Oval Diamond-a Good Buy?

jcg2725

I have an oval diamond that is 3.01 carats. H color, SI1 clarity. Its depth is 56.4, which I think may be lower than normal. It has a length width ration of 1.24, which makes it a little shorter and fatter than long. The sale price is 18,000. Any advice on whether this is a good diamond?

If it’s accurately graded and at least decently cut your price is fine but those are big ifs. There’s nothing like enough information to tell you anything useful about the cutting. You're right that's on the thin side.

Are you the buyer or the seller? Have you seen it? Do you love it? Who graded it?

Neil

I would disagree with the price being fine. The price, which is too low, is generally evidence of something shady. $18,000 for a 3 ct HSI1 oval is too low based on current market standards for well cut accurately graded diamonds with gia reports. This is very likely a prime example of where sub standard non-GIA reports can prove to put buyers in a very confusing position

I am the buyer of the diamond. It was graded by EGL International. The stone is really beautiful in person. I've consulted with another jeweler who also said the price was ridiculously low, but she felt it was legitimate as she knows the jeweler selling the stone. Would it being some kind of treated stone account for the lower price? The jeweler has not indicated that it has been treated, but I haven't asked either.

EGLI has some reliability type topics but it’s pretty likely if it’s treated this will be mentioned on the report. Far more suspect are the clarity and color. It makes a huge difference if it’s really a J/SI2 or even a K/I1. No, this is not out of the question.

David's right, there's something going on. The question is deciding what it is.

Neil

I agree with Neil. Although EGL grading can be totally whacked out, if the diamond was treated, they would note that.

This is just another example of how misgrading is one of the most difficult issues facing shoppers of diamonds.

I love to use car analogies.

A diamond dealer knows which report to trust in which report is bogus. Not all consumers share this knowledge. Back to the car analogy.

If you walk onto a dealer's lot and he had a Yugo, with a piece of paper stating that the Yugo was a Porsche, you would likely know the difference. Here we have a case of someone claiming a diamond to be something, which it simply can't be, based on the price being asked. But how would you know that? You're not a diamond dealer.

Can you get an idea of why this kind of thing peeves me so badly?

I'd be very weary of buying a 3ct-anything EGL-Int'l stone. If you decide to purchase be sure to have independantly appraised. I'd even recommend sending out to GIA and waiting the 2-3 weeks for a proper grade. If the seller will not state in writing they will buy back the stone if graded lower then you know the true value of the diamond.