Antwerp they are available because many of the manufactures over there cater to U.S. market. This elminates the P1 (pique1) being an I2 when you get back to the states.

I slightly disagree with Bradley. Even with most cutters here (I live and work in Antwerp) catering for the US market, these stones do not remain hanging around here. Most cutters will move these stones closer to the market, which means to their U.S.-office, or on memo with their best U.S.-customers.

Most of the GIA-reports that float on the Antwerp market are the ones that are difficult to sell, or which got a lucky grade. AGS-reports are very hard to find here.

Also, if you were in a store, you were not in the actual Diamond District. Beware.

Live long,

I deal with at least ten diamond manufatures that are based in Antwerp, and I get packages shipped directly from there often. Each and everyone of them provide GIA or AGS reports on the diamonds I use. Large scale manufactures that handle quality goods and cater to U.S. Nothing that is difficult to sell but "Ideal " cuts. One cutter I deal with has, right at this moment, more than two thousand ideal cuts with GIA and AGS reports. That is all they sell in both the U.S. and fareast markets.

I think it is in Guzzel`s best interest to get a correctly graded diamond that is why I suggested what I did.