Getting A Diamond Set.

blasterball11

The cost of the setting would depend on a number of factors like the metal type, metal purity, the total metal weight in the setting. For instance, 18k gold would cost around $24.63 per gram. This cost would vary as gold prices keep fluctuating. If you go in for a platinum setting, the cost would be almost double the price of gold. And if you choose thoose to add diamond accents, there will be added costs.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Angara.com

Are you asking about labor rates?

It varies a lot depending on the details of the mounting, the details of the stone and the craftsman you hire. Most that I know will cheerfully provide free estimates of what they will be charging before any work begins. and usually it's not a major piece of the budget for the deal. In general, the cheapest aren't the best and, personally, I think this is a bad place to try and save a few bucks. Shop based on the skills of the jeweler and their willingness to accept responsibility for their work. Setters are not all the same.

Neil

What would a standard cost be for a jeweler to set a princess cut diamond into an engagement ring setting?

This is kind of like asking "what would it cost to buy a car?". There are so many different prices, and qualities of automobiles.

Actually, I thought of a better analogy. How about-"how much does a good dentist cost?"

For someone in the unfortunate position of needing to find out, I don't think they want to go with the cheapest possible guy....

Same thing for setting a diamond.

Here on 47th St, I can find people who will set a diamond for less than a dollar. Many times we pay $50. Do you want the one dollar guy touching your stone?

Ok guys, I understand not to skimp on getting the stone set. But this is the one area im pretty uneducated on when it comes to buying a diamond. It is important to me because the diamond setting is one thing I will not buy from an online vender. When it comes to buying the actual diamond, I feel that the experts (If I buy from Barry) will have a better eye than I have, but only I know what I'm looking for in the actual ring. So I will be buying a diamond online (for the obvious financial advantages) and buying the ring in a local store.

With that said, I know how you guys work, not able to give actual specific answers (which is justified mostly) so I will present a hypothetical situation. If I were to own this ring... http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-R...-Ring-1094.html

with no diamond, and were to buy a diamond online, about what could I expect to pay an independent local jeweler to get it set? Are we talking $40 or $150, or $400... I really have no idea. (I am in no way planning to buy that exact ring, I just wanted to present a hypothetical situation.

Thanks guys!

Around here (Denver) you would be spending anywhere from $50 to maybe $200 depending on the details of the stone, what sorts of modifications were required and which store you ended up at. The first person I would ask about setting would be the mounting supplier and/or the diamond supplier by the way. I'm curious why you would avoid using them for this step but buy online for the diamond and the mounting.

Neil

Around here (Denver) you would be spending anywhere from $50 to maybe $200 depending on the details of the stone, what sorts of modifications were required and which store you ended up at. The first person I would ask about setting would be the mounting supplier and/or the diamond supplier by the way. I'm curious why you would avoid using them for this step but buy online for the diamond and the mounting.

Neil

Yeah, eventually when I buy the ring from a local store and the diamond from online, I will ask the local store what there policy is about setting a diamond that doesn't come from their store. I have just been curious as to about what I can expect them to quote back as a price.

I would certainly advise buying the setting from the same seller you by the diamond from.

By trying to piecemeal this thing out, you can end up on the short end of the stick. If you're buying a diamond in the setting from the same place, and they somehow damage the diamond, you're going to be covered.

I haven't bought anything yet. Trust me when I say I will take all precautions and know every sellers policies when I do. What it comes down to is this, I will not buy a ring from an online vendor because this is something that I must see first, AND, I will not buy a diamond from a local store because of the vast savings you can get online. Before I commit to buying any stone or setting I will make sure of responsibility for the stone during setting and know all of their policies. The original question was how much approx. could I expect to spend to have a jeweler set a stone and I think it has been answered pretty well.

Ok guys, I understand not to skimp on getting the stone set. But this is the one area im pretty uneducated on when it comes to buying a diamond. It is important to me because the diamond setting is one thing I will not buy from an online vender. When it comes to buying the actual diamond, I feel that the experts (If I buy from Barry) will have a better eye than I have, but only I know what I'm looking for in the actual ring. So I will be buying a diamond online (for the obvious financial advantages) and buying the ring in a local store.

With that said, I know how you guys work, not able to give actual specific answers (which is justified mostly) so I will present a hypothetical situation. If I were to own this ring... http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-R...-Ring-1094.html

with no diamond, and were to buy a diamond online, about what could I expect to pay an independent local jeweler to get it set? Are we talking $40 or $150, or $400... I really have no idea. (I am in no way planning to buy that exact ring, I just wanted to present a hypothetical situation.

Thanks guys!

If you bought the diamond from Barry and you are getting his mounting I would have him set it for you. It's always best to get both mounting and diamond from the same place and then the labor as well.

Princess cut diamonds are probably one of the most difficult diamonds to set and can chip easily in the setting process unless the setter is very good and takes his time. And then even if he is experienced sometimes accidents do happen. I would make sure that whoever sets the stone, they are responsible for the diamond in the event of chipping it. They should also have some insurance for setting and insuring it while in their store in their possession. It might be a good question to ask before leaving it with anyone if going the piece work way.

Edited by jan