Old Gia Report

daddysgirl

Hi, I'm new. My ring was stolen so I decided to get a little educated when buying a new ring. well, it's a mixed blessing. Now I'm analyzing everything, but I'm the type of person that isn't happy unless I know I'm getting "a deal." So I shopped for a ring at Xmas in my hometown of Erie, PA since I knew it possibly would be like getting my timing belt changed for 200 bucks less than at a white collar city.

So, I found a beautiful ring, but the diamond is not quite what I wanted. Sure, he said he'd buy it back at what I paid for it, which I would certainly want to do sooner rather than later, if it's anything like oil prices, which I presume it is.

This stone is really too deep. An old GIA cert does not give a whole lot of dimensions. It is from 2001.

The ring is very pretty, but the stone is a VVS1. Not really where I wanted to put our money. It is an I stone 1.50 but the depth is 64.4 percent. I'm getting the diamond for mid 8000. I've shopped around and I think it's a very fair price. It only has good polish and symmetry and a medium to very thick girdle. Not real sure what that means when it's such a broad description.

It is a very pretty ring and stone, but I'm so hung up on analyzing everything that it's driving me crazy!

I have to let them know by tomorrow because he said he will not offer the same price on Jan. 1. I really trust the guy as he showed me the Rappaport or whatever.

The whole ring -- 1.05 carats with the 1.50 stone is 10,7. Oh, and the ring is hand crafted and not machine made.

I think I should get it because I can always have him buy back the stone next summer if it bothers me -- only because it's not perfect -- that it's an I color and it's too deep. Oh, it has a 56 percent table.

I don't need a VVS1. I would rather have an ideal cut. Thanks everyone. Not sure anyone is really on this site any longer, but I type fast so it's okay. I've read that GIA did not grade cuts until 2005.

Edited by daddysgirl

The right price on the wrong thing is no bargain. Pass on this one. You said yourself that it’s not what you want. You’re paying for clarity that you don’t want and you’re not getting cutting that you do. I’m sure he can get you others so just tell him straight up what it is your looking for and see what he can find..

Just out of curiosity, why does showing you a copy of Rapaport make him trustworthy? Does this buy back policy apply only to this one or to other things he sells as well?

Neil

Not sure anyone is really on this site any longer, but I type fast so it's okay.

Can you explain this comment please? It seems like a criticism of the sites marketing, which is fine, criticize all you like but I'm curious what could be done to help the impression that you would get helpful advice by posting a question here. Since you type fast, can you give us some background on what led up to this comment? I'm sure the Admin will find it helpful.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Hi,

After reading your post I really don’t understand why you would buy a diamond that you don’t love. And when he does buy the diamond back are you obligated to buy another diamond from him? Also, try to buy only the setting and choose a different diamond that has a newer cert and is ideal cut. Best of luck and Happy New Year.

Yekutiel

Diamond Consultant

www.idjewelryonline.com

"You trust the guy because he showed you the Rappaport..or whatever"????

If only it was this easy for us to earn our customers trust........!

With all due respect, may I ask you whether you actually knew and understood exactly what you were looking at??

When I go to the mechanic to fix my car (I know absolutely nothing about cars....I get a leak somewhere and my whole family falls apart :D ...), if he showed me one of those "codes" that mecahnics use on those compuers to illustrate and to quantify exactly what he was charging me for, I wouldn't trust him one additional iota because he was being "honest" with me.

How can I determine his honesty if I don't even know what I am looking at??

In the final analysis, if you trust the guy that's all that matters.

However, do yourself a favor and don't base that trust on this kind of foundation.

It is one of the oldest tricks in the book for an insider to show you a "rap" sheet and attempt to give you the fuzzy feeling of being brought into the "inner sanctum" so that you get comfortable.

There are so many different variables and projections there, that it is not at all an arbiter of ones honesty...and certainly if he realizes that you have no idea what you are looking at.

Regards and Happy New Year to all!

Edited by DiamondMaven

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I just might buy the ring and find my own diamond to be put in it.

I don't understand why one would analyze a comment I made. I was simply saying that it's okay if I wasted my time. That's all!

We're on the road heading back to WA state. I think I should pass on this diamond. It's not what I want. You're right. Thanks, Denise

I'll check in at the next stop, which is CO Springs.

Happy New year!

I have been researching diamonds for two months now. I know I want an ideal or premium cut with an F or G color.

Is there a huge difference between F and G to the naked eye? Would you consider a G for price purposes?

T

Welcome to Colorado!

I’m guessing that you’re heading up to I-80 which will drive you within a hundred yards my office. Wave as you go by (58th avenue exit in north Denver). Where are you coming from?

An F color, ideal cut round in that same budget is going to drive your size to the 1.25ct range even if you take the clarity all the way down to SI1, and that's if you get a 'deal'. Tell us the rest of your parameters. In particular, are you striving for a particular budget, a particular size, a particular clarity or something else entirely?

To answer your question, most people can’t see the difference between a correctly graded F and an H even under optimum conditions.

Neil

Hi, Neil, we're in the general's suite at the Air Force Academy. Quite a lovely suite, I must say, about 2000 SF. We've decided to go to Vegas for three nights and ride out this storm that is coming. There is nothing but pounding rain for the oncoming days at our home in quaint and charming Poulsbo, WA. We wanted to go to Reno, but it's too risky at this point.

Neil, I saw you can custom order diamonds from Costco with GIA certs.

I might stop in at Portland -- no tax -- and see what they've got.

My budget is 15 grand with the ring. You really would consider an H instead of a F or G? That would certainly bring the cost down because I really don't want to spend 15 grand. That's six more than the insurance co. gave us on my old ring with a 10-year old appraisal. Aaaarrrghh! Keep those appraisals up to date is all I can say. Was robbed in broad daylight while waxing my car!

I can't even talk about it, Neil. Thanks for your help.

No, we're going 70 to Grand Junction for the night.

Oh, Neil, to answer your question...I definitely want an ideal cut diamond. That diamond I was looking at had a depth of 64.4 percent. Don't you think that's a poorly cut stone? I didn't see one stone with that depth on all of the various sites I looked at loose diamonds. I don't know why the guy put that stone into that lovely ring. I would have bought it in a heartbeat with a better stone.

And what I don't understand is why he didn't ofer to get me the ring with a better stone? He just assumed I didn't want to spend more but he never asked us! Poor sales, if you ask me.

Edited by daddysgirl

I hope you made it through. Eastbound I-70 over Vail pass was closed all day Monday, the day of your last post, due to avalanche and there were people who spent the whole day waiting in their cars and the night in the High School gym in Silverthorne. An interesting adventure to be sure but not what most people have in mind for their ski vacation to Colorado. Meanwhile 30 inches of new stone at Beaver Creak.

I wasn’t really endorsing H’s, I was just answering your question but yes, I think they are a viable alternative. People go all the way to J and still have a stone that faces up white. There is always going to be a balancing act between weight, clarity, color, cut and price. For most people the budget isn’t all that flexible so that means you need to compromise on one or more of the other 4. Drop the color and you get to make up for it somewhere else. More weight, higher clarity, lower price. More weight needs to be offset somewhere else. The same is true for accepting a lower clarity, a crappy cut and whatever. There’s a database at the top of the page titled ‘find online jeweler’ that allows you to enter a few stats and pull up offers. Even if you don’t intend to shop online this can be a very useful tool in seeing how these things relate. The search engine only allows shape/clarity/color/weight but not cut. Within a particular set of similar stones, the best cut tend to be the most expensive (Who’s surprised?).

Yes, Costco can special order diamonds with GIA grading. They’re a reliable outfit but it’s important if you go this way to get a professional grading done. GIA cut grading, at best, will tell you that it’s in the top 20% to get their ‘excellent’ grade. It may be worse than that because of grade inflation issues, perhaps more like the top 30-40%. It’s sort of like confusing a Pass on a Pass/Fail course in school with an A. Their viewing environment is laughable so looking at it the warehouse doesn’t really help much. The bright side is that their return policy is extremely reasonable so you have ample time to do with it whatever you wish. You can take it home, show it to your friends, get it appraised and whatever else you want before you make the ‘final’ decision. You can even return it to a different warehouse, in your case one that's closer to home if you decide you need to.

No clue why the jeweler didn’t try to sell you something else. Putting marginal stones into lovely rings is a common strategy. It helps them sell better. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, the diamond is the bulk of the budget but the ring provides a lot of the ‘look’. I agree that letting customers walk out the door without at least trying to match them with what they want is bad salesmanship.

Neil

Hi, Neil, you are so helpful and I thank you so much. Yes, getting over I-70 was very stressful even with the sun shining. People drive like idiots! I'm going to have to read your most-appreciated post more in depth when I get a chance. I have been consumed with researching weather. I sure don't want to drive to Vegas south. It's like 1300 miles out of our way! I think we're just going to head up north over the Blue Mountains in Oregon, which can be treacherous as I drove them alone in the winter of 2004 crying my eyes out while my daddy was near death while my husband was out to sea. So treking over those again is something I never wanted to do again.

That stupid general's suite screwed us! Livin' high on the hog. My husband is a commander in the Navy and we almost never get treated with such great accommodations that it set us back a day!

Have you ever heard of Parvis (that's a phonetic spelling) jewelers in NYC? That is the ring I wanted. They are a Jewish family in NYC who makes rings, I guess, and I want that mounting. It is nowhere to be found on the Internet. Any suggestion, Neil?

We saw five wrecks today on I-70 with near perfect clear roads, but A LOT of dirt! YUK!. These people are so reckless. Thanks again, Neil!

No, I’ve never heard of Parvis jewelers in NY. That doesn’t mean much though, I’m 2000 miles away after all. If they’ve got the ring of your dreams and you trust them as a supplier then you are more than half way. Ring them up and talk to them about it. Tell them straight out that you love the ring but you want it with a different diamond. Ask if they will be willing to set a diamond bought elsewhere into it for you, if they will sell you just the mounting without a center stone or if they can make you an offer of alternative stones that would work in it. Ask them what the limits are for what size stone they can put in it. This will be helpful in shopping the competition. Not every stone will fit in every mounting after all.

We call those drivers ‘flatlanders’. They do make life interesting. Those wrecks and all that dirt were from the avalanches on Monday and from stalled cars that were waiting for the roads to clear. The highway was backed up for 50 miles or so! I’m surprised there weren’t dozens of them. There aren’t really all that many tow trucks up there and this only happens once a decade or so and it takes a few days to clear it up.

Neil