Radiant Diamond Question

ShaneK

Hello All,

I am shopping for engagement rings and know very little to nothing about diamonds. I do know when something looks very suspicious, and this seems to be. Might be the fact that I am extremely careful when making this sort of purchase. Here is my information.

The Diamond.

Carat: 0.95

Color: H

Clarity: SI2

Cut: This is the kicker, they said that when this diamond was appraised, there was not the technology to determine the cut of radiant diamonds (2 or 3 years ago). Plus they say there is not really a standard still for Radiant diamonds? This seems completely not right to me as supposedly the cut can make up to 40% of the price.

Dimensions: 5.93 X 4.64 X 4.31 mm

Also, I have used the tool above to find similar online jewelry and the price of the diamonds do not go any higher than $2300.

Asking price is $3420

Can someone please enlighten me to Radiants and whether there is a difference in rating a cut. Also, is this price within the range one would expect for the diamond described.

Thanks so much in advance!

Can someone ple

It is accurate that neither GIA or AGS currently provides a Cut Grade for radiant shape diamonds.

There is no such thing as an "ideal" cut radiant. There are many table-crown-pavillion facet angle combinations

and percentages that a skilled diamond cutter can use to fashion a beautiful face up radiant.

Radiants and all fancy shapes have to be seen to be appreciated. "Numbers" alone off a lab grading report will not give you any indication as to how the stone faces up and refracts light.

Two radiant cut diamonds with very similar "numbers" may very well l@@k very different.

Insofar as price is concerned, the diamond search function will give you a good representative indicator of prices for these specs.

Edited by barry

It is accurate that neither GIA or AGS currently provides a Cut Grade for radiant shape diamonds.

There is no such thing as an "ideal" cut radiant. There are many table-crown-pavillion facet angle combinations

and percentages that a skilled diamond cutter can use to fashion a beautiful face up radiant.

Radiants and all fancy shapes have to be seen to be appreciated. "Numbers" alone off a lab grading report will not give you any indication as to how the stone faces up and refracts light.

Two radiant cut diamonds with very similar "numbers" may very well l@@k very different.

Insofar as price is concerned, the diamond search function will give you a good representative indicator of prices for these specs.

Thanks for explaining! Price looks to be high in comparison to other diamonds.

Cut on radiants is tricky. The key is to look at lots and lots of diamonds. Since most people aren’t in a position to do this, the next best thing is to find an advisor who has looked at lots and lots of diamonds, and who can look at the one you’re considering.

The easiest source is from the dealer selling it. If they actually have the stone, and they have looked at some other stones so they have a basis to compare it, you’ve got your advisor. Ask ‘em. If you don’t think your dealer knows, or you don’t think they’re telling you the whole story, consult with an independent appraiser before you cement the deal.

Neil