How To Acquire Grading Certificate For Colored Diamonds??

bethany621

Hi, I hope everyone is having a great holiday season. :)

I have a couple of cognac diamonds that I purchased a number of years ago, and would like to know how I should go about getting them certified and appraised for insurance and/or resale purposes.

Q1 - Is GIA still the go-to lab for colored diamonds?

Q2 - How do I go about submitting them for certification to GIA, without worrying that they might not come back at all? (do I get a jeweler to submit them for me, and what should this cost?) EDIT: I just found this link on another thread, so it looks like I can submit them without a jeweler: http://www.gia.edu/gemtradelab/31508/how_t...bmit_stones.cfm

Q3 - How do I find someone knowledgeable enough in colored dimaonds to appraise them? (the top local jewelry store - Underwoods - thought colored diamonds only came in blue, lol)

I have included pics since I happen to have them...just links to my webshots album because I haven't figured out how to upload a pic. :)

Diamond 1 - C7 Cognac (no color enhancement), sold as "SI1, 1.25 carat. 6.6mm." FYI...this diamond looks far richer than the one below...it has tons of deep red and orange flashes. (oops...sorry that this pic is so small!)

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/37152/28...S600x600Q85.jpg

Diamond 2 - C6? Cognac (no color enhancement), sold as "SI1, 1.75 carat. 7.56mm." This diamond is a little lighter than the one above...it flashes red and orange, but the color is not quite as intense.

http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/36139/25...S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks very much for any assistance that anyone can offer, and best wishes for the New Year!

Beth

Edited by bethany621

As you discovered, GIA will accept work from anyone although for new purchases it’s generally quite a bit easier to simply buy stones where the selling dealer has already sent it in.

Your strategy of interviewing a prospective appraiser to see if they have the tools and the knowledge to answer they question at hand is a good one. Not all have experience with the same things. If it’s a big store, be aware that who you are talking to may be one of the sales people, not the appraiser and just because THEY don’t know much doesn’t mean that the appraiser doesn’t.

Here’s a few good places to look for appraisers. As with your local store, call up the one you are considering and talk to them before you make a deal.

American Gem Society

American Society of Appraisers

National Association of Jewelry Appraisers

Resale appraisals are a very different assignment from insurance appraisals. If you’re going into this as a business venture, meaning your plan is to buy a stone and resell it at a profit I would carefully consider what your resale plans are. This idea rarely works out well for amateurs and it’s terribly important to have a grasp on exactly who you are planning on selling to and how. An appraiser saying that it’s ‘worth’ a zillion dollars doesn’t mean that you’ll be able to get it.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Resale appraisals are a very different assignment from insurance appraisals. If you’re going into this as a business venture, meaning your plan is to buy a stone and resell it at a profit I would carefully consider what your resale plans are. This idea rarely works out well for amateurs and it’s terribly important to have a grasp on exactly who you are planning on selling to and how. An appraiser saying that it’s ‘worth’ a zillion dollars doesn’t mean that you’ll be able to get it.

Neil

Neil, thanks for the info and taking the time to answer my questions.

I can definitely promise you that I am not looking to go into this as a business, lol.

- I am keeping one, and wanted to get it certified and then appraised for insurance purposes before setting it.

- The other one I want to sell because I am not going to use it, and assumed the certification would help me sell it.

I have already determined that there is no one locally that can really appraise these for me...if anyone can recommend a specific appraiser that knows how to research colored diamonds, I would greatly appreciate it! (and if that happens to be Neil, I will be glad to ship them to him!)

Hi Bethany,

I'm a big proponent of GIA- when it comes to Fancy Colors ( in general) there's no one else to even consider.

BUT- browns do present different challenges.

Argyle- the Australian company- has a great way of classifying browns- better in some ways than GIA's scale.

The low cost of brown diamonds also makes GIA less necessary......

AS you've learned, you can submit them to GIA on your own- and the diamonds will be safe when there ( make sure to indsure the shipment)

Here's an interesting stone we just sold- GIA gave it Fancy Deep Orange- Brown

r2334a.JPG

r2334b.JPG

r2334c.JPG

Edited by diamondsbylauren

AS you've learned, you can submit them to GIA on your own- and the diamonds will be safe when there ( make sure to indsure the shipment)

David, can you give me any guidance on how much to insure them for when I mail them? I am really clueless.

BTW, I have watched your auctions on ebay for a number of years, and have always been impressed at the quality of your offerings, as well as your humorous ads! You definitely blow all the other ebay diamond sellers away from a knowledge and integrity standpoint. (actually, your were the primary reason that I decided to post my question here, once I saw that you posted quite frequently!)

I already told my sister that the next time she makes a large diamond purchase, she needs to go through you...her current solitare is 5.25ct and she is looking to upgrade down the road. She goes to Manhattan at least 3-4 times a year to see her dermatologist, so she may need to squeeze in a vist to you as well. :)

I'd insure for $3k for the smaller one, and 5K for the larger.

Not that I'm commenting on the value....

I am certainly glad I asked, since I would have insured both of them (together) for about $1500 based on what I paid, lol. But it is better to be safe than sorry, especially since I am fairly clueless!

Thanks!! :)