Difference Between G And I?

nolechk

can someone please give me advice, is there a big color difference between a g and an I. I can either get a 1.75 center at I or 1.5 ON MY BUDGET. wHICH SHOULD I DO?

Which lab graded the diamonds? What shape are they? What do you know about the cut quality? How color-sensitive are you when it comes to diamond color (hard to know unless you compare apples to apples with regard to the last three questions).

There are strictly graded Is (GIA/AGS) of top cut quality which 'face-up' as well as G. These are not as common as average cuts, where its more likely you'll see a face-up difference, but they exist.

can someone please give me advice, is there a big color difference between a g and an I. I can either get a 1.75 center at I or 1.5 ON MY BUDGET. wHICH SHOULD I DO?

Which lab graded the diamonds? What shape are they? What do you know about the cut quality? How color-sensitive are you when it comes to diamond color (hard to know unless you compare apples to apples with regard to the last three questions).

There are strictly graded Is (GIA/AGS) of top cut quality which 'face-up' as well as G. These are not as common as average cuts, where its more likely you'll see a face-up difference, but they exist.

Dont know they are on EBay. I am no where near an jewlery expert, I just didnt know if i will be able to tell a differenc in looking at them mounted. Both are princess

cut. It is the setting below he can do this one or a 1.75 center I for a bit more money.Let me know what you think:) and thanks for your help!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-50-CT-PRINCESS-CUT-L...VQQcmdZViewItem

Without a report from GIA or AGS I wouldn't touch it.

Jewelry fraud is rampant on eBay. That's not to say there aren't reputable sellers - there are - but it's a quagmire and you should tread extremely carefully. Tiffany & Co has brought suit against them (link).

I am not "into" the eBay jewelry scene (I buy sports jerseys and golf equipment) :) so I'm basing my comments on the horror stories I hear from consumers, the fact that our trade nearly lynched eBay VP Greg Fant at a 2006 GIA Symposium (comments at the bottom of this article) and continuing trouble like the T&Co lawsuit.

Edited by JohnQuixote

Without a report from GIA or AGS I wouldn't touch it.

Jewelry fraud is rampant on eBay. That's not to say there aren't reputable sellers - there are - but it's a quagmire and you should tread extremely carefully. Tiffany & Co has brought suit against them (link).

I am not "into" the eBay jewelry scene (I buy sports jerseys and golf equipment) :) so I'm basing my comments on the horror stories I hear from consumers, the fact that our trade nearly lynched eBay VP Greg Fant at a 2006 GIA Symposium (comments at the bottom of this article) and continuing trouble like the T&Co lawsuit.

thanks for your help i will check it out:)

In my opinion there's a big difference between G and I. If I were you and I wanted to be sure, I'd go to a few jewelry stores and ask to see some GIA graded stones G and I and compare. Look from all angles, top, side, bottom. If you just want it to face up nice and white it could very well be nice with an I color. If you want it to look top white from all sides.... and if you're going to set it low in the ring especially like bezel set in white metal I'd consider going with a G or H instead. Everyone's preference is different though, and not all stones are created/cut equal, so the best bet is to take a look at several in person, view in different lighting conditions, get a feel for what you like and go from there.

Best of luck.

Edited by Adylon

I think it depends...I purchased an I and on the day of the purchase i compared it to 2 other GIA cert I's in the store. The other diamonds were clearly more yellow than mine. It seems like individually rated colors can be conceptualized on a continuum. In other words, one I may present closer to a J while another maypresent closer to an H. To that end, I think it is very important to actually see and compare to the two diamonds that you are unsure about. It is too hard to say from a picture or website advertisement.

I think it depends...I purchased an I and on the day of the purchase i compared it to 2 other GIA cert I's in the store. The other diamonds were clearly more yellow than mine. It seems like individually rated colors can be conceptualized on a continuum. In other words, one I may present closer to a J while another maypresent closer to an H. To that end, I think it is very important to actually see and compare to the two diamonds that you are unsure about. It is too hard to say from a picture or website advertisement.

Ding-ding-ding-ding!... 100% right.

Color is a bandwidth, and gets wider as color grades get lower. In the near-colorless range this means a J can indeed present closer to an I than it can a K. As you move towards D the bandwidth eventually narrows to be impractical perceptually without the diamond being examined in an unmounted in a neutral/lab environment. Actually, it's impractical for a great many people even before that. The average human in our experience can't distinguish between one or two grades of color easily.

So in addition to how the diamond presents withint the bandwidth there is also human perception in the equation. And don't forget lighting lighting lighting - and environment; diamonds absorb and reflect back the colors in their surroundings.

(I love this stuff)

Edited by JohnQuixote