Diamond Opinion

snicker1

First time poster and first time diamond buyer. I am buying a diamond and would like to get anyones educated opinion on the specs of this diamond as I am told it is Triple Ideal and hearts and arrows.

1.3, J, VS1

Mined in Canada with the Canada

Mark laser inscribed on the girdle

IGI Lab graded,excellent cut,excellent polish and excellent symmetry

Measurments

depth 61.9

table 57.5%

crown 35 degrees

pavillion 41 degrees

Diamond measures 7.00 x 7.03 x 4.34mm.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We don’t have much to go on. What are you asking?

Made in Canada is nice. They have lots of good stones from there. Canadamark is an authentication method for their stones and it includes a girdle inscription.

IGI isn’t very forthcoming about their grading scale for ‘triple ideal’ or what their standards are for hearts and arrows but it includes some beautiful stones.

IGI is not generally very well regarded for their grading of color and clarity but this doesn’t make them wrong either. Whether it’s been correctly graded depends on YOUR stone, not on some general impression of the lab.

Have you seen it? Has anyone else other than IGI? Do you love it?

Neil

We don’t have much to go on. What are you asking?

Made in Canada is nice. They have lots of good stones from there. Canadamark is an authentication method for their stones and it includes a girdle inscription.

IGI isn’t very forthcoming about their grading scale for ‘triple ideal’ or what their standards are for hearts and arrows but it includes some beautiful stones.

IGI is not generally very well regarded for their grading of color and clarity but this doesn’t make them wrong either. Whether it’s been correctly graded depends on YOUR stone, not on some general impression of the lab.

Have you seen it? Has anyone else other than IGI? Do you love it?

Neil

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen it. A jeweler out of duluth is sending it to me. I haven't heard or read much about igi so it is good to know. I am wondering if those measurments (in general) indicate it would be in the range to be classified as "ideal". I understand proportions of the diamond are very important to its brilliance and just wanted to know if this is average, good or very good demensions for a diamond. Seeing it will tell a lot but just cautious about buying online.

Thanks again.

Those proportions look fine but there’s not enough information there to tell you if it’s going to be a pretty stone or not. My guess is that it will be. I would further guess that if there’s to be an issue, it’ll be about that J/VS1 grading. There’s a bit of free education to be had by playing a bit with the database at the top of the page under ‘find online jeweler’. The difference between J-K is on the order of 15-20% in that size so it’s a pretty important question. Notice also how much difference it makes which lab graded the stone. Are you planning on getting it appraised by an independent?

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Those proportions look fine but there’s not enough information there to tell you if it’s going to be a pretty stone or not. My guess is that it will be. I would further guess that if there’s to be an issue, it’ll be about that J/VS1 grading. There’s a bit of free education to be had by playing a bit with the database at the top of the page under ‘find online jeweler’. The difference between J-K is on the order of 15-20% in that size so it’s a pretty important question. Notice how much difference it makes which lab graded the stone. Are you planning on getting it appraised by an independent?

Neil

I agree with you there. I am going to get it appraised by a independent gemologist and hopefully that will confirm what the igi cert defines it as. Thanks again for your help.