Question Regarding Cushion Cut

jayce17

Hey guys... I am new to these boards but would like to know what all you experts think out there. I am trying to find an upgrade for my egagement ring but do not want to spend a lot of money. I found the following diamond online, but not sure if it is a good deal or if I will be getting ripped off? Please share any insight you might have..

1.70 ct cushion cut

color: J

clarity: SI1

measurements: 7.21-6.18-4.34

length to width: 1.17

depth: 70.2

table: 54

cutlet: none (pointed)

polish: vg

symmetry: vg

fluorescence: none

price: $3500

I know a J color is at the end of the near colorless range.. but I do actually want to put it in yellow gold. Thanks! :)

Edited by jayce17

hi!

One difficult aspect diamond shoppers face which can be a challenge, is that they do not know the price of the diamonds.

If I offered you a brand-new Chevrolet, for $5,000, you would know immediately that I'm a ripoff artist.

Well, whoever is offering you this supposed diamond, for this price is acting in the very same way.

A legitimately greeted 1.70 cushion, as described to you will be a lot more

Hey..thanks for your reply. :) Hmmm...hat makes me nervous tho. Well it is accompanied by a "European Gemological Laboratory (EGL) Diamond Grading Report". If they include something like that should I still be worried? Would they alter the lab report or something? Thanks for your advise! :)

I've got no problem with J colors but I'm with David that this is highly suspicious. If this is a dealer then there is definitely a problem. No doubt what you're hoping for is a pricing error or a foolish or desperate seller but I have to say your odds of this are fairly low. Misgrading is FAR more likely. This begs the question who graded it? This is always an issue but it's doubly so when the numbers don't add up. If it's really a M/I1 it's not such a bargain after all. If you are seriously considering this stone, get it checked out by your own expert, not someone who is working for the seller. Somebody here is being a fool. Don't let it be you.

Neil

Hey..thanks for your reply. :) Hmmm...hat makes me nervous tho. Well it is accompanied by a "European Gemological Laboratory (EGL) Diamond Grading Report". If they include something like that should I still be worried? Would they alter the lab report or something? Thanks for your advise! :)

Do a bit of research into EGL. You're betting quite a bit of money on their reliability.

Neil

Hey Neil.. wow this diamond is becoming very shady! I found the diamond on uniondiamond.com. They SEEM reliable... but I don't really know that much about the different stores online. Are you saying EGL is not very credible? If I do purchase it (w/ a 30 day refund guarentee or course) should I take it to a jeweler in my area to grade it? If so how would I find someone that is reliable around here? Thanks so much for your help!

The stones graded by the EGL labs that I've seen were mostly way off in color and clarity grade. A J graded by them is probably closer to an M. It's going to look visibly yellow.

EGL also has alot of different labs. Some are better than others. The overseas EGLS like EGL Israel, are usually way way off in grading.

So the price is probably cheap because the paper is not correct. Don't expect to get a real SI1 J.

Edited by jan

Union is a credible outfit and a 30 day inspection period is entirely reasonable. There’s a pretty good chance that they’ve never actually seen the stone but are selling it on behalf of some 3rd party. This leaves you with nothing to go on other than a statement by EGL. I agree with Jan that this is not a reliable basis to work from. If you decide to get it, definitely get it appraised and no, don’t use a local jewelry store. Use an independent appraiser, meaning someone who isn’t in the business of selling you a diamond. If you can’t find one close to home, consider having Union overnight ship it to one of us with a national service.

There's a search box at the bottom left corner of this page and you can look for other threads where people have talked about EGL. There's been quite a bit. This is a hot topic.

Neil

Most Internet vendors never inspect the diamond themselves but have it drop-shipped directly to you by the manufacturer so you want to stick with GIA reports and preferably work with a Vendor that will inspect the diamond for you and provide you with information beyond the lab grading report before you have to make the purchase decision.

Independent appraisal is also a viable option.

thanks for your help guys... I didn't know how unreliable these labs could be. I thought they were all the same! wow ...good stuff to know! I may get it just to see what it looks like... if I think it's pretty I will then have it appraised.... if it's more like an M looking color (which I am guessing it will be) I will just send it back w/o wasting more time. I guess the search continues! hah

My position would be that any professional dealer offering a 1.70J SI1for $3500 is not reliable just on the basis of this quote.

Having a great appraiser that you can trust is a fantastic thing. But no appraiser is not going to fix a problem like this.

Cheap is always expensive in the long run