Table Width: 57%

Crown Height: 13.1%

Pavilian Depth: 44%

Girdle: Medium/Faceted

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry Excellent

Culet: None

Flour: Faint Blue

It is eyeclean. Has some good flashes, very white, sparkly. Not sure about it's "Brilliance".

Any opinions greatly appreciated. I can still return it. Bought at Abazias.

I paid $7,000. Comments on the price?

Thank you.

post-114624-1200167437.jpg

The price is a guarantee, that the diamond is nowhere near a DSI one.

A legitimate DSI1 (one graded by GIA, with an excellent cut grade), in a carat and a half size, will be close to double what you paid.

That is not to say that the diamond is not worth $7,000, just that it is not a DSI1. Unless there's something very very wrong with it.

The price is a guarantee, that the diamond is nowhere near a DSI one.

A legitimate DSI1 (one graded by GIA, with an excellent cut grade), in a carat and a half size, will be close to double what you paid.

That is not to say that the diamond is not worth $7,000, just that it is not a DSI1. Unless there's something very very wrong with it.

Ok suppose it's really an FSI2 b/c the EGL is off (they said it was likely off a grade or 2 especially on the color) is 7k reasonable?

I just want to ensure I'm not getting ripped off as I am new to buying diamonds.

Hey Dave,

if you got a nice looking carat and a half diamond with a high color, which is clean to the eye, for $7,000- then it sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm a stickler for correctly graded diamonds.

Incidentally, a correctly graded (by GIA) F/SI2 in an excellent cut grade is going to be close to $10,000

Hey Dave,

if you got a nice looking carat and a half diamond with a high color, which is clean to the eye, for $7,000- then it sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm a stickler for correctly graded diamonds.

Incidentally, a correctly graded (by GIA) F/SI2 in an excellent cut grade is going to be close to $10,000

Ok, well I really appreciate your responses Dave.

I think the cut is below excellent (it says 'premium'), so it may just be 'very good', which probably means 'marginal'. Maybe the cut quality is why the price is low. That's what I suspect.

Thanks again.

Dave,

You can be reasonably certain that a GIA grade will not be lower than a similar sounding EGL grade so given your assumption that EGL is somewhere between zero and 2 grades off on each item, we can make up a color range with D at the top and F at the bottom. SI on EGL’s scale is a range from EGL-SI1 and EGL-SI3 which, using your conversion method translates into GIA-SI1 to GIA-I2 .

‘Premium’ cut on the EGL scale doesn’t really translate to GIA’s scale but it seems to be roughly the middle below ‘Ideal’, ‘Tolkowski Ideal’, ‘Hearts and Arrows, and ‘Excellent Ideal’. The only grade lower is when they leave it blank. ‘Good’ or ‘Very Good’ is the middle for GIA so your 2 grade fudge factor puts the cut ranging from GIA-Very Good to GIA-Poor.

A search of the database at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ for the range 1.50-1.53, D-F, SI1-I2 produces hundreds of offers for GIA graded stones ranging in asking price from $3,107 to $15,640. How should we choose which of these stone(s) are most comparable the one you’re considering? Try it yourself, I’m not kidding. We’re not even within a factor of 2 either way! You simply have not provided enough information to give you useful advice.

That’s why accurate grading is so important. Get it graded by an expert who is working for YOU and who is using a scale that you don’t have to translate, not for some seller who gets paid more if you don’t understand, and you’ll have a much more sensible basis for comparison.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Dave,

You can be reasonably certain that a GIA grade will not be lower than a similar sounding EGL grade so given your assumption that EGL is somewhere between zero and 2 grades off on each item, we can make up a color range with D at the top and F at the bottom. SI on EGL’s scale is a range from EGL-SI1 and EGL-SI3 which, using your conversion method translates into GIA-SI1 to GIA-I2 .

‘Premium’ cut on the EGL scale doesn’t really translate to GIA’s scale but it seems to be roughly the middle below ‘Ideal’, ‘Tolkowski Ideal’, ‘Hearts and Arrows, and ‘Excellent Ideal’. The only grade lower is when they leave it blank. ‘Good’ or ‘Very Good’ is the middle for GIA so your 2 grade fudge factor puts the cut ranging from GIA-Very Good to GIA-Poor.

A search of the database at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ for the range 1.50-1.53, D-F, SI1-I2 produces hundreds of offers for GIA graded stones ranging in asking price from $3,107 to $15,640. How should we choose which of these stone(s) are most comparable the one you’re considering? Try it yourself, I’m not kidding. We’re not even within a factor of 2 either way! You simply have not provided enough information to give you useful advice.

That’s why accurate grading is so important. Get it graded by an expert who is working for YOU and who is using a scale that you don’t have to translate, not for some seller who gets paid more if you don’t understand, and you’ll have a much more sensible basis for comparison.

Neil

Alright. Well thank you for the detailed advice Neil. I appreciate it.