Is This A Real Egl Certificate?

vanderto

I'm thinking of buying a brilliant cut EGL certified diamond. However, when the vendor sent me the EGL certificate, it did not look like any of the others I have seen. I also cannot verify this EGL certificate online at EGL USA or EGL International.

Can anyone help me or know if this certificate is legit? Thanks.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6wzzqk1.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, thats sort of what EGL-International reports look like but there's no way to tell from a scan whether this is really EGLI's work or not. For most people, that's not really the most important question anyway. You should be asking if the description on that report is reasonably likely to be an accurate representation of the subject stone. If it is, it doesn't really matter who wrote it and, if it's not, it matters even less.

Grading reliability is a big deal so you should put some thought into whose opinion you want to use. The dealer chose EGLI but this doesn't mean that YOU should choose them. It's important.

Neil

Great point Neil!

It brings up another dangerous aspect and non-GIA report game.

Since there are so many different organizations around the world calling themselves EGL., it really is impossible to know if this piece of paper was prepared by one of them.

On the face of it, the typing does look suspicious. However, the report itself is meaningful. Because the person trying to sell this has not informed the buyer of the ramifications of the lack of a GIA report, has already tipped his hand as a seller to be avoided.

The test is simple enough. If you look at the stone and still like it, show it to an expert grader who is working for you, not for them, and ask the grading details. Make sure to include cutting, which is conspicuously absent from the report attached. If at the end of that you still love the stone, buy it. Otherwise you should have the right to a 100% refund. For many there’s even an additional step. Assuming it passes your inspection and that of your appraiser, you send it to GIA for grading with the agreement that, if it matches what the dealer has told you, you will buy the stone, pay the GIA fees and all the related shipping costs. If it doesn’t, they pay all the fees and they keep the stone. How could you be more fair?

Dollars to donuts they refuse this deal, even though it costs them nothing if they're right and even though they’ve got a big sale hanging on it. Personally, I would take such a refusal as a vote of no-confidence in their own chosen grader. If they don’t trust them, why should you? As David points out, if you have a reason to believe that they're asking you to rely on paperwork that they know to be unreliable, this tells you more about the dealer than it does about the stone.

Neil

ETA: The font looks ok to me.

Edited by denverappraiser

My advice is to stick with either GIA or AGS.

If you do want to give this particular diamond a shot, follow Neil's excellent advice.

I agree with Neil that your vendor will run, not walk, away from this proposal.

If it's too good to be true, it certainly is.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking of buying a brilliant cut EGL certified diamond. However, when the vendor sent me the EGL certificate, it did not look like any of the others I have seen. I also cannot verify this EGL certificate online at EGL USA or EGL International.

Can anyone help me or know if this certificate is legit? Thanks.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6wzzqk1.jpg

Hi-

Any luck on this? I've seen a few stones at a local jewelers with certs that look almost exactly like this one and was wondering if you've found anything else out.

Thanks,

todd