Cushion Cut For Legacy Replica - Expert Needed.

mlbtraveler

I am starting to look for a cushion cut diamond for a tiffany legacy replica and don't want to over pay for things I don't feel are too important. I do want it to be a nice bright shiny diamond, but wondering what would be a good table and depth.

I am looking at"

Carat: 0.96-1.0

Clarity - VS2

Cut: VG+ (sites say this is the most important, do you think?)

Color - D-F

What should I expect to pay for the lower ends of my requirements? Can I bargain with the 47th street dealers in NYC?

I have seen the ring I like at both exceldiamonds.com and diamondideals.com and plan on visiting both. Does anyone else know where I could get the Tiffany Legacy Replica (like Cannes Bezel on diamondideals.com) http://www.diamondideals.com//jewelry/photos_pop.cfm/id/75

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I am starting to look for a cushion cut diamond for a tiffany legacy replica and don't want to over pay for things I don't feel are too important. I do want it to be a nice bright shiny diamond, but wondering what would be a good table and depth.

I am looking at"

Carat: 0.96-1.0

Clarity - VS2

Cut: VG+ (sites say this is the most important, do you think?)

Color - D-F

What should I expect to pay for the lower ends of my requirements? Can I bargain with the 47th street dealers in NYC?

I have seen the ring I like at both exceldiamonds.com and diamondideals.com and plan on visiting both. Does anyone else know where I could get the Tiffany Legacy Replica (like Cannes Bezel on diamondideals.com) http://www.diamondideals.com//jewelry/photos_pop.cfm/id/75

Thanks in advance for all your help.

You won't be able to shop by numbers for a cushion cut diamond. You need to look for a stone with an overall brightness and no bow tie. Make sure to compare visually the stones or as many as you can. Here is an example of a bad cut next to a good cut cushion.

post-10-1198942162_thumb.jpg

Jan -

I agree, night and day with those two diamonds. What would be a good range for table and depth to look for in a high quality diamond?

Thanks for the post.

You can't really go by a couple of numbers to tell you how pretty the stone will be. Feel free to browse our website under cushion cuts. I have some on there complete with pictures and numbers from the GIA lab reports to give you an idea.

Jan / Others

Looking on your site there isn't anything that fits my bill. I am going out to NYC to get the setting I want, and figure I just get a diamond there. I am open to suggestions if you have any. I have searched for diamonds on here and pricescope so I have a good idea on what to pay, but wondering when I get there if the diamond brokers will negotiate?

All help is appreciated... Thanks.

Hi mlbtraveler,

First of all, my suggestion is to buy the setting and diamond from the same place.

If you buy them in separate places, no one is responsible for the outcome.

The style of ring you seek is not all that difficult to find- but the setting work makes a huge difference in the results.

Here's one we did with a bezel set cushion, and pink gold/pink diamond surround. The center can also be prong set.

126r1651d.JPG

126r1651b.JPG

47th street: There are so many people here who will negotiate with you- the problem is, many of them are strangers from integrity.

Walking down 47th street trying to find a deal on a diamond puts people in the clutches of some really aggressive sellers with little interest in honest dealing.

Look at it this way- a successful, honest dealer is going to ask a fair price, right out of the gate. These sellers may offer a small discount to close a deal- but on important diamonds ( like a 1.00 cushion) if there's a lot of play, the guy was asking way too much to start with.

IN fact a common ploy on this street is asking a huge price, then sliding down the price pole as the buyer prepares to walk.

Here's the scenario:

Consumer: How much is that diamond?"

Seller: "The tag says $5000, but you look like a nice person- we'll sell it to you for $3500."

As the consumer turns to leave, the seller asks: "OK- how about $2500?"

Who knows where the bottom is?

The dealers you've made appointments with are not walk in places- nothing I said about the 47th street shopping experience applies to the two dealers you mentioned

Have you decided what type of cushion you'd like?

Here's two different looks in cushion diamonds:

This one is a modern brilliant faceted Cushion. I was an imperfect stone, yet really well cut.

330r2299a.JPG

The one below is one cut recently- but done in a more retro style- with larger facets.

CushionCut_18.jpg

Edited by diamondsbylauren

Hi Mlbtraveler,

The setting shouldn’t be a problem to get in the diamond district. The problem is finding the right jeweler to do so. Many times the molds of the ready made casted rings are not made for the diamond that you choose, but in any event it can be easily done. If you’re looking for a very sparkly and drop dead cushion cut diamond, I would highly recommend looking at a Cushette cut diamond. Check out the Cushette website for more information about it. www.cushette.com . I happen to be an authorized Cushette dealer and I would just like you to be open to all your options and decision making process.

diamondsbylauren -

Thanks for all the feedback, looking at different sites I would assume I could get a 1ct cushion with my requirements for about $4,500 does that sounds fair? Could I negotiate with the two dealers I mentioned? I also like your ring, it is pretty ideal, but with out the fancy colored diamonds. I checked out your site, very nice antique style rings, what would I be looking at for a price tag on a 1ct GIA diamond with the requirements listed and that setting in platinum?

I don't plan on going anywhere unless I have seen good feedback on the sellers, I can't be getting taken for on this kind of purchase!

Thanks so much for all the help.

PS - Love the retro cut!

yekutiel -

I checked your site, it showed cushion cuts, but would those be cushette diamonds list or do they run a premium? I would have to agree with diamondsbylauren to get the setting and diamond at the same place to make them accountable for the craftsmanship. Do you have any tiffany legacy type of settings? I guess that would be my first question if I were to consider the cushette, however I do like the concept of the cross between round and princess, right up her alley.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Mlbtraveler,

We are not allowed to sell cushette cut diamonds online. We are only authorized to sell the cushette diamond in person in our store. That is why you will only be able to search for regular cushion cut diamonds in our diamond search. I do have a nice selection of both the cushette and cushion diamonds on hand as well of the setting that you would like. I can guarantee our craftsmanship. I’m fairly new to this forum and don’t really know the rules and regulations on things that I’m allowed and not allowed to post. Certainly, I do not want to per sway you to shop by me. Believe me there are many reputable jewelers on 47th street or near 47th street you. My advice is to shop and compare to whom will give you the best deal and good feeling. All of the people that participate in this forum only want to well inform and educate you on possibilities to achieve the diamond ring of your dreams. Have a happy and healthy New Year.

Yekutiel

Diamond Consultant

www.idjewelryonline.com

Yekutiel -

Ok, I will have to come take a look at the cushette then when I am out in NYC. I read your reviews and I think that deserves a stop to come and meet you. Do you have any pictures that you can post of your setting that I like? I am looking forward to this experience.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

diamondsbylauren -

Thanks for all the feedback, looking at different sites I would assume I could get a 1ct cushion with my requirements for about $4,500 does that sounds fair? Could I negotiate with the two dealers I mentioned? I also like your ring, it is pretty ideal, but with out the fancy colored diamonds. I checked out your site, very nice antique style rings, what would I be looking at for a price tag on a 1ct GIA diamond with the requirements listed and that setting in platinum?

I don't plan on going anywhere unless I have seen good feedback on the sellers, I can't be getting taken for on this kind of purchase!

Thanks so much for all the help.

PS - Love the retro cut!

Hi,

Yes, I do believe you can buy a very nice cushion diamond, with GIA report, for $4500- although I do believe you'll need to compromise a bit on color and clarity.

Our platinum antique style settings will start arond $2000.

As far as negotiating:As I've said- the best, most honest dealers do not mark diamonds with inflated prices to allow them to knock a lot off the price tag. Sure- you might as well try to negotiate though!

I'm not a fan of the branded stones- the unwillingness to publish prices online certainly puts the buyer in a weaker position going in- and suggests that the prices of the branded stones is higher. That has been my experience. There are so many lovely non-branded stones it makes little sense to me to pay extra for a brand name.

Just to let everyone know that there isn’t a difference in price from a cushion and cushette diamond. Both of these diamonds go according to the fancy list of rappaport. It just so happen to be that the owners of the Cushette cut diamonds hand select the most finest and reputable jewelers to represent them. The reason we aren’t allowed to list and sell them online is the fact they don’t want this diamond to be easily acquired by any diamond dealer or jeweler. So to sum up, you will not pay more for a Cushette cut diamond.

Just to let everyone know that there isn’t a difference in price from a cushion and cushette diamond. Both of these diamonds go according to the fancy list of rappaport. It just so happen to be that the owners of the Cushette cut diamonds hand select the most finest and reputable jewelers to represent them. The reason we aren’t allowed to list and sell them online is the fact they don’t want this diamond to be easily acquired by any diamond dealer or jeweler. So to sum up, you will not pay more for a Cushette cut diamond.

I don't understand

are you saying that these stones are supposedly hedl back from dealers so they can be sold for the same price legit dealers who advertise prices?

the rap list has little to do with what consumers actually pay

Some dealers sell.below the list, others sell above the list.

of course it would make sense to keep prices secret if they are high.

There's so many sellers who do advertise prices- I think holding prices secret at least gives the appearance of high prices

Yekutiel -

Do you have a link or pic of that legacy setting? Also, any take on ideal depth and table for a cushion cut?

Traveler;

We do manufacture a beautiful Legacy setting.

Here is one we recently completed for one of our Clients:

http://www.diamondvues.com/2007/12/beautif...gacy_repli.html

Barry -

Thanks for the link, I do know she would love this setting. Do you have any more pictures of it? What are the specs on the accent diamonds? I plan on stopping into your shop when I visit to see your craftsmanship.

I do have a question about appointment times, how long does one typically take? I plan on making a few and space them out. Looking forward to seeing your setting.

Thanks.

Hi Mlbtraveler,

I am not in office this moment and won’t be in till Wednesday. The picture of the setting is the same as the ones pictured in the posts above. There are set parameters for an ideal cut cushion. If you look at the charts it seems that the depth should be range of 59-62 and table from 57-60%. In my personal experience in selling diamonds especially Cushion cut diamonds you really have to see the diamond in person. There are many forms on how cushion cut diamonds can appear regardless of depth and table. Everyone has a different taste on what attracts them. I find the same to be in cushions. Do you like the modern cut or the antique cut, more facets or more pillowed faceted? Come in person and we will hold nothing back. Again whishing all A happy and healthy New Year.

Yekutiel

Diamond Consultant

www.idjewelryonline.com

Hi All,

Mb- the larger cushion picture I posted is a stone we recently sold.

Here's the stats:

ITEM #: R2299

14Karat White Gold Diamond Ring

WEIGHT: 3.30ct

SHAPE: Cushion Cut

COLOR: F

CLARITY: I1

MEASUREMENTS: 9.98 x 9.05 x 4.95 mm

TOTAL DEPTH: 54.7%

FLUORESCENCE: NONE

There was no GIA report, so the color and clarity are my own grades.

But the measurements are the measurements.

This stone, at 54.7% depth was one of the nicest cuts I've seen.

The lady who's wearing it today is beyond thrilled.

The 54.7% depth meant that the 3.30carats looked like many 5 carat cushions. There was absolutely no negative impact to the depth.

It did fall outside the stats you posted- that's because they are meaningless, and NOT agreed upon by GIA, or AGSL.

I'm still curious why prices need to kept secret......

Hi All,

Mb- the larger cushion picture I posted is a stone we recently sold.

Here's the stats:

ITEM #: R2299

14Karat White Gold Diamond Ring

WEIGHT: 3.30ct

SHAPE: Cushion Cut

COLOR: F

CLARITY: I1

MEASUREMENTS: 9.98 x 9.05 x 4.95 mm

TOTAL DEPTH: 54.7%

FLUORESCENCE: NONE

There was no GIA report, so the color and clarity are my own grades.

But the measurements are the measurements.

This stone, at 54.7% depth was one of the nicest cuts I've seen.

The lady who's wearing it today is beyond thrilled.

The 54.7% depth meant that the 3.30carats looked like many 5 carat cushions. There was absolutely no negative impact to the depth.

It did fall outside the stats you posted- that's because they are meaningless, and NOT agreed upon by GIA, or AGSL.

I'm still curious why prices need to kept secret......

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am able to replicate the cushion legacy setting you see at tiffany's. not sure if I am able to send a link of photos to self promote but i came across this link while following a search one of my customers gave me... feel free to respond to this link if you need more help. I would be glad to send you some photos of the legacy designs (there are two)

Nina