What Do You Think About This Igi Diamond ($2700.00)

04gixxer6

Hello, I've been trolling around trying to learn before I went out and looked at diamonds. Now I have found a diamond I am interested in and wanted to ask about it.

I was only interested in AGS and GIA diamonds but ran into a nice IGI certified diamond. I found it at Jared's here in Columbus OH. To me it seemed to have good sparkle and fire. Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much.

Here are the specs:

Date : 12/24/2007 I.G.I Certificate # : 33185191 Description of Article : ONE NATURAL DIAMOND, DETAILED DESCRIPTION BELOW: Shape and Cutting Style : ROUND BRILL. CUT Measurements : 6.04 - 6.10 x 3.61 MM. Weight : 0.81 CARAT Finish Polish : V.GOOD Symmetry : V.GOOD Clarity Grade : VS(1) Color Grade : NEAR COLORLESS(I) Fluorescence : NONE Comments : GIRDLE LASERSCRIBED: "IGI 33185191"

Price?

If you've been lurking for a while, you surely have come across discussions about the importance of grading accuracy. The difference between VS1/I and VS2/J is pretty important in making a fair comparison. It's not the lab that makes beautiful diamonds beautiful but if you are going to be relying on the lab's opinion as fact then it's important to evaluate the grader. Are you confident that the stone really is as it's being described? Why were you limiting your search to GIA and AGS and what made you change your mind?

Neil

Price?

If you've been lurking for a while, you surely have come across discussions about the importance of grading accuracy. The difference between VS1/I and VS2/J is pretty important in making a fair comparison. It's not the lab that makes beautiful diamonds beautiful but if you are going to be relying on the lab's opinion as fact then it's important to evaluate the grader. Are you confident that the stone really is as it's being described? Why were you limiting your search to GIA and AGS and what made you change your mind?

Neil

I was trying to limit my search to AGS and GIA because a lot of what I was reading on the internet said that they are the best and most accurate.

I considered this stone because it looked really good next to the Peerless stones that Jared's carries which are AGS Ideal cut diamonds. When it was next to the Peerless Ideal cut stone I could tell that it didnt have the same rich fire but it did look really nice and still had a lot of fire.

I am fairly confident that the stone was graded accurately. It was a nice diamond compared to a lot of the diamonds I have seen so far. I'm not an expert but the color and clarity seemed to be correct compared to what I have seen so far. Arggg, my head is spinning now.

Why does IGI not list the grade of the cut on their certificate? All it grades is the polish and symmetry. What are the highest grades IGI gives for polish and symmetry? They don't list that info on their website.

Sorry if im all over the place.

Thanks for your opinions.

Those are good reasons to bias towards GIA/AGS. They're the usual reasons actually. Those 2 ARE the most reliable, and by a pretty substantial margin. If you've seen the stone, graded it yourself, compared it to others and feel comfortable with the grading then let's proceed.

polish & symmetry are finish grades, not cut grades. They don't really relate. The scale goes

excellent

very good

good

fair

poor

They don't assign a cut grade on the report you got because they don't think it would contribute to selling the stone. They have other varieties of report that contain more information. The person who ordered the exam decided that this lab and this format was the way to maximize their chances of selling this particular stone. Usually this means that they aren't the best cuts but there's no way to tell without looking at it. That's an inherent part of the problem with relying on a lab report where you weren't the client. Look at it in a variety of different lighting conditions, not just the spotlights over the cases.

There's a tool at the top of the page titled 'find online jeweler' that's a database of offers. Even if you have no intention of buying online this can be very useful for shopping and getting a feel for what prices should be like. As with yours, grading accuracy is a problem and it's made worse by the fact that you can't see these stones. With many of them even the dealer selling can't look at them. Even so it's helpful in getting a feel for prices.

Neil

Is that all the info they gave you on the diamond? It seems to be missing table percentage and depth percentage and girdle info . Could also use a crown angle and pavilion angle, although the numbers won't tell the whole story on the cut of the diamond.

It does seem slightly shallow on the total depth.

Personally I would still stick with a GIA or AGS graded diamond. The IGI tends to put way overinflated values on their stones.

Edited by jan