Which One Would You Choose?

udaman55

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have been looking around quite a bit and I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from the community on their thoughts about the below diamonds. I was all set to get diamond 1 from a broker here in Dallas until I talked to my parents and they referred me to a family friend who sent the information on the second diamond. Based on these prices which diamond would you choose? I have only seen the first diamond, have not had a chance to see the second diamond yet. Thanks in advance.

Diamond 1

Price: $5600

Carat Weight: 1.14

Round Stone

Clarity: SI1

Color: G

Cut: Excellent

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Vergy Good

Diamond 2

Price: $6000

Carat Weight: 1.00

Round Stone

Clarity: VS2

Color: F

Cut: Ideal plus (heart & arrow)

Edited by udaman55

Who graded the stones?

'Ideal plus' is not a grading term used by any lab I'm aware of. I'm especially curious who made this determination and what scale they were using.

Can you get copies of the grading reports, photographs, ASET or Idealscope imagery or anything else to go on?

So you've seen stone #1 at a dealer who is local to you and all you have is specs on #2, correct? What did you think of it when you saw it?

Neil

Who graded the stones?

'Ideal plus' is not a grading term used by any lab I'm aware of. I'm especially curious who made this determination and what scale they were using.

Can you get copies of the grading reports, photographs, ASET or Idealscope imagery or anything else to go on?

So you've seen stone #1 at a dealer who is local to you and all you have is specs on #2, correct? What did you think of it when you saw it?

Neil

I will see what I can do as far as grading reports, photographs, etc. All that I have is specs on #2, the diamond is in Austin and I will be looking at it this weekend. I realize that ideal plus is not an actual grade, I think the family friend was trying to get across the point that it was a better than the excellent cut i was looking at due to the H&A.

I was impressed with diamond #1, and I was set to purchase it until this family friend came along.

Edited by udaman55

It may indeed be better, but I would want more than just a dealer claim from a competitor to support it. It’s a smaller stone for more money and what you get in exchange are some things you can’t see. I have no particular problem with this and I love spectacular cutting but terms like this get used very lightly and often are used to conceal information rather than to reveal it. Most stones that are trying to get a premium for cutting show some semblance of H&A patterning so this claim also is subject to the question – According to whom?

Out of curiosity, is H&A patterning something you’re specifically looking for or are you just interested because it’s ‘better’?

Neil

I was not originally looking for a H&A setting, I guess that I am more interested in the diamond because I perceive it as being "better". I was originally focusing on trying to get a diamond that looked great to the naked eye. I actually went and looked at different diamonds with my girlfriend and she didnt care about size, she focused more on the the color and brilliance. Broker #2 claims that this diamond will look better and when I try to compare prices online #1 seems inline with other prices while #2 seems like I am getting a pretty good deal. Also I have heard from both Brokers and I should be getting electronic copies of the GIA report within the next couple of days.

Thanks for your feedback Neil.