Cut: Very Good

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Very Good

Measures: 6.85-6.89 x 4.26

Table: 57%

Crown Angle: 35.5

Pavilion Angle: 41.0

Depth: 62

Four days ago I knew nothing about diamonds, and now I have read so much that I am going crazy trying to figure out whether I am picking a great stone or not!

My question is whether or not an excellent cut would be significantly better, and if I should be concerned about a Polish grade of only "good".

Is the 62% depth a tad too deep, or do these dimmensions fit the criteria of an impressive stone? Should I continue to look at more GVS2's for a better cut or specific measurement?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jay (need to make a purchase in the next few days)

Edited by jfrantz27

Your polish of ‘good’ is probably the reason that the cut was given ‘very good’ instead of ‘excellent’ by GIA although there may be others as well. Under GIA rules, the cut grade can be at most one grade higher than the polish and symmetry grades so the maximum cut grade for a stone with a Good polish is Very Good.

It might be wonderful stone. It depends on what they didn’t like about the polish. There’s plenty of Very Goods and even Goods that are terrific and even the occasional Excellent that I don’t care for. I wouldn’t call this a deal killer. Have you seen it?

www.facetware.gia.edu might be an interesting visit.

Neil

Your polish of ‘good’ is probably the reason that the cut was given ‘very good’ instead of ‘excellent’ by GIA although there may be others as well. Under GIA rules, the cut grade can be at most one grade higher than the polish and symmetry grades so the maximum cut grade for a stone with a Good polish is Very Good.

It might be wonderful stone. It depends on what they didn’t like about the polish. There’s plenty of Very Goods and even Goods that are terrific and even the occasional Excellent that I don’t care for. I wouldn’t call this a deal killer. Have you seen it?

Neil

Thanks Neil. I am out looking at another stone this morning. It is a 1.21 GSI1 that the dealer thinks is better than many VS2's. I could not see anything without at 10x, and even after locating it with a 10x, i still couldnt see it witht he naked eye. It is also rated Excellent across the board. The SI1 has only a feather on the side, and a small cloud off to the far side of the center, and I could only see it with the 10x by looking up from the bottom. The VS2 has a small crystal in the center of the stone.

Am I better off with the 1.21 GSI1 with 3 Excellent ratings?

the specs are close..

table:56%

crown angle: 32.5

depth 61.9%

This dealer, who i have dealt with before and trust, told me that he prefers the crown angle to be less than the 35.5 on the first stone.

Obviously I am getting way to into details. I simply wish i could see them side by side in natural light, but they are from two different shops.

35.5 is indeed a bit on the high side but then 32.5 is a bit low, especially without knowing the matching pavilion angle.

Most jewelers will allow you to take the stone (leaving some sort of a deposit of course) so that you can view it in whatever lighting you like, show it to your mother, your appraiser or your guru and make your decision. There usually is a fairly short window for whichever one you decide you don’t want so you should schedule your appraisal appointment before you even pick up the stone but 7 – 10 days is not unusual.

Neil

Neil

Thanks for the help so far Neil... so... i made a purchase...

post-114483-1198291227_thumb.jpg

Something bothered me about the 1.24 GVS2 from my post last night (I am hoping it wasn't simply because I was comparing it to FVS2's at the time) Would the crystal inclusion in the middle of the stone make it look less bright? (this was also only a "very good", with "good" polish)...

So, the GIA Cert attached is the one that I purchased today. How do the numbers look? Is the lower crown angle okay with the pavilion angle? I compared the color to many F's and couldnt see a difference. I also took it into normal lighting and thought it had more reflection or crisper bursts of light, or whatever. At any rate, I would be curious to hear what Neil and JohnQuixote think of this stone, as I spent about three hours reading all your posts last night. It is a SI1 instead of a VS2, but to my dealer's point, I certainly could not find any of the inclusions visable without a 10x scope. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

-Jay