Finding An Assher, Leary Of Seller Now

B. Russell

I'm reposting this here hoping that someone will respond to it soon!!

>>>>

Hello all!

I've been shopping over the past month for a diamond...about .65 carats Assher, SI1, G to H color, no flour., no cutlet, with appropriate proportions.

The best I've found price wise is $2287.35 from Fred Cuellar's Diamond Cutters International. I've been dealing with Dee there on both the diamond and band.

I was very positive with my experience and have come to trust Dee. Not only can the price not be beat thus far, but she has always given me sound advice, at least I think so.

Lately, however, as I've moved more towards making this a purchase I've been reading cuations online from others that I didn't knotice before. Everything from Fred being a convicted felon to questionable measurements. No one though has come out and said, hey don't buy from them...and some have said they ahd great experiences.

I've been trememdously leary about buying a diamond, and it's only getting worse when I found stuff like the above out. How can I trust anyone? I've talked with a local diamond jeweler, but their prices were ridiculous!! I mean Diamond cutters intl is quoting me $3387 for what I want, band and diamond...the local guy wants nearly $5000.

Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks!!!!

I can't offer any advice about the specific seller that you've mentioned.

As a general rule, I would say go with your gut. If you feel very comfortable, you probably know what to do.

If you been reading these boards, there are some questions you might have. Does this time and have a G.I.A. report?

Based upon your split grade( G-H color), I would say that it does not possess a GIA report.

Again, I'm not speaking about particular seller you're dealing with, but rather with purchasing diamonds in general. The lack of a GIA report does call the grading into question. That would make it more difficult to do comparison price shopping.

I'd also suggest that a retail jeweler, who has a walk-in store, has a right to charge more for the same diamond.

That particular dealer is unpopular because there is some poorly thought out advice in his book and he’s aggressive about slamming his competition while promoting himself. I’ve not read what he has to say about Asschers but I agree with his critics that there are details in his advice about cutting with regards to rounds are simply not correct and that he tends to describe his competition using gross overgeneralizations that are often undeserved. For me that would be a problem but if you're aware of the baggage and are ok with it and if you find them easy to work with then you’ve found your dealer. They are legitimate store and they have tons of satisfied customers. Now it’s a matter of picking the stone.

Beating select local stores on price is generally not all that difficult. All but the most expensive can arrange to do this. If you want to compare prices against the most cost competitive dealers, look to the Internet sellers. Are you working with DCI at their store of long distance?

‘With appropriate proportions’ is an extremely broad category covering some complicated material and a wide range both in terms of look and prices. Any idea what she means by that? Have you seen the stone? Do you love it? Have you had the opportunity to compare it with other similar stones? It's kind of like buying a used car and having the salesman tells you that it's runs. This is certainly good news as far as it goes but most people need to know more.

Neil