Scared And In Need Of Your Help

romyr9

Hi All,

I'm getting married and I'm about to buy a square-radiant diamond. I found a diamond that fits my 4C criteria, and it looks nice, but several aspects of it concern me such as the Depth and Table proportions, and Girdle. Does this diamond seem to shallow? How do I know if too much light is escaping out of the bottom of the diamond, or if it's not refracting light optimally? Is there a such thing as optimal table and depth proportions for a square radiant diamond? I have done a ton of homework on all different aspects of diamonds, but I am still afraid to make such an expensive purchase if the diamond isn't good for the price I'm paying. Here are the specs:

GIA

Shape and Cutting Style: CUT-CORNERED SQUARE MODIFIED BRILLIANT

Measurements: 6.66 x 6.66 x 3.87 mm

Weight: 1.51 carat

Proportions

Depth: 58.1%

Table: 76%

Girdle: SLIGHTLY THICK TO EXTREMELY THICK

Culet: NONE

Finish

Polish: GOOD

Symmetry: GOOD

Clarity Grade: VS2

Color Grade: G

Fluorescence: NONE

Comments: NONE

Price: $8,000

I know that specs don't tell the whole story, and actually looking at the diamond is the best test. In my novice opinion, "it looks pretty." But I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision, and that there aren't any glaring problems with this diamond. Thanks for your expert help!

Romy

Edited by romyr9

Sorry I modified the post to add all the specs because because I hit enter too quickly. We decided on a square shaped radiant because it matches the ring we want to get. I know radiant diamonds tend to be more rectangular.

Regarding the dimensions, I thought the big table made the diamond itself look larger. When looking at this diamond under a light, side by side with another one which has a 64% table and 59.3% depth, it seemed to have few "dead spots" or shadows (sorry for not knowing the exact terminology) in comparison.

Is the danger in buying a diamond with a larger table but shallower depth that it will look darker down the middle?

Thanks again for your help.

Is the danger in buying a diamond with a larger table but shallower depth that it will look darker down the middle?

Thanks again for your help.

It probably wont get as great of light return to the eye as a well cut stone. Also if in the future you ever wanted to sell it again, it might be a hard sell with those dimensions. Just something to think about in the future.

HI romyr9,

since you have seen the diamond, your impression is very important. Did you like the diamond?

One thing that is a concern to me, believe it or not, is that the price is too low. If you've seen the diamond, and you are comfortable with the vendor, then I guess it's no problem.

Generally speaking....if someone told me they were looking at a 1.50 G/VS2 for $8,000, I would be concerned as the price raises some red flags.

HI romyr9,

since you have seen the diamond, your impression is very important. Did you like the diamond?

One thing that is a concern to me, believe it or not, is that the price is too low. If you've seen the diamond, and you are comfortable with the vendor, then I guess it's no problem.

Generally speaking....if someone told me they were looking at a 1.50 G/VS2 for $8,000, I would be concerned as the price raises some red flags.

Thanks for the response. I saw the diamond yesterday and I did like it. I'm buying the diamond from a wholesaler in the jewlery district of downtown LA. He's giving it to me for roughly 33% below rapaport, which I heard is good for a GIA diamond but not unreasonable. I have a friend whose dealt with him before and he seems trustworthy. I tried my best to look for things like fraction-filling and laser drilling using my own loop and didn't see any.

HI romyr9,

Thanks for the response. I saw the diamond yesterday and I did like it. I'm buying the diamond from a wholesaler in the jewlery district of downtown LA. He's giving it to me for roughly 33% below rapaport, which I heard is good for a GIA diamond but not unreasonable. I have a friend whose dealt with him before and he seems trustworthy. I tried my best to look for things like fraction-filling and laser drilling using my own loop and didn't see any.

Just curious, who is the "wholesaler" selling this diamond?