Question About Appropriate Ring Width

nbuubu

I'm just starting to look for an engagement ring and would really appreciate some words of wisdom.

I've pretty much decided on getting a 1CT(or thereabouts), F/E, VVS2/1 Asscher cut diamond with the best cut I can find. Seems to be where I'm most comfortable budget-wise.

My question is about the width of the actual ring itself. It seems as though a 1CT Asscher diamond is about 5.5mm by 5.5mm on top, so would a 3mm platinum ring look better than a slimmer 2.5mm one? I haven't been able to find any recommendations about the width of the ring itself, relative to the carat weight of the diamond. Is there some sort of rule or guideline I should be following?

Been looking at Exceldiamonds.com (stopped by a few times when I lived in NYC, my GF and I recently moved to San Francisco) and Bluenile.com and am trying to find the best all-in-one online solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give.

I'm just starting to look for an engagement ring and would really appreciate some words of wisdom.

I've pretty much decided on getting a 1CT(or thereabouts), F/E, VVS2/1 Asscher cut diamond with the best cut I can find. Seems to be where I'm most comfortable budget-wise.

My question is about the width of the actual ring itself. It seems as though a 1CT Asscher diamond is about 5.5mm by 5.5mm on top, so would a 3mm platinum ring look better than a slimmer 2.5mm one? I haven't been able to find any recommendations about the width of the ring itself, relative to the carat weight of the diamond. Is there some sort of rule or guideline I should be following?

Been looking at Exceldiamonds.com (stopped by a few times when I lived in NYC, my GF and I recently moved to San Francisco) and Bluenile.com and am trying to find the best all-in-one online solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give.

There seems to be a need for more real information on the size differences between asschers and rounds. More than once I've heard people online telling others considering an asscher that a 2.00ct will look like a 1.00 ct round. This is not the case in reality.

1.93 Royal Asscher is measuring 7.01 x 6.97 mm.

1.74 ct. ideal cut round measures 7.76 x 7.81 mm.

These measurements can be misconstrued. For one measuring a round diamond involves minimum to maximum diameter of a circumference. On an asscher cut are measuring just the sides. If we take this stone the 1.93 ct. for example, the diagonal corner to corner measurement is 7.85x7.82. That is why it will look similar to the 1.74 ct. in appearance.

3mm won't look bad. Keep in mind that the measurements of an asscher are length to width. Diagonally it will measure larger

post-10-1202241089_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much. I'm still fairly undecided but I really just like the elegant look of the Asscher diamond, and was confused a bit when I saw the ring width choices on Bluenile. From what I've been reading I think I might be able to bump the size of the diamond up a bit by searching around a bit more. Only started looking at exceldiamonds today and they seem to have better prices.

I just want something a bit more unique than a round diamond for my lady, and starting to think I could probably drop down to a VS1 and a G/H color and bump up the carat weight considerably.

Thanks again.

A great question nbuubu!

I think a lot of people overlook the importance of a ring, and the small details and how that affects their overall experience of their Diamond.

For example, shank with and profile should reflect the Diamond's personality.

It's not that a square emerald cut or an emerald cut, will look bad with a half round shank. It's just that it seems to miss taking advantage of the square shape of the stone to incorporate some sort of shank that echoes that.

Asscher1.jpg

The stone above is set into a shank that is about 3 mm wide at its thickest point.