Expert Buying Tips Please!

SaraDBX

Hi Everyone,

I know very little about diamonds and would like some advice before making a purchase. I am looking for a diamond with the following specs: 3 carats, G colour, SI1, vg or ex polish/symmetry. I am planning to buy from Union Diamond but will have to fly to Hong Kong to collect the diamond, as I live in Dubai and UD are not able to courier here, and HK is the nearest tax free location. I have compared the prices in local shops here to UD and, even with the travel expenses, I would save a huge amount of money. I have some questions for the experts here:

1. I am looking for a diamond spec that offers the best value for money vs quality. Are the specs I have chosen a good choice?

2. I was offered a diamond with a HRD certificate last week in a local shop.. who are they? The UD diamonds I have seen mostly have GIA or EGL.. big difference in pricing.. is there a difference in the quality of the diamond?

3. SI1.. where are the best places to have inclusions on a diamond, that would have the least impact on it?

4. I read that polish/symmetry is very important so I am looking for vg or above.. any thoughts on this?

5. My big worry is that when I get the diamond at take it to a local jeweller in HK, they tell me its actually not the grade it is supposed to be, and I should return it. Does anyone know anything about Union Diamond here? I have emailed them and they have been very helpful.

6. Does anyone know a reputable diamond dealer in Dubai?

Thanks in advance..

Sara

• 1 year later...
Hi Everyone,

I know very little about diamonds and would like some advice before making a purchase. I am looking for a diamond with the following specs: 3 carats, G colour, SI1, vg or ex polish/symmetry. I am planning to buy from Union Diamond but will have to fly to Hong Kong to collect the diamond, as I live in Dubai and UD are not able to courier here, and HK is the nearest tax free location. I have compared the prices in local shops here to UD and, even with the travel expenses, I would save a huge amount of money. I have some questions for the experts here:

1. I am looking for a diamond spec that offers the best value for money vs quality. Are the specs I have chosen a good choice?

2. I was offered a diamond with a HRD certificate last week in a local shop.. who are they? The UD diamonds I have seen mostly have GIA or EGL.. big difference in pricing.. is there a difference in the quality of the diamond?

3. SI1.. where are the best places to have inclusions on a diamond, that would have the least impact on it?

4. I read that polish/symmetry is very important so I am looking for vg or above.. any thoughts on this?

5. My big worry is that when I get the diamond at take it to a local jeweller in HK, they tell me its actually not the grade it is supposed to be, and I should return it. Does anyone know anything about Union Diamond here? I have emailed them and they have been very helpful.

6. Does anyone know a reputable diamond dealer in Dubai?

Thanks in advance..

Sara

Hi Sara,

I know one diamond dealer from whom i regularly purchase diamond. His name is Jay. You can contact him at 00971509021800

His email id is: contactjayparekh@yahoo.com

He may surely help you.

Anna.

Hi Sara, welcome!

1. It depends on what you mean by "quality" and "value". Some people prefer icy whites, some prefer warmer colours, and anyway sensitivity to colour varies among individuals. Same applies to tolerance for inclusions, and finishing. Cut and size deserve their own chapters; personally I find a 3ct round brilliant is way too big, and the premium asked for a 3 ct stone is too high to represent "good value", but that's a personal assessment. On cut, I think the information you are getting from Union Diamond is not sufficient to assess it properly. A GIA Excellent or AGSL Ideal cut grade is a good starting point, but not enough to get the very best, and again personal taste plays a role in what is a beautiful cut.

The combination of colour and clarity you picked will only ensure that you get a colourless diamond. The SI1 inclusion may be visible, and there is no way to tell without visual inspection - however, people's standards for "eye clean" vary, and you may well get an unexpected surprise. Working with a large volume, list-based dealer is not the best choice when return costs are high.

2. HRD is the Belgian "Diamond High Council", a state-sponsored non-profit organisation with a good reputation in Europe, but not so high in the US. Their cut grading system is - in my view - far too simplistic to be useful.

EGL has a reputation for low reliability in diamond grading. The problem is not that the stone itself is of lower quality, but you don't really know what to compare it to given the unreliability of the lab report. So the dealers discount EGL graded stones to what they think is a "realistic" assessment of colour and clarity. You may be lucky, or the opposite. Again - I'd consider only GIA or AGS graded stones if returning is basically a non-option.

3. It will depend on the type and colour of the inclusion, not just the location. There is no way to tell from a report plot whether the inclusion is visible with the naked eye. In general, something that is right under the table is going to be more visible than something tucked near the girdle, but it's not necesarily so in all cases.

4. Yes, but no. In itself, 'good' polish or symmetry will be impossible to distinguish from 'very good' or 'excellent' without a loupe or a microscope. However, if you are looking for the ultimate in cut, excellent (or ideal) symmetry and polish may well be a byproduct of a careful and time consuming cutting process. The impact of simmetry and polish on the actual "look" of the diamond will be negligible if graded 'good' or above.

5. Your concern on size, colour and clarity is easily solved if you choose a GIA or AGSL graded diamond. Union Diamonds is a well respected company, and they have no reason to ship you anything other than the stone you paid for. However, even if the diamond matches perfectly the grading report, it's still no guarantee it will look nice (or even that it will be eye clean).

6. Finally, an easy one. No, sorry.

Hope this helps!

Hi Sara,

Congratulaitons on the opportunity to purchase such an important diamond!

Davide gave a great answer- I have a few different viewpoints...

1) HRD- actually, my experience is that dealers in Europe do not respect the grading of HRD any more than that of EGL- which is to say, not much.

The general public in Europe is decidedly less educated about diamonds than the general public in the US- because diamonds are far less popular in most of the European countries.

2) I agree that Union Diamond has a good reputation- but remember- they do not have physical possession of the diamonds they offer.

This means they can not give you a personal opinion on what they are selling- in my opinion, a liability for the consumer who deserves the benefit of an expert opinion,

Hello Forum Members!

I am rinky and this is my first forum entry here.. Since I am new to forum community and I feel I am in midst of my own learning curve. I feel sometimes, that I have to learn a lot, hope you guys have patient on me.

Thanks for reading me and giving me your valuable time.

Nice information regarding diamond, very useful information to newbie like me.

I would just like to add that consumers are getting the cut grade mixed up with polish and symmetry lately. Especially the ones that are trying too purchase diamonds by paper only without any photos of the stone or even anyone evaluating the stone in person. It is a dangerous way to purchase a diamond.