Black Spots On Gold.

owbowagowy

I just purchased a Diamond engagement ring and noticed a black spot on the ring near the crown. Then I noticed another spot on the crown. I am going to bring it back for inspection but I wanted to know if anyone else might know what this is. Could it be from a polish or solder or maybe a dirty cleaning solution? I cleaned it in a liquid ring cleaner and it didn't come off. I'm not sure if a better cleaning solution and/or machine do a better job. The ring is 14ct. gold.

Thanks.

Edited by owbowagowy

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I just purchased a Diamond engagement ring and noticed a black spot on the ring near the crown. Then I noticed another spot on the crown. I am going to bring it back for inspection but I wanted to know if anyone else might know what this is. Could it be from a polish or solder or maybe a dirty cleaning solution? I cleaned it in a liquid ring cleaner and it didn't come off. I'm not sure if a better cleaning solution and/or machine do a better job. The ring is 14ct. gold.

Thanks.

Looks like you need a rhodium coating.

Takes 5 minutes, any jeweler can do it.

Should cost about $10-15

Good luck to you you