Looking For Reputable Place To Sell A Ring In Manhattan

CKNY

I am selling a ring on behalf of my parents. It is gold with a bunch (approx 15) of baguette diamonds surrounding a Trillian diamond in a triangular/ribbon design. I am not sure of the amount of carats but I do know how much my parents paid (bought from a jewler that my parents were friendly with) approx 15 years ago.

Is there anywhere on 47th St (or elsewhere in Manhattan) that anyone can suggest as a fair & reputable place to sell?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CKNY

Here's what you have to remember, although people buying diamonds on 47th St, likely will not tell you this.

If a hypothetical store is selling a diamond for $10,000, they probably paid around $6000 or $7,000 for it.

The store bought it from a dealer, that they know and trust, and do business with on a regular basis. They most likely did not have to pay for the stone immediately, instead they probably got it on some sort of a credit arrangement.

If you had the very same diamond, it would be worth no more than $3000 to the same stores-mainly due to the fact that you can offer them the advantages they get from their regular suppliers.

The bottom line is that a consumer selling a ring to a store is going to take a lot less than it would sell for retail

I am selling a ring on behalf of my parents. It is gold with a bunch (approx 15) of baguette diamonds surrounding a Trillian diamond in a triangular/ribbon design. I am not sure of the amount of carats but I do know how much my parents paid (bought from a jewler that my parents were friendly with) approx 15 years ago.

Is there anywhere on 47th St (or elsewhere in Manhattan) that anyone can suggest as a fair & reputable place to sell?

Thanks in advance.

How large is the center stone? This will be the determining factor. I would get it measured/appraised prior to trying to negotiate price with anyone. If it's under 1ct, you may be dissapointed with any offers. If it's under 1/2ct many dealers may just not wish to buy it. So I'd figure out what the value of your center diamond and the rest of the ring is, and weigh your options from there. Either you can sell it to a jeweler, or to a private party (ie on ebay, etc). Again if it's a smaller center stone the 2nd option may be best for you.

Good luck,

Yosef

Thanks for the help.

So I guess my next question is who do you reccomend for a cheap & fair appraisal?

Thanks in advance.

How large is the center stone? This will be the determining factor. I would get it measured/appraised prior to trying to negotiate price with anyone. If it's under 1ct, you may be dissapointed with any offers. If it's under 1/2ct many dealers may just not wish to buy it. So I'd figure out what the value of your center diamond and the rest of the ring is, and weigh your options from there. Either you can sell it to a jeweler, or to a private party (ie on ebay, etc). Again if it's a smaller center stone the 2nd option may be best for you.

Good luck,

Yosef

Yes, take it to David, he knows his fancy shapes and could probably estimate carat weight very accurately. I'm sure he could also point you in the direction of an appraiser or a buyer for the diamond as well. Neil probably knows a few appraisers in the area also.

Best,

Yosef

Edited by Adylon