Craigslist Diamonds...please Help!

tiffy916

Hi,

My soon to be fiancee and I are looking at this ring on craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/jwl/557282638.html

We are afraid it might be too good to be true though. Neither of us know much about diamonds. We are scheduled to look at it tomorrow though and want to get some feedback beforehand. Is UGL a real lab? What does it mean that the center stone is laser drilled and what are the pros and cons of this? Any guidance about whether or not it is worth the value listed would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tiffanyh

Hi,

My soon to be fiancee and I are looking at this ring on craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/jwl/557282638.html

We are afraid it might be too good to be true though. Neither of us know much about diamonds. We are scheduled to look at it tomorrow though and want to get some feedback beforehand. Is UGL a real lab? What does it mean that the center stone is laser drilled and what are the pros and cons of this? Any guidance about whether or not it is worth the value listed would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tiffanyh

HI everyone.

No, UGL is not a reputable lab.

Another thing that stands out in this listing, is the fact that it's a dealer selling this. Normally, you'd expect a listing on Craig's list to be from a private individual.

I do believe there are a lot of other good choices that will not force you to buy a laser drilled diamond

Research your grader. You’re betting quite a bit on them.

Anyone who wants to can call themselves an ‘independent lab’ and they can say anything they want on their reports. The key is that you don’t have to care what they thing.

You already know of one lie. The ring is not ‘worth’ $7100 to anyone that this dealer can find. If it was, they wouldn’t be selling it for $2499 on craigslist. Right? And yet that’s exactly what they are trying to get you to believe. That’s one strike.

Since you’ve already caught them in one lie, are you really inclined to believe what they have to say about the weights, clarity, color, cutting, craftsmanship and other details? It's pretty important. 'Good cuts and brilliance' covers a lot of territory and 'approx.' 1.00 carat SI1/I leaves an awful lot of slop.

They are being identified as ‘independent’. Really? Who was their client? Not you. How and why were they selected for this job? They were hired by the seller, or perhaps their sellers supplier to produce advertising materials to help them sell this ring. What’s independent about that? They’re role here is as an agent of the seller. That would be ok except they are being presented as some unbiased and independent source. This is simply false. Strike two.

Is there a strike three?

If you are seriously considering this, be sure to have it graded and inspected by YOUR expert to see what it is and to assist you in setting a reasonable price.

Neil