First Diamond - Anything To Be Aware Of?

Aust2007

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a diamond and am pretty happy with the price but would like any thoughts on the stone and if there is anything I have overlooked which would depress the value of the stone? The only thing I was wary of was the EGL certification but in the small city I am in most of the stones seem to be EGL or another non GIA graded and I wanted to visually inspected the stone myself with an untrained eye!

I paid ~$11,700 (AUD) or $10,000 (USD) at todays ex rate.

Searching online dealers (blunnile etc) it seems pretty good given it was from a physical jewler. There jewlers in the same city seemed to be much more expensive and the store I got this from is very well known and respected...

All this makes me nervous as it seems too good...

The information is below: Comments welcome!

4 C's

Cut & Shape : Round Brilliant

Carat Weight : 1.30 Cts. Fluor: None

Color Grade : F

Clarity Grade : VVS1

Proportions

Dimensions : 7.08-7.05x4.29mm.

Total Depth : 60.7% Crown Height : 14 %

Table Width : 58% Pavillion Depth : 44 %

Girdle : Thin, Faceted

Finish

Polish : Excellent

Symmetry : Excellent

Culet : None

Comments:

- "DiaScript" appears on the girdle.

- "EXCELLENT IDEAL CUT" - The quality of the cut of this diamond achieved excellence in symmetry and proportions, thus obtaining the optimal dispersion of light and brillaince.

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by Aust2007

That seems like a reasonable deal, especially if you’ve seen the stone and you love it. EGL grading can be difficult to compare, even to other EGL’s and sometimes their ideas of VVS1 and F are considerably different from others. It sounds like you’re happy with your dealer and if they stand behind the grading and you love the stone, it sounds like you’ve got a hit.

Neil

I agree with Neil,

If you love the stone- then congrats!

I do think that it's important to point out that a diamond graded F/VVS2 without a GIA report ( or by some other lab) can be worth less than half one that does have the GIA report.

The term "EXCELLENT IDEAL CUT" is like a used car salesman telling you "it's a creampuff" there's absolutely NO real meaning to this phrase in this context- yet it's used as if it actually means something.

To me, that;'s just another reason these sub par labs wil never achieve the legitimacy of GIA.