First Timer, Need A Bit Of Help

Gooser

Hello, new guy here. I'm looking for a princess cut diamond and so far I have it narrowed down to a couple choices. I may keep looking depending on feedback. I'm hoping someone could let me know what they think. Good/bad/stay the hell away. Anything will help. Let me know if you require any other info. Please give reasons as well since I'm still trying to learn.

#2 is about $200 more than number one

Princess cut 0.77ct - clarity characteristics say feather, cloud

Carat weight: 0.77

Cut: Very Good

Colour: H

Clarity: SI2

Depth %: 75.0%

Table %: 72%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Medium to thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 4.88 x 4.86 x 3.66 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.00

#2 Princess cut 0.71ct clarity characteristics say crystal, cloud

Carat weight: 0.71

Cut: Signature Ideal

Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 69.8%

Table %: 70%

Symmetry: Very good

Girdle: Thin to thick

Measurements: 4.98 x 4.97 x 3.47 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.00

Hi Gooser Hard to say without actually seeing the diamonds in person. Although for the extra two hundred the second one is sounding good so far. You really have to see them to get more details on the light return and other aspects of the diamonds that paper just can`t express.

You may ask for some additional info such as digital pictures, light return data, scope pictures, etc.

So I'm having trouble getting a decent price from a local jeweller. I am located in Canada and when I show stores around me the price of the diamonds I've brought with me from Diamonds on Web and Blue Nile, they can't believe the price. And most don't. I had a lady ask me if I doctored the printout. It's not until I get them to check the internet themselves they believe me. But then they can't match the price ( or come close for that matter).

I've found a diamond on a US website that I'm interested. Unfortunatly no pictures but it does have a GIA report. If you were to blindly buy and diamond with the stats below, how much would be a decent price?

It is a princess cut diamond

Carat weight: 0.73

Cut: Very Good

Clarity: IF

Depth %: 72.7%

Table %: 65%

Symmetry: Excellent

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick

Measurements: 5.11 x 4.98 x 3.62 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.03

Stone is a .75 ct.

Is there some sort of formula you can use to verify carat weight? If so I have one for you if you could check? I was checking out a website for a local jeweller and I came across this diamond they posted. It seemed small to me for the weight.

Posting from website - ".82 Carat, Clarity VVS-1 and the exceptionally fine Colour of E. This Princess cut diamond measures 4.69 mm x 4.50 mm and is 3.38 mm deep. This diamond adheres to the proportions of the ideal cut and it possesses very good symmetry and polish. This justifies a cutting grade of Very Good. "

Thanks for everyones help so far. I've learned how to be picky and not fall for sales pitches at jewellery stores. Without reading on this site I probably would have already bought a diamond ring that wasn't certified at some mall jewellery store, without even knowing what the colour of the diamond was.

Yes that dimension is very small for that size. We currently .80 ct. VVS1 G that is measuring about 5.13 mm.

It also has excellent polish and very good symmetry.

Don't forget that finish grade or polish and symmetry is not indicative of the cut grade. That is just the finish grade.post-10-1202316002_thumb.jpg

Stone is a .75 ct.

Posting from website - ".82 Carat, Clarity VVS-1 and the exceptionally fine Colour of E. This Princess cut diamond measures 4.69 mm x 4.50 mm and is 3.38 mm deep. This diamond adheres to the proportions of the ideal cut and it possesses very good symmetry and polish. This justifies a cutting grade of Very Good. "

Thanks for everyones help so far. I've learned how to be picky and not fall for sales pitches at jewellery stores. Without reading on this site I probably would have already bought a diamond ring that wasn't certified at some mall jewellery store, without even knowing what the colour of the diamond was.

Okay Gooser-. So if you read here a bit, you'll know that there are two questions that will come up immediately about the website's grating.

1) Who issued the grade?

2) there is no such thing as an "ideal" Princess cut diamond. This type of claim calls their interpretation of cut into question

The stones that Jan posted look very nice, with good surface area for princess cuts.

Although you can't judge a diamond by its depth, you can figure out some things about it by that number.

For example, any diamond of 80% depth will look pretty small for its carat weight.

One thing you should remember when looking for princess cut diamonds, is that you will rarely find a well cut Princess cut diamond with a lower depth percentage.

For example, you can find radiant cut diamonds, with depth percentage in the 60 to 65% range.

So generally, by choosing a princess cut you're not going to get the largest of the diamond for its weight.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, I'm just bringing it up because it is aspect which is important to some....

If you don't mind me asking are are you buying this diamond for yourself or for someone else?

Have you considered how you're going to have it set?