Witch One Would You Buy?

johnson9530

Ok i understand,lets say you can see them and you like what you see in both,would you rather have 1.71ct H color vvs2 clarity,,,or 1.57ct G color vs1 clarity. I am traying to figure out if it is worth getting the 1.71 because it is bigge. but is it as nice as the G color, vs1( looking)? or is there not even that much different in size anyway....thanks

Ok i understand,lets say you can see them and you like what you see in both,would you rather have 1.71ct H color vvs2 clarity,,,or 1.57ct G color vs1 clarity. I am traying to figure out if it is worth getting the 1.71 because it is bigge. but is it as nice as the G color, vs1( looking)? or is there not even that much different in size anyway....thanks

There is simply no way to answer without more information. Cut quality is what determines a diamond's light performance. You likely won't see a difference in G to H color or in VVS2 to VS1 clarity, but this again depends on cut, which will influence how a diamond faces up.

For example, especially in rounds (but to a degree in all shapes), light will get in and out of a well-cut diamond with more intensity. This means less entrapment of body color. Ergo, near-colorless diamonds (G-J) may 'face up' better than the lab-assigned grade when well cut. The opposite is also possible; a poorly-cut diamond in the near-colorless range may face up with more yellow or brown than its lab assigned grade.

So to your question; if both are cut and priced identically and you see no difference in appearance with the naked eye I'd go for size. However it's unlikely that they are cut identically.

Ok i understand,lets say you can see them and you like what you see in both

Why make this assumption? .....it's totally negating the whole point.

You need to be able to observe visual characteristics to know which one you like better.

Do you want a 2000 square foot house, or a 2300 square foot house? That's as vague a question.

If the the 2300 house in near the town dump, and the 2000 sq ft house is on a lake we'd go for the smaller one, right?

The point is that a diamond can not be properly evaluated based solely on the numbers off a GIA report.....

I don't know if the cut grade is from the actual GIA lab report or just somone 's interpetation of cut, but I would at least go for an excellent cut grade versus a very good because it is too broad and general to tell you how bright the diamond will be. If possible get photos of the diamond and some kind of light performance evaluation as well.

Below is an example of what someone bought sight unseen with a very good cut grade supposedly. The stone on the right is the very good cut grade versus a really nice asscher on the left.

post-10-1198862715_thumb.jpg

I don't know if the cut grade is from the actual GIA lab report or just somone 's interpetation of cut, but I would at least go for an excellent cut grade versus a very good because it is too broad and general to tell you how bright the diamond will be. If possible get photos of the diamond and some kind of light performance evaluation as well.

Below is an example of what someone bought sight unseen with a very good cut grade supposedly. The stone on the right is the very good cut grade versus a really nice asscher on the left.

Jan, GIA does NOT issue a "Cut Grade for Asscher, or Square Emerald Cut diamonds.

Therefore, any "cut grade" is totally useless as it's just an opinion- and likely based on nothing but stats- which can not tell the whole story.

There was no mention of shape on this thread from the original poster.

Thaks Jan, I stand corrected. The posted did ask about an Asscher in another thread, I assumed he was alos aking about them here....

So, in your photo, someone had bought an Asscher diamond rated "very good"- which obviously, it's not, yes?

Goes to show how misleading "Cut Grades" can be if they are not from GIA.