F Vs2 1.51 Carat Did I Find A Buy?

rocket9

My plan was for an H VS2 with great proportions and $8000 - $8500, but I came across this and and have some questions below:

Measurements: 7.40 - 7.44 x 4.58 mm

Carat Weight: 1.51

Color Grade: F

Clarity Grade: VS2

Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 61.7 %

Table: 56 %

Crown Angle: 33.5°

Crown Height: 14.5 %

Pavilion Angle: 41.4°

Pavilion Depth: 44 %

Star length: 55 %

Lower Half: 80 %

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Culet: Very Small

Finish:

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Comments: Pinpoints are not shown.

My questions: Keep in mind that I cannot find a F VS2 1.50 VG cut or better online less than 14.5K or for that matter a H VS2 EX for under the price of this rock (very close to 4 digits)

a) Cutlet Very Small is this OK?

:( Depth - any belief that below 61% is better

c) Pavilion Angle: a litter large will light/brilliance be OK

d) Girdle thin to medium: was looking for med-stk as she works with her hands sometimes, (science teacher), is this ok? ie any more likely to chip

e) Is the extra size over and H VS2 worth it in peoples opinion. I will be blowing through my budget but I guess I knew it was coming

Thanks

AJ

Edited by rocket9

Let me guess... this was graded by "Bozo's Gem Lab" right?

It's quite simple, if this is not a GIA report do not consider the diamond.

The price alone indicates that someone is trying to rip you off.

Nope GIA, not an old report either Late 2007

Edited by rocket9

Let me guess... this was graded by "Bozo's Gem Lab" right?

It's quite simple, if this is not a GIA report do not consider the diamond.

The price alone indicates that someone is trying to rip you off.

Nope GIA, not an old report either November 2007

This is a dealer. A friend had bought a diamond there a nice H VS1 and he will not buy a toothbrush without a lot of research. (a family connection I guess) I dropped the name, so I have a little confidence in him before meeting him and seeing the rock. I will check on return policy or I could pony up for an independent appraisal.

In any event if everything is on the level what are your thoughts

Edited by rocket9

I will check on return policy or I could pony up for an independent appraisal.

In any event if everything is on the level what are your thoughts

It's not an either/or type issue. Getting an independent appraisal is where I was going with that question. Please bear in mind that it’s not independent if the appraiser is hired or even especially recommended by the seller. You should be allowed to choose anyone you want. Ideally, the appraiser shouldn’t even know who the seller is (and visa versa). Having the dealer send it out to one of his friends is NOT the same thing. The straightforward way to do this is to buy it with a 100% return privilege for a week or two and then spend that time getting your appraisal done.

I have no problems with anything in the specs but I agree with David that the price is suspiciously low for a stone of that description. That's the only red flag I see so far but it's a pretty big one.

Neil

Hi Rocket,

see, here's the problem many people face when buying a diamond. If I told you I had a brand-new 911 Carrera Porsche for $20,000. You would immediately know I was lying, or selling stolen car.

Offering you the Diamond described for $10,000 is exactly the same thing. It's too far below market. Which shows that something is amiss someplace

Hi Rocket,

see, here's the problem many people face when buying a diamond. If I told you I had a brand-new 911 Carrera Porsche for $20,000. You would immediately know I was lying, or selling stolen car.

Offering you the Diamond described for $10,000 is exactly the same thing. It's too far below market. Which shows that something is amiss someplace

I hear you guys, worth checking out though right. Any suggestions on going about getting an appraisal? I wanted to get this set for delivery in mid march. if I got a 30 day 100% return could i get it reasonably appraised in the setting? Otherwise, I am not sure how to suggest an independent appraisal before purchasing

Also, any concern with a thin to medium girdle, high pavilion values, depth. I guess I am skeptical of even GIA standards. If I decide to pass on this it would be some useful info. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by rocket9

Ever hear the expression "Re-arranging Deck Chairs on the Titanic?"

IT'S A SCAM- since the offer is clearly bogus, who cares what they call the girdle? What part about this is unclear?

Easy dude, wouldn't an appraisal solve the issue? Judging by the stuff on your website I am not sure I would value you opinion too strongly, but thanks for the warnings nonetheless

IT'S A SCAM- since the offer is clearly bogus, who cares what they call the girdle? What part about this is unclear?

Easy dude, wouldn't an appraisal solve the issue? Judging by the stuff on your website I am not sure I would value you opinion too strongly, but thanks for the warnings nonetheless

[/quote

Also, for denver appraiser. Checked out website, good stuff, saw the cut grades info, and the 44% Pavilion seems to fall into AGS1 and 2A on AGA (Commercial grade?) At the end of the day I don't care if I got a great value, just want a diamond that will look good, and smaller is fine with me. With that being said I would appreciate any advice from the appraiser side of the table. Thanks again...I think I am getting paralysis of analysis.

Where are you?

Unfortunately there aren’t really all that many independent appraisers around but there are several dozen of us and if one turns out to be close to home it’s easy to arrange. Failing that, FedEx and the US Post Office offer excellent services that can get you to an appraiser pretty much anywhere in the country. 30 days is plenty. If you schedule things in advance you can do it in 7, even with a long distance appraiser. Personally, I recommend Colorado. :)

Some places to look:

www.americangemsociety.org

www.appraisers.org

www.najappraisers.org

www.google.com

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

[/quote

Also, for denver appraiser. Checked out website, good stuff, saw the cut grades info, and the 44% Pavilion seems to fall into AGS1 and 2A on AGA (Commercial grade?) At the end of the day I don't care if I got a great value, just want a diamond that will look good, and smaller is fine with me. With that being said I would appreciate any advice from the appraiser side of the table. Thanks again...I think I am getting paralysis of analysis.

I look him in they eye as he is about 20 minutes away. God what did you think I was buying a diamond on ebay or something?..I am done with you anyhow

Rocket, I have been posting here for many years, there have been many cases confused identity, or people whose intentions were muddled.

It was never my intention to insult you, but sometimes the patience does wear thin.

A question for Neil: say a consumer shopping for a diamond. Let's also stipulate that the consumer finds an ad for a diamond, which raises red flags. One reason for this might be a price which is 25% lower than comparable deals are charging for a similar diamond.

I believe that a 1.51 F/VS2 round diamond with a G.I.A. report for $10,000 would meet this description.

Would you suggest that such a consumer should send money to the questionable dealer, with the intention of sending the diamond to someone like yourself to see what happened? Or would it be smarter to find a dealer, whose ads do not raise such questions?

I know that Neil is one of the best at his profession. I've spoken to them many times, and he's extremely knowledgeable, and professional.

I would have no hesitation whatsoever recommending Neil, in his professional capacity to anyone -I respect him that much.

But I don't believe is the type of situation, where Neil's expertise would actually be of assistance. One of the reasons my patience has worn thin is the hundreds of cases of people who come on here finding a deal that's too good to be true, and expecting to get it fixed by sending it to a third party.

In some ways, I feel that answering specific questions about a diamond, whose existence is in question in a case like this, is actually doing a disservice to the consumer.

All the best rocket and I hope you enjoy whenever diamond you end up with!

Thanks no harm, I was obviously leary as well when I compared prices. I will take all the precautions. I am not sending my money but looking at the diamond at the jewelers that I have reason to believe is legit. Not that this means anything but owner graduated from GIA gemologist program. Further you can be rest assured that I will not hand over a dime unless I get at minimum a 30day full return for any reason in writing. I will then have an independent appraisal done from someone I have already been in touch with. Take care I will keep you posted on my progress.

Alex

Neil, I'm not speaking specifically about rocket, rather a general question that got brought up through this conversation.

My question is: say someone shopping for a diamond finds a quote, which raises these red flags. The red flags we're talking about are prices which are far below market, or supposedly high quality stones which have questionable lab reports.

Are they better off sending the money to a questionable dealer, hoping that an appraiser can help them?

Or would they be better off finding a dealer whose representation does not cause these doubts?

My recommended strategy is to FIRST choose the dealer or perhaps a couple of dealers.

Then choose the stone(s).

Then choose the appraiser.

Shopping for price first based on lab specs and going with whoever quotes the lowest number is almost always a recipe for trouble. Evaluating the credibility of the offer(s) is part of the process of evaluating the dealer. At the same time, an attractive offer from a dealer who has already demonstrated their merit should be considered. If it proves to be false, reconsider not just the stone but the dealer as well.

Neil

Boston's easy.

Try Cindy Konney http://www.negemlab.com/

or Jeff Averbook http://www.metrojewelryappraisers.com/

Both should be prepared to do the work while you wait.

Neil

Neil,

I was checking out your website. If an individual would purchase a diamond (single) what would you recommend? I noticed there was a cert match and an appraisal, I would imagine they are both appraisals but the cert mathced gives you more detail. What would be an estimate on price for the cert evaluation?