Need Help With Emerald Cut Diamond

RosieS

I am looking at an Emerald cut diamond but would like some opinions as I'm feeling unsure about the proportions and finish. It's a 2.00 carat stone, 9.32 x 5.91 x 4.03 with a depth of 68.2% and an 87% table. The polish is GOOD and the symmetry only FAIR. It's a VS1 clarity and E color grade. Everything I read says that table is way to big but I'm not sure how that affects the stone appearance and price. Also, how does a FAIR symmetry affect it? I've seen the stone. It's a beautiful color, a little longer and thinner than I prefer but the ratio seems to be in the acceptable range. Now that I've seen the GIA report, I'm questioning the proportions. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

We can't tell anything about shapes other than round with measurements (too many variables) but you're right... The 87% table will overtake the diamond's crown and likely reduces crown height, and therefore fire, considerably. Have you looked at it in normal lighting (away from jewelry store lights)? Did you compare it to another of the same shape with a smaller table?

From a technical standpoint 'Fair' is not a sign that things went swimmingly with diamond's crafting. Still you have seen it so perhaps the variations were not obvious ones: We know there are no visible differences in VG-EX polish/symmetry but in a survey some years ago GIA's naked eye experts could pick out symmetry variations in the Good grade, and many more could pick out Fair.

Your eyes are what's most important, but it's also important you feel good (some call it 'mind clean') about the diamond.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Rosie, I had a few minutes and to demonstrate what I'm talking about with the 87% table, here is a graphic comparing your general measurements and 87% table with the same spread and a more conventional 70% table.

Emeralds can look wonderful with large tables, but over 80% is pushing it in my opinion.

post-111809-1197591227_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnQuixote

Rosie, I had a few minutes and to demonstrate what I'm talking about with the 87% table, here is a graphic comparing your general measurements and 87% table with the same spread and a more conventional 70% table.

Emeralds can look wonderful with large tables, but over 80% is pushing it in my opinion.

John,

Thanks for your input. I haven't looked at the diamond outside the stores lighting. The store I'm working with is small and they only get a few diamonds in at a time for me to look at. I did not have the grading report while I was looking at the diamond. I only knew the color and clarity. I think I may have been swayed by the fact that this diamond is from a private seller and therefore a "deal" (?) since there is one less middleman. I'm not finding much information on how symmetry effects an emerald cut. Your picture really explained why the table size is important. I looked at a 1.82 carat emerald that was really nice and much less money. Maybe I should keep looking. Thanks!

John, Well, I just looked up the GIA report online and realized the 87% table I thought the fax said is actually 67%! After I saw your picture of what the table size is, I didn't think it could be 87%. Duh!!! So, now I just have to figure out how the polish and symmetry effect the stone. I totally agree with your "mind clean" statement. This is a big investment and I want to make sure I'm spending wisely! Thanks!

Rosie, that's good news. It will certainly result in more balanced performance. :) If I may make a suggestion, I think it would be prudent to involve an independent appraiser at this point. Since cut quality in these shapes determines a significant portion of their value you would quickly know whether the asking price is reasonable (or low, or high) and go into it with eyes wide open and educated about the implications of the finish grades on this particular stone.

If your jeweler is confident that the price is fair he/she should not mind you taking it to have it appraised before you finalize the purchase. The cost of appraisal varies (it should not be prohibitive) and you should shop for an appraiser with the same scrunity that you would shop for a seller.

Neil Beaty posts on this forum and is a GG and an AGS ICGA (one of only 13 to have earned this level of appraisal credential on planet earth...I can't speak for the rest of our local cluster of galaxies :) ). I imagine he might be able to make a recommendation in your area. If you're near Colorado you could have him do it.

Edited by JohnQuixote

I think you might be right about an appraiser. It seems like the more I research into diamond quality, the less I know. The information is overwhelming! I live in New Jersey so I'm sure I'll be able to find someone close by. Now, finding a reputable person might be the challenge! Thank you for all your advice!

We have had clients use David Wolf on 5th street, New York, NY (www.justappraisers.com). We've heard several times that he is very thorough and strict - and our customers are a pretty discriminating bunch. I like the fact that he encourages clients to attend the appraisal so it's educational, not just an evaluation. If you are able to make a trip to the apple I expect you'd have a fun session; immersed in the world of diamonds for an hour or so.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Rosie;

It would be a good idea for you to first visit some other local NJ-NY Jewelers that have a wider selection of Emerald Cut diamonds with varying proportions so that you can view and decide what type of look appeals to you.

post-5339-1197631872_thumb.jpg

It's difficult to make this kind of decision based only on seeing one diamond.

Barry,

After seeing Excel Diamonds recommended on this site a few times, I did some research last night. They have several emerald cut stones very close to the one I'm looking at with a better finish. The price is better at Excel too. So much for the "deal" I was getting! I'm in central Jersey so a trek into NYC should be my next step it seems. The references to reputable places in the city are helpful. Thanks!