Need Some Info From A Jeweler.

talonferguson

So I bought a 5 stone marquise ring some time ago, which has been sitting on my girlfriend's finger for some time. She's crazy about the ring, & I like it as well. When the time comes I'd like to re-set the stones to a New setting & make it a seven-stone ring ( adding a twin to the now 'center' stone, as well as adding a new , Larger center stone. )

I've drawn a picture of what the setting looks like now, and below it, what I'm looking to upgrade to.

As it is now, the ring is , I believe, 1.25 carats. I don't know the weight of the center stone... Maybe .50 ...

Can someone, by looking at the picture, give some approximation of the size of stone I'll need to create this kind of Look.. IE, If the center stone in my ring is now .50 , In this new ring, how large will the center need to be to accomplish this look?

Also, What might this cost...? assuming stones approx G-H, SI-1/ S-2 Clarity.

Also... I've considered buying the stones myself. would any jeweler, here or anywhere, consider making this ring, & what might that cost?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

post-112038-1201721580_thumb.jpg

Hi!

It looks to me as though you will need an entirely new ring. Adding two stones onto a five stone ring is going to be very difficult, if not impossible.

Matching marquee shaped diamonds is also not all that simple. But it is very important to getting a good outcome. My suggestion is that you find someone to make you a new ring, and supply the two diamonds.

Hi!

It looks to me as though you will need an entirely new ring. Adding two stones onto a five stone ring is going to be very difficult, if not impossible.

Matching marquee shaped diamonds is also not all that simple. But it is very important to getting a good outcome. My suggestion is that you find someone to make you a new ring, and supply the two diamonds.

Yes that's what I mean... Create a new setting, using the current stones, and 2 more... Can you give me any idea of what this might cost... in a white gold setting.

There are a lot of variables. For example, if there's a commercially available casting, that takes seven Marquise diamonds, the next question will be does the existing casting fit the stones you have?

The difference between making a ring from a commercially available casting, and custom making a ring, can be over $1000.

Then there's the actual quality of the diamonds you currently possess. What some people call G-H SI1-2, might be in reality J-K I1.....

Now, I'm not saying that that's the case with your ring. But to give any kind of an accurate quote. I would actually need to know the quality, and exact size, to know if it needed to be custom-made, and the cost of the diamonds

There are a lot of variables. For example, if there's a commercially available casting, that takes seven Marquise diamonds, the next question will be does the existing casting fit the stones you have?

The difference between making a ring from a commercially available casting, and custom making a ring, can be over $1000.

Then there's the actual quality of the diamonds you currently possess. What some people call G-H SI1-2, might be in reality J-K I1.....

Now, I'm not saying that that's the case with your ring. But to give any kind of an accurate quote. I would actually need to know the quality, and exact size, to know if it needed to be custom-made, and the cost of the diamonds

Let's try this... Assume I buy the stones, they are Uniform/Matching , but will require a custom-setting... What might the labor for something like this cost?

To make the ring, & set the stones.

Edited by talonferguson

Lots of jewelers are in this business and they don't all charge the same. Part of it is that some simply value their time higher than others and part of it is that they don't all use the same approach to manufacturing. Call up some jewelers in your area and ask them if they do custom design work. If they do, drive down and visit with them. Take the ring and let them measure the stones and make you a bid. Ask what they will charge, how they will do it and how long it will take. Aside from getting you a real bid instead of just a guess, this will teach you what to ask the next guy.

Neil

Grade-point Neil!

There's a huge variance from what one person charges to another. For example, I can have a one carat diamond set by someone on 47th St for less than five dollars.

Sometimes we pay as much as $50 for particular setting job. I don't like to use the five dollar guy. At least not with my own diamonds....heheheh

Another problem, you will face is the lack of evidence that someone is actually a good jeweler and setter. What I mean to say is that you can go into someplace, and they'll tell you "no problem". The results might be an abortion, or they might be very beautiful. It's kind of a trial and error.

As a manufacturer, we've had to do this to get the very best people. But you're making only one ring, so a failure could be devastating to you.

Bottom line: I think it's a kind of difficult thing you're trying to do. I'd still feel your best course of action is to find one person that will sell you the diamonds and make the entire project come together.

As far as who that is? Well, I guess you have some homework to do

Grade-point Neil!

There's a huge variance from what one person charges to another. For example, I can have a one carat diamond set by someone on 47th St for less than five dollars.

Sometimes we pay as much as $50 for particular setting job. I don't like to use the five dollar guy. At least not with my own diamonds....heheheh

Another problem, you will face is the lack of evidence that someone is actually a good jeweler and setter. What I mean to say is that you can go into someplace, and they'll tell you "no problem". The results might be an abortion, or they might be very beautiful. It's kind of a trial and error.

As a manufacturer, we've had to do this to get the very best people. But you're making only one ring, so a failure could be devastating to you.

Bottom line: I think it's a kind of difficult thing you're trying to do. I'd still feel your best course of action is to find one person that will sell you the diamonds and make the entire project come together.

As far as who that is? Well, I guess you have some homework to do

Is there anything I need to know, besides dimensions, to buy matching stones? Assuming I have the ring appraised and can determine the current stones dimensions & C's, will i be equipped to buy a matching stone online?

I'm much more comfortable buying online... The prices I've seen in jeweler's stores have been... grossly different than what I've paid many times online. I'm very much inclined to continue buying stones online if I can.

I certainly agree that there is an ease of shopping on the Internet where they will simply tell you what it costs without the baloney of ‘sales’, coupons or special friend deals for everyone and where the pricing is far more transparent. Some stores offer a much more straightforward shopping experience than others.

Matching fancies well is decidedly a nuisance because the shapes and cutting are part of the formula, not just weight, color and clarity. The process is straightforward enough though. Take the existing stones out of the ring, clean them carefully and take or ship them to your preferred vendor to match with 2 new ones. Be careful not to damage them when you’re removing the stones. It’s quite a bit easier to actually show up at the sellers office or store so that you can choose from a large number of stones rather than one or two that you’re guessing at but if you have no local sources that you count as reliable to do the job then pick one from out of town. If you can’t trust your local guys to supply the stones, I wouldn’t recommend trusting them to make the mounting or set the stones either. Quite a few of the successful Internet jewelry stores are just jewelers from someone else's neighborhood who are expanding online and who are well experienced with jobs like this but since you've got an online jeweler that you've had good luck with before, start with them. When you find a dealer who will agree to supply the stones, ask them about the rest of the ring as well. If the stones are the right relative sizes they may be able to get a premade mounting that fits and this’ll save quite a bit of the work.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

I certainly agree that there is an ease of shopping on the Internet where they will simply tell you what it costs without the baloney of ‘sales’, coupons or special friend deals for everyone and where the pricing is far more transparent. Some stores offer a much more straightforward shopping experience than others.

Matching fancies well is decidedly a nuisance because the shapes and cutting are part of the formula, not just weight, color and clarity. The process is straightforward enough though. Take the existing stones out of the ring, clean them carefully and take or ship them to your preferred vendor to match with 2 new ones. Be careful not to damage them when you’re removing the stones. It’s quite a bit easier to actually show up at the sellers office or store so that you can choose from a large number of stones rather than one or two that you’re guessing at but if you have no local sources that you count as reliable to do the job then pick one from out of town. If you can’t trust your local guys to supply the stones, I wouldn’t recommend trusting them to make the mounting or set the stones either. Quite a few of the successful Internet jewelry stores are just jewelers from someone else's neighborhood who are expanding online and who are well experienced with jobs like this but since you've got an online jeweler that you've had good luck with before, start with them. When you find a dealer who will agree to supply the stones, ask them about the rest of the ring as well. If the stones are the right relative sizes they may be able to get a premade mounting that fits and this’ll save quite a bit of the work.

Neil

Thanks Neil! Some great information...

Having taken a close look at the ring last night, This isn't exact ( But I'm pretty good with mm's ), but The center stone looks to be something in the 7 - 7.5 mm long Range, and probably 3.7 - 4mm wide ( was wider than a 2:1 ratio ). The side stones have about a 15-20% size graduation...

A question... I've seen the 7 stone marquise settings quite frequently in jewelry stores. but they're typically a Set-graduation, every stone is equally smaller than the next... My ring will be different. I'd like the center stone to be 30-40% larger than it's sidestones. So we're talking about a roughly One carat, 10.5mm x 5.4mm center stone . flanked by two roughly Half-carat 7mm x 3.7mm's, & then the other 4 stones ( roughly 5.8mm, & 4.9mm long.... )

I'm curious, How flexible are settings, I mean... could the more-typical 7 stone settings I've seen be made to accomodate these changes, or are they fairly rigid in what size stone they can house?

Am I looking for a custom setting?

A Modified setting?

Or might there be a commercial setting available, if I look around?

Should I be looking for an appropriate setting, or looking for someone who does custom work?

Thanks for your time.

Talon

Edited by talonferguson

Anything can be modified to fit just about anything, the problem is that it may not always look "right".. We used to do a lot of modifications to rings but ran in to a string of problems where the finished ring just "looked" bad even though it was exactly what the customer said they wanted. Of course when it looks bad they don't like to pay for it.. So we don't do those very often any more.. A purpose built ring almost always looks significantly better than ring that was "made to work"..

David won't come out and say but they make very nice jewelry as do several other jewelers with both and internet and real store presence (cough cough)..

As Niel said prices can vary considerably from one jeweler to the next based on a lot of variables.. You best option is to look at their past work and when you find one or more that you might be happy with ask for a quote.. Then go from there.. Cheapest isn't always the best value, and most expensive doesn't always mean highest quality..

Our experience exactly Steve!

For example, it seems like every day we get a correspondence with someone who wants to take a ring that they have, and "re-make it"

A common question would be, "if I send you my rain, can you reuse the gold?"

I'm in total agreement is, modifying an existing piece way harder than making a direct from the start-and much more likely to come out with a less than satisfactory result.

Trying to buy stones to match others blind, especially marquees, by the measurements, would be like driving down the road looking at the map instead of the actual road. Leads to a lot of accidents