Which One?

achilles

There's so much information out there it makes buying a diamond engagement ring tough. So far I've gathered that buying online will get you the most bang for your buck. I'm a teacher so naturally that's important. I'm looking to spend around 5k on a ring. What I want is an eye-clean diamond that doesn't have a noticable tint. I've heard that cut is really the most important of the "c"s and it will help hide small inclusions.

Also I know that GIA is a much better grading lab than EGL but I've also heard that some people have been very happy with their EGL diamonds. That being said I've found these two diamonds and I would appreciate a little advise on which one I should choose.

Choice 1:

Carat: 1.3

color: H

Clarity: VS2

Polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

Depth%: 59.2

Table%: 59.0

Abzazias says cut grade is "Premium" but I'm not really sure what that means

*Grading lab is EGL*

Choice 2:

Carat:1.15

Color: H

Clarity: SI1

Depth%: 62.1

Table %: 58.0

Symmetry:VG

Polish: VG

Abzazias's rating for cut is Ideal

*Grading lab is GIA*

They are both $5,100. Is it worth it to sacrifice the clarity and the carat weight for the GIA rating? Thanks for your help. Also if you have any advise for chooseing a nice sized, eye-clean diamond thats not related to these two specific stones please let me know. Achilles

No way to form an opinion without more info.

I presume these are rounds? What are their crown & pavilion angles, lower half% and star%? This will allow a better prediction, but still won't reveal actual light return or cut precision. Ideal-scope, ASET or other proof of light performance would be helpful.

While it's possible to find attractive diamonds that have been sent to EGL, manufacturers will typically send top makes (cut especially) to AGS or GIA when they know the diamond is worthy of earning high marks. When a diamond isn't able to earn such high marks a softer lab may be chosen because it is less likely to 'expose' the diamond's shortcomings on paper.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Yes, rounds.

It doesn't seem as if that information is readily available on the websites I've been looking on. (bluenile.com and abazias.com). Without that kind of information how should I go about buying a diamond online?

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is I think there's a decent differece in size between a 1.05 and a 1.25 carat diamond. I can see that difference. But as far as the other stuff goes, when does that start to make a difference in what the average person (not someone who deals with these things all the time) can see? The stuff you can only see under a magnifying glass doesn't bother me. I want to go for as much "wow" factor as I can without her looking at it three weeks later and realizing there's imperfections in it.

I'm really trying to do my homework on this but I'm finding it hard to make a choice.

Yes, rounds.

It doesn't seem as if that information is readily available on the websites I've been looking on. (bluenile.com and abazias.com). Without that kind of information how should I go about buying a diamond online?

The proportion information will be on any AGS or GIA grading report. Even at that, I wouldn't advise buying any diamond that a seller advertises using only using a list of stats and a scan of the grading report. If they don't boast actual images and some form of proof of light performance like onsite ideal-scope photos they probably don't really have the diamond...they are just reproducing lists provided to them by supplier 'warehouses.' They may never see the diamond they are trying to sell you.

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is I think there's a decent differece in size between a 1.05 and a 1.25 carat diamond. I can see that difference. But as far as the other stuff goes, when does that start to make a difference in what the average person (not someone who deals with these things all the time) can see? The stuff you can only see under a magnifying glass doesn't bother me. I want to go for as much "wow" factor as I can without her looking at it three weeks later and realizing there's imperfections in it.

Understood. There is a level at which it becomes like rocket science minutia, but you want the rocket to fly, right?

For instance, do you think you will see the light performance difference between these two examples? On paper both have the same weight, spread and table% (they are sims, one was cut with premium crown/pavilion angles the other was not).

post-111809-1201572150_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnQuixote