Need Some Help

spacenerd

The Actual Page where you can find the diamond in more detail.

Here is a diamond I'm looking at from blue nile. I don't have a picture of it as its not provided. However it does have reports by GIA & GCAL. I'm curious to know some opinions of some professionals and people that deal with this day to day. I tried to post some info on it but the site wouldn't let me so just use the above link.

Girdle? Medium to thick? That bad? What about depth and table whats ideal for a princess cut?

Hard to say spacenerd. Round diamonds follow the same outline so they are somewhat predictable "by the numbers." Fancy shapes have more variability so the numbers are not so helpful. This is the reason GIA grades cut for round brilliants but not other shapes. The AGS grades light performance based on ray-tracing - so AGS "Ideal" princess cuts exist - but they are few and far-between because it takes extra effort and time to produce those diamonds.

There are some wonderful GIA-graded princess cuts out there but without some proof of light performance - AGS document, ideal-scope photo, ASET photo or other - there is simply no way to judge the cut of a fancy shape.

A medium to thick girdle is not 'bad' but once above slightly thick the girdle can be hiding some of the stone's weight.

Hard to say spacenerd. Round diamonds follow the same outline so they are somewhat predictable "by the numbers." Fancy shapes have more variability so the numbers are not so helpful. This is the reason GIA grades cut for round brilliants but not other shapes. The AGS grades light performance based on ray-tracing - so AGS "Ideal" princess cuts exist - but they are few and far-between because it takes extra effort and time to produce those diamonds.

There are some wonderful GIA-graded princess cuts out there but without some proof of light performance - AGS document, ideal-scope photo, ASET photo or other - there is simply no way to judge the cut of a fancy shape.

A medium to thick girdle is not 'bad' but once above slightly thick the girdle can be hiding some of the stone's weight.

Thank You. I had no idea there was so much to know about diamonds. So I need an AGS report for light performance. One other question what should the depth be? I know(think) that there is an ideal depth for light performance granted all the other pieces have to fall into place as well.

My goal is to get a diamond in the 1carat range and have it look stunning. Assuming GIA report what characterists do I need. I want princess or round diamond (I'm leaning princess atm). I'm curious if I need the best of every category (4C's) to have the stunning diamond or can I relax in certain area's. I assume cut has to be one of the most important but I'm certain what to look for exactly to get my ideal diamond. So I was picking the best categories. I noticed that most people don't have a big selection when I chose to look at vvs2 or better clarity.

I'm going to goto a local store and have a look to see what to expect.

thanks again for the help,

Darek

Thank You. I had no idea there was so much to know about diamonds. So I need an AGS report for light performance. One other question what should the depth be? I know(think) that there is an ideal depth for light performance granted all the other pieces have to fall into place as well.

My goal is to get a diamond in the 1carat range and have it look stunning. Assuming GIA report what characterists do I need. I want princess or round diamond (I'm leaning princess atm). I'm curious if I need the best of every category (4C's) to have the stunning diamond or can I relax in certain area's. I assume cut has to be one of the most important but I'm certain what to look for exactly to get my ideal diamond. So I was picking the best categories. I noticed that most people don't have a big selection when I chose to look at vvs2 or better clarity.

I'm going to goto a local store and have a look to see what to expect.

thanks again for the help,

Darek

Darek, an AGS report would supplant the GIA report (they are both grading labs so a diamond will have a report from one or the other). The appeal of an AGS report is that this lab tests light performance - where the GIA does not. While many fantastic princess cuts go to GIA you're shooting in the dark without some outside proof of performance.

What I tried to say above but didn't communicate clearly is that there are not ideal numbers (no ideal depth and no ideal table) for princess cuts. There are so many variables that all the measurements must be taken together... This is why extra proof of light performance is desirable. Having a grading report from the AGS that awards that diamond 'Ideal' in light performance is one way to do that. If you're looking at diamonds graded by GIA (or other labs) that do not evaluate performance you should insist on some proof of performance in another way.

Regarding clarity, if you are staying with AGS/GIA grading you'll find that most diamonds in the VS range appear identical to the naked eye as VVS and above. In fact, you can find completely eye-clean SI options too. It is not so hard to locate a diamond with top performance - get proof of it - and discuss the proper color/clarity that will maximize size and performance for your budget. There are sellers who will accomodate all of these things for you.