Diamond Color

StephNJ

So my fiance and I went shopping for a ring on Jewlers Row in Philadelphia. We ended up finding a 3 stone ring that has a AGS Cert 1 carat center stone with an ideal cut, VVS1 clarity, no flourescence, but a Q-R color. Now this obviously made me nervious with the low color grade. However they pulled a H color stone out of the case and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. We are going back today to look again; is there anything else that we should be asking? Is getting this low of a color grade really a bad idea?

So my fiance and I went shopping for a ring on Jewlers Row in Philadelphia. We ended up finding a 3 stone ring that has a AGS Cert 1 carat center stone with an ideal cut, VVS1 clarity, no flourescence, but a Q-R color. Now this obviously made me nervious with the low color grade. However they pulled a H color stone out of the case and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. We are going back today to look again; is there anything else that we should be asking? Is getting this low of a color grade really a bad idea?

It's all a matter of perspective....

It's a very bad idea if you're expectations are that you wish to get a white color diamond and others will be comparing/expecting it to be white or looking to resell/upgrade later on.

It's a very good idea if you're happy with it, happy with the warmer color and want the biggest, nicest cut rock for the best possible price.

Just make sure if you do buy it, you're paying what it's really worth, don't pay slightly less then the H color. It should have a big discount comparitively speaking. Something on the order of a 50% discount +/- if you ask me, perhaps more.

PS --- what did they compare it to? A 1 carat GIA "H" or some IGI or EGL-International graded "H"?

Edited by Adylon

It really is a matter of preference. If you are looking for a white diamond, then the one in question would actually look faint yellow or stained. You need to see the diamond in natural light to get a fair idea of the color. If you get a great deal and actually plan to buy the ring, just make your decission based on the diamond shape. An emerald cut or princesss cut diamond would be a bad choice for the lower color grade diamond. Prefer a round instead.

An emerald cut or princesss cut diamond would be a bad choice for the lower color grade diamond. Prefer a round instead.

All due respect, but that opinion is biased. In fact, we have many people who look for emerald cuts in these color grades.

I'm still curious to know if StephNJ is looking for a white diamond or a diamond that has warmth to its color