Non Gia Cert

hang

hi

i just recently bought a diamond 1.7 karat graded by DGC, diamond grading company, however, I cannot find them in the internet.

i'm wondering how / if i can get a GIA certificate for it. If I sell it

back to the original place where i bought it, they will buy it 10% less for what i bought it for, but if they no longer exist, I'm not sure if other places would buy it back.

And if so, how much less than i paid for it? would they buy a non GIA certified diamond like mine? Can someone help? I would feel good if i know there's a way i can get

my diamond to be GIA certified.

GIA will grade stones for anyone who gets it to them and agrees to pay their fee (actually there’s quite a lot of stuff that you have to agree to but the fee is the biggie). Here’s the details.

http://www.gia.edu/gemtradelab/31508/how_t...bmit_stones.cfm

A jeweler or an independent appraiser can assist you with the logistics if you don't want to do it yourself.

What other people will pay you for your stone will depend largely on what you have and this makes the reliability of grading terribly important. You’re correct that most dealers will ignore the report from an unknown lab but, assuming that it’s graded correctly, it won’t serve as a mark against either. You should be aware that the #1 reason that dealers use unusual labs is because they produce results that seem more attractive at the sales counter and there's a fair amount of shenanigans in this part of the business. How an offer will compare with what you paid for it obviously depends on what you paid and what you got. Usually you won't see anywhere near 90% of the purchase price, even when there is no grading question. An appraisal might be useful for you. Make sure the appraiser understands that you are asking for a grading and an estimated resale value and make sure to choose an appraiser who has no vested interest in the deal, either through the store or through a competitor. There are quite a few different types of appraisals and this is not the most common.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

THank you Niel for your response. My only concern is if i sent my diamond to be certified would i get the same diamond back? what if it got switch , i would not know. Is there any guaranteed

that this would not happen if i sent it to be GIA certified?

thanks

Hang

GIA is a highly reputable outfit and your risk here is extremely low. You have much more to be concerned about with loss during shipping (which is also pretty low if you use registered mail service from the USPS). In both cases, you can buy insurance that transfers this risk to your insurer and makes it someone elses problem. Try www.jewelersmutual.com

I’m not really understanding why you want a GIA report. You already own the stone, I presume it isn’t for sale and I’m guessing that you have no opportunity to return it no matter what GIA has to say so this isn't part of a shopping exercise. If you’re just covering the bases for the future, I would wait and contact GIA when you’re ready to sell. If you’re just looking for confirmation that you got what you paid for, you would be better served by hiring an independent appraiser. It’ll be cheaper, faster and many can do it while you wait and while you watch.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi Neil

Thank you so much, you are right, i don't plan to resale anytime soon but wanted to make sure I got it GIA certified if one day i need to sale it. I will wait and get it GIA certified when

i ever need to sale it. Hopefully never have to do it since it's a very nice stone.

One more question, Neil, you seemed to be very knowlegeable with stones and

i see that you are a GIA certified appraiser, I live in southern CA, do you know of anyone whom you'd recommend that is GIA certified appraiser in southern CA? if not a person, a place where I can get my stone appraised in case one day I want to do it?

thanks

Hang

Hi everybody, I concur with everything that Neil has said about GIA. I'm sure he'll give you a good recommendation for an appraiser in your area as well.

I think it's also important to look at how the diamond was represented when you bought it .

Were the differences between the lab report which it came with and GIA explained to you?

I would also say that it is likely that the results from GIA may very widely from the ones on the report you got.