Colored Gemstones In The Ring Setting

ratboy

Hi,

I am not sure if this topic meets the forum criteria but here goes. My girlfriend loves the color purple and I have started looking for an engagement ring for her. Shortly after starting my search I saw that some ring setting come with colored gemstones to bring out a certain color in the center diamond. I did not see any purpled colored stones as options so I started look for a jeweler to make a ring with purple colored side stones. The choices I found are amethysts and purple sapphire stones. The center diamond and side stones are all going to be princess cut. My questions are the following:

Are diamond engagement rings with colored gemstones on the side something I should even consider buying or are they just a gimmick?

Are amethysts or purple sapphire stones ok to use on a diamond engagement ring?

What quality amethyst or purple sapphire stone should I look for in such a ring?

I was given this rating for amethyst side stones “AA: Eye clean to slight imperfections; medium/dark to dark purple, little or no color zoing; good cut†is this acceptable?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Use whatever stone makes HER HAPPY!!!

We make engagement and wedding rings with stones other than diamond all the time.. Sapphires and Tanzanite are very common alternatives.. But Amethyst works fine as well.. Even though it is not considered by many people to be a fine gem, there are some beautiful amethyst out there.. Amethyst is very inexpensive as well..

But, and this is a huge but, have her be involved in the making of any custom ring.. You won't be able to return it if she decides she doesn't like it..

There's nothing wrong in my opinion with an engagement ring with colored gemstones. In fact I always recommend people to go this route if they want a big rock but have a smaller budget rather then getting a style/look of ring they'll be unhappy with, at least with a gemstone you can upgrade later should you chose to do so.

Clarity on colored gems is a very tricky thing. People will say "AAA" or "AA", others may use terminology like "VVS" or "VS" (not quite the same as diamonds, in the gem world "VVS" basically implies very clean, "VS" means clean with eye-visible inclusions and "SI" means it's heavily included but not that bad of a rock). A lot of time these scales will shift dramatically for different types of stones. Like what might be VVS in sapphire might only be called VS or SI in amethyst, because in sapphire inclusions are very common. If you go to ebay they use all kinds of language to describe color, hue, saturation, etc, it's hard to know exactly what to expect. What I tend to look at is all their pictures of all their gems, and since I have a general idea of what certain gems should look like I get a rough idea of how their lighting is, etc, and that kind of tells me what I can expect any one stone to look like. If you're not sure, ask them ... "Is this top cornflower blue sapphire color? Or is it very dark blue?" or "Is this tourmaline top pink pink like bubblegum pink or just a light washed out pink or a purple-pink?"

Amethyst is almost always flawless or "VVS" anyhow in sizes <5ct. Don't pay a big premium for a "flawless" amethyst. Other stones that can be found in purple shades are spinel and tourmaline but you will have to do a lot of searching because they're not very common. They'll probably be closer to pink-purple rather then blue-purple but they're available, and I like spinel for rings due to their durability. Sapphire is a good option as well. Quality on sapphires range quite a bit, a lot depends on how it was treated. Sapphires 3ct++ untreated can fetch good prices, <1ct are not that expensive at all.

Hi,

I am not sure if this topic meets the forum criteria but here goes. My girlfriend loves the color purple and I have started looking for an engagement ring for her. Shortly after starting my search I saw that some ring setting come with colored gemstones to bring out a certain color in the center diamond. I did not see any purpled colored stones as options so I started look for a jeweler to make a ring with purple colored side stones. The choices I found are amethysts and purple sapphire stones. The center diamond and side stones are all going to be princess cut. My questions are the following:

Are diamond engagement rings with colored gemstones on the side something I should even consider buying or are they just a gimmick?

Are amethysts or purple sapphire stones ok to use on a diamond engagement ring?

What quality amethyst or purple sapphire stone should I look for in such a ring?

I was given this rating for amethyst side stones “AA: Eye clean to slight imperfections; medium/dark to dark purple, little or no color zoing; good cut†is this acceptable?

Thanks for your help in advance,

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you everyone for the advice. I have a much better idea of what to look for in a ring and don't feel as unsure about using colored gemstones.

Lee

I wanted to post an update to my original question. I bought a ring from JamesAllen.com. The person I dealt with at James Allen was very helpful her name is Jennifer Norbury. I would recommend buying a ring from James Allen and having Jennifer assist you in the purchased. She helped me decided on using amethyst like I asked about in this post. She also helped me pick out a centered diamond and recommend I buy the least expensive one out of my four choices.

The ring was beautiful and my fiancé loves it. She has been getting a ton of compliments on it. I would make sure the person you are getting the ring for wants something with colored gems stones as the other people in this post suggest. I am including a pictures of the ring. It’s not the best quality but its good enough to get an idea of what the ring looks like.

Thanks again to everyone who posted advice.

Lee

post-114418-1199726187.jpg