Egl Round 1.35 Loose Stone For $6400

coolrthancoolio

To anyone who has any tips. I have been looking around for a loose stone and I have stumbled upon a EGL round stone 1.35, VVS1, E in color for $6400. I have it next to a GIA certified round stone 1.5 VVS2, E in color for for $15000. and the EGL stone looked a lot better for me and seems like a great price. GIA stones look a bit pricey. Can I trust EGL? Would anyone think the EGL stone is worth the price. Any other tips u would reccomend me to ask about the stone.

-Erick

To anyone who has any tips. I have been looking around for a loose stone and I have stumbled upon a EGL round stone 1.35, VVS1, E in color for $6400. I have it next to a GIA certified round stone 1.5 VVS2, E in color for for $15000. and the EGL stone looked a lot better for me and seems like a great price. GIA stones look a bit pricey. Can I trust EGL? Would anyone think the EGL stone is worth the price. Any other tips u would reccomend me to ask about the stone.

-Erick

EGL USA or EGL Int'l? There's a big difference. Normally in smaller size goods like 0.30-0.60cts, etc, EGL-USA is on par with GIA for grading for the most part (in my opinion). As you go up in size and quality, grading loosens up, you can even see this in pricing. Price out 1/2ct SI1/G in EGL-USA and GIA, for the most part they're the same. Now price out 2ct VVS1/E in both EGL-USA and GIA, they're different.

But if you ask me, you shouldn't put your blind faith or "trust" in any lab. Trust your jeweler first, your eyes second, your lab report 3rd, and your independant appraiser fourth (in no particular order). The important thing is you establish many levels of trust, don't just blindly trust any lab report just as you would not just trust any random jeweler, etc. And if there is a big price difference between one labs graded stones vs. another, chances are there is a reason for this.

Best of luck.

Edited by Adylon

-Erick

EGL USA or EGL Int'l? There's a big difference. Normally in smaller size goods like 0.30-0.60cts, etc, EGL-USA is on par with GIA for grading for the most part (in my opinion). As you go up in size and quality, grading loosens up, you can even see this in pricing. Price out 1/2ct SI1/G in EGL-USA and GIA, for the most part they're the same. Now price out 2ct VVS1/E in both EGL-USA and GIA, they're different.

But if you ask me, you shouldn't put your blind faith or "trust" in any lab. Trust your jeweler first, your eyes second, your lab report 3rd, and your independant appraiser fourth (in no particular order). The important thing is you establish many levels of trust, don't just blindly trust any lab report just as you would not just trust any random jeweler, etc. And if there is a big price difference between one labs graded stones vs. another, chances are there is a reason for this.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. It is EGL-USA certified I havent asked for the reason why is there a huge price difference. But is there any way to prove like this is a good deal. What should I do and ask the jeweler? I am looking for a loose stone. I have a mounting already. I took the price to other jewelry stores nearby the place and they all kept saying EGL is crap? And no one cannot compete to this price. I have looked at a GIA and this EGL stone under a microscope. The GIA looked good but the EGL looked good and was a good price. What about value. will i lose any value just because i bought EGL? I plan to make a purchase with in a month. Any Ideas?

Get it appraised by an independent appraiser who is both qualified and who doesn’t sell diamonds. It’s not the lab that makes beautiful stones beautiful but the lab opinion does play a huge role in the pricing. As you know, EGL-USA graded stones trade at a discount when compared to identically GIA & AGS graded stones and this leaves the possibility that a correctly graded EGL stone might be a bargain. At the same time, the sellers are well aware of this and, if they can ship a stone to GIA and buy a piece of paper for $100 showing the same grade that will allow them to raise the price by $9k then this is exactly what they will do. Wouldn’t you? It's not like this is hard or involves any special skills or knowledge on the part of the dealer. What this tells me is that SOMETHING is going on here beyond just the branding. The question is what is it and the followup question is going to be whether it will be acceptable to you. Since you’ve seen the stone and are obviously happy with it, my guess is that it will be but I would still want to know the whole truth if it were me. I’m just that way. "Probably OK" just wouldn't be sufficient if it were my money on the table. Even if you need to ship it in order to get an independent to look at it (there aren’t all that many of us out there and there may not be a qualified appraiser near you), it’s just not all that expensive given the amount of money involved.

Neil

Get it appraised by an independent appraiser who is both qualified and who doesn’t sell diamonds. It’s not the lab that makes beautiful stones beautiful but the lab opinion does play a huge role in the pricing. As you know, EGL-USA graded stones trade at a discount when compared to identically GIA & AGS graded stones and this leaves the possibility that a correctly graded EGL stone might be a bargain. At the same time, the sellers are well aware of this and, if they can ship a stone to GIA and buy a piece of paper for $100 showing the same grade that will allow them to raise the price by $9k then this is exactly what they will do. Wouldn’t you? It's not like this is hard or involves any special skills or knowledge on the part of the dealer. What this tells me is that SOMETHING is going on here beyond just the branding. The question is what is it and the followup question is going to be whether it will be acceptable to you. Since you’ve seen the stone and are obviously happy with it, my guess is that it will be but I would still want to know the whole truth if it were me. I’m just that way. "Probably OK" just wouldn't be sufficient if it were my money on the table. Even if you need to ship it in order to get an independent to look at it (there aren’t all that many of us out there and there may not be a qualified appraiser near you), it’s just not all that expensive given the amount of money involved.

Neil

Just like Neil says, if the jeweler can send the stone to another lab and make an extra $9,000 of course he will. These games are played all the time unfortunately with the bigger/rarer stones.

But I think a big reason for the price difference with the 2 diamonds you're comparing are #1 cut and #2 carat weight. Let's assume both are graded correctly for color/clarity. 1.5ct is worth MUCH more then 1.35ct. Also if the 1.35ct is cut poorly (very bottom or top heavy) it can be worth significantly less. Now that of course is based on the assumption the grading of the EGL is correct. What if it were VS2 instead of VVS1? Or G color instead of E? Plus it was poorly cut? Would you feel like you got a good deal?

Why don't you do this --- find out what the cut quality/proportions of the EGL-USA stone is, and then ask the jeweler if he's willing to guarantee you in writing that if you send it to GIA it will get a VVS1/E grade, or if not he has to replace it with one. And while you're at it find out what he thinks the GIA would grade it as it's final overall cut grade, and that you want him to guarantee you it will be at least "Very Good" cut or higher. If he says sure and sells it to you, why not take it to an independent appraiser and see what they say? If they advise you it's most likely not VVS1/E then send it to the GIA.

Edited by Adylon