Cracked Ring Setting

sarotara

Hi everyone,

I bought an engagement ring a couple of months ago (three-stone ring with a total of 1.20ct of diamonds, 18K white gold, prince cut). I had the ring resized to 3.375 due to my fiancee's small hands. She didn't really wear it that often for fear of losing it, etc. Just today, however, she noticed two cracks in the ring setting. We're both quite sure that the ring wasn't dropped or hit against anything. Where could these cracks come from? I'm linking two pictures to the images of the cracks. The cracks look virtually identical except that they're on opposite sides of the ring, on both mounts for the side stones. Any help would be appreciated before I go visit the jeweler where I bought the ring.

The crack is right beneath the left stone.

Crack #1

10qcc1w.jpg

Crack #2

rjo09e.jpg

I apologize for the image quality, but that's the best I can do with my digital camera.

It depends on the policies of the jeweler but yes, I would expect the repair to be free. I agree with Jan but it’s likely that it happened during the sizing but since it’s new merchandise from the same jeweler it doesn’t really matter. The other choice is that it’s a manufacturing defect. This is not something that you could do by wearing it so either way the finger points the same direction.

Neil

It depends on the policies of the jeweler but yes, I would expect the repair to be free. I agree with Jan but it’s likely that it happened during the sizing but since it’s new merchandise from the same jeweler it doesn’t really matter. The other choice is that it’s a manufacturing defect. This is not something that you could do by wearing it so either way the finger points the same direction.

Neil

All right. I appreciate the help. I will talk to the jeweler next Monday. I'll let you know what happened. Thanks again!

Glad to help.

By the way, I'll bet that stone is loose also. Make sure they check it out while they have it.

Neil

I stopped by the jeweler today. The jeweler wasn't there, but one of the sales people said that this is the first time in 15 years that she's seen something like this. They said that it could possibly be due to the resizing and that they will fix it free of charge. Thank you for the help everyone.