Princess Or Round

RickyCe

I just want to get some general ideas of how people feel about these two types of diamonds. My gf wants either one of these two. I'm Just looking for general comments. Here are my thoughts, feel free to comment.

1) Princess cuts seem to be slightly cheaper in prices when compared to rounds.

2) The cut on rounds are better and therefore tend to have more fire and brilliance.

3) A round with a really good cut seems to look bigger than a princess within a comparable CT.

Just fyi... i'm trying to decide between the princess or round. My "basic" parameters that I have chosen are:

min 1.25 ct

min G

min VS1 (willing to go VS2)

GIA or AGS only

best possible in symmetry and polish

pointed and no FL

table and depth vary on princess or round

min 1.25 ct

min G

min VS1 (willing to go VS2)

GIA or AGS only

best possible in symmetry and polish

pointed and no FL

table and depth vary on princess or round

You're doing great. You have a good basic grasp and a fine target plan. Technically princess cuts can have great have brightness and fire too, they just don't have the vivid on-off flashes rounds have. It's a difference in contrast pattern; fancy shapes rely on motion more than rounds do and because of greater variability in faceting there is a wider range of 'looks' in fancies (example; the choice of 2,3,4 or 5 chevron pavilion faceting in princess will alter the size of the scintillation events relative to stone size).

I'm a fan of AGS grading as a benchmark. The AGS0 is especially useful in princess shapes, first because the extra time and effort it takes manufacturers to cut to AGS0 standards is resulting in some dynamite, upper-echelon stones, and second bacause when you're seeking a princess online the numbers can't lead to meaningful predictions in the same way they can with rounds.

So you know, blue fluorescence is not really an issue, particularly when medium or lower - you won't notice its presence unless you're under blacklight. It can actually help the face-up appearance of near-colorless stones. Check this GIA study, the pdf is linked at the bottom. The second paragraph on this page is a good sumup: http://www.gia.edu/gemsandgemology/18578/1...icle_detail.cfm

Sounds like you've done good homework so far.

Edited by JohnQuixote

RickyCe;

Welcome to Diamond.Info

Rounds vs. Princess cuts are two entirely different l@@ks.

In both shapes and especially in Princess Cuts, "numbers" alone are not predicitve of face up beauty. Because of the irregular architecture of the Princess shape, achieving maximum light refraction up through the Table and Crown facets to your eye is very difficult with light leaking out of this shape primarily through it's four points.

While the AGS-Ideal lab graded Princess Cuts are generally superior in their face up beauty compared to non AGS-Ideal graded Princess Cuts, I have seen and evaluated AGS-Ideal Princess diamonds that were dull and lifeless. The fact is that a skilled diamond cutter can bring forth a beautiful face up Princess-Cut diamond with Table-Depth combinations in this shape that fall outside current definitions of "Ideal".

post-5339-1197630565_thumb.jpg

2.01 F VVS-2 GIA

If you're shopping in B&M jewelry stores your best course of action is to see as many princess cuts with different Table/depth combinations and in various lighting environments as possible. What appeals to you?

If you're shopping with an Internet Vendor, work with one that does not drop-ship the diamond to you directly from the manufacturer sight unseen, but that calls in the diamond for inspection/evaluation and provides you with photos and data that will enable you to make a more informed decision.

Good Luck!

Edited by barry