Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
AsscherLover

"fair" Or "good" Symmetry In Asschers?

Hello,

Most of the diamonds I've seen have "very good" symmetry. I ran across a diamond today that was a 2 carat, J, VS2, Measurements: 6.74x6.56x4.84 with a grading of "Fair" Symmetry. The price of this asscher is the same as a 1.78, VVS2, Measurements: 6.76*6.47*4.44 with "Very Good" Symmetry. They are both GIA Certified.

The measurements of this 2.0 diamond seem very close to the 1.78, but the 1.78 has better clarity and symmetry. As with what most women want, I want a diamond that looks as big as possible for my buck! ;)

In general, what do you think about Fair or Good symmetry? I read on BlueNile that you should say away from "Fair" rated diamonds.

I'm waiting on a picture to see what this 2.0 carat asscher looks like, but just wanted to pick your brains in the meanwhile.

Thanks!

Hello,

Most of the diamonds I've seen have "very good" symmetry. I ran across a diamond today that was a 2 carat, J, VS2, Measurements: 6.74x6.56x4.84 with a grading of "Fair" Symmetry. The price of this asscher is the same as a 1.78, VVS2, Measurements: 6.76*6.47*4.44 with "Very Good" Symmetry. They are both GIA Certified.

The measurements of this 2.0 diamond seem very close to the 1.78, but the 1.78 has better clarity and symmetry. As with what most women want, I want a diamond that looks as big as possible for my buck! ;)

In general, what do you think about Fair or Good symmetry? I read on BlueNile that you should say away from "Fair" rated diamonds.

I'm waiting on a picture to see what this 2.0 carat asscher looks like, but just wanted to pick your brains in the meanwhile.

Thanks!

symmetry in fancy shapes matters to some, not to others, it really depends. How did it look? Like Niel says, asschers have that "hall of mirrors" look to them with long/skinny facets, just like an emerald shape for example, and if the symmetry is off, lines will not be parallel and some people pick up on it right away and think it's cut crooked, others will never really pay much attention. but a diamond can be cut not very symmetrical and still shine nice, it will just have less of a "perfect" reflected sparkle pattern if you know what i mean.

the difference between 6.74x6.56 vs. 6.76*6.47 is not going to be noticed, they're virtually the same size face up, you're just splitting hairs here :) assuming both look equally nice, i'd take the VG-symmetry one with less carat weight and depth.

Yosef Adde

Adylon.com - Diamonds & Bridal Jewelry (Burbank, CA)

http://www.adylon.com

I would definately stay away from a fair symmetry. If you are not viewing the stone in person, even a very good can be messed up.

These two asscher both have very good polish and symmetry, however one is very bright while the other one was a dead dud.

post-10-1200499804_thumb.jpg

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com

I would definately stay away from a fair symmetry. If you are not viewing the stone in person, even a very good can be messed up.

These two asscher both have very good polish and symmetry, however one is very bright while the other one was a dead dud.

Ok, thanks! I thought I should stay away from "fair" since most I've seen are Very Goods...why risk it

I'll tell the person pass on this one!

Hi Jan,

I have been wanting to ask you this question about the two asschers in your pic. I saw on the DT fourm that the one that is a "weeper" that a customer bought was GIA graded as VG/VG in pol and sym. Why would GIA give such a good grade to a stone that is so obviously dull, lifeless, and lacks the glitter and sparkle that the other asscher that you have next to it has? Just looking at the stone with an untrained eye shows that it's not a good stone.

Hi Jan,

I have been wanting to ask you this question about the two asschers in your pic. I saw on the DT fourm that the one that is a "weeper" that a customer bought was GIA graded as VG/VG in pol and sym. Why would GIA give such a good grade to a stone that is so obviously dull, lifeless, and lacks the glitter and sparkle that the other asscher that you have next to it has? Just looking at the stone with an untrained eye shows that it's not a good stone.

Hi Micesu These are part of the finish grade. Since GIA does not have a CUT grade for Asschers, there will be different variances in how they look. As you can see, both stones have vg,vg on symmetry & polish, but look completely different. Symmetry and polish won`t give the complete visual, and that is why it is important to not rely solely on a lab report in this area.

Jan

For those that want to know the truth about diamonds, just ask.

dbof.com