Buying A 1.5 Rock. What Do You Think Of My Choice? Looking For Opinions And Some Answers

taxial

Hey there, my first post. I'm looking for input, opinions, and hopefully answers :rolleyes: .. and I'll try and make this straight to the point...over a long winded email.

My soon to be Wife and I have picked out this ring -

calypsoblack200.jpg

I'm doing my research on Black Zirconium and tensions elsewhere so don't trouble yourself worrying about the rock popping out ^_^ The main detail is the ring is custom and the band will be 8 mm so a 1.4 - 1.8 carat diamond will sits in it well. So the big questions! Diamonds! Wow they are a mouthful eh! Beautiful ... but there just way too many options and a lot of info out there ... I'm hoping some people here can point me in the right direction. We are looking to buy a RB diamond.

Here are the specs of the rocks I'm looking to purchase - my requirements for the rock (*currently) is that

It is at least 1.4 C

It doesn’t have any visible inclusions to any passer by 's eye

It isn't noticeably yellow (this statement is ambiguous so I'll say that it isn't noticeable yellow standing along. It may be a bit yellow when compared to a significantly higher quality diamond).

The girdle of the diamond is between thin - thick (no very thin, or very thick)

And that it's nice and shiny!

So....here are some diamonds I've been looking at.... am I way off?

Diamond #1

Carat Weight 1.72 Color J

Clarity SI1 Depth 62

Table 56 Symmetry G Certificate EGL USA Polish VG

Girdle Thin – Med Culet N Fluorescence N Measurements 7.70-7.76x4.79

Cut Grade Ideal

Diamond #2

Carat Weight 1.5 Color J Clarity I1 Depth 62.4

Table 58 Symmetry Good

Certificate GIA Polish V.good

Girdle MED – STK Culet NON Fluorescence NON

Measurements 7.25-7.31x4.54

Cut Grade Premium

Diamond #3

Stock number: 2059087 Grading Lab: EGL

Carat weight: 1.51 Measurement: 7.31 - 7.37 x 4.57

Cut* Ideal Polish: Very Good

Color: J Symmetry: Excellent

Clarity: VS1 Fluorescence: None

Depth%: 62.3% Girdle: "Medium, Faceted "

Table%: 55% Culet: None

Diamond #4

Stock number: 2113758 Grading Lab: EGL

Carat weight: 1.52 Measurement: 7.20 - 7.13 x 4.63

Cut* Good Polish: Very Good

Color: I Symmetry: Very Good

Clarity: VS2 Fluorescence: None

Depth%: 64.6% Girdle: Thick

Table%: 57% Culet: None

Diamond #5

Stock number: 2063519 Grading Lab: GIA

Carat weight: 1.46 Measurement: 7.26 - 7.23 x 4.49

Cut* Signature Ideal Polish: Excellent

Color: J Symmetry: Very Good

Clarity: SI1 Fluorescence: None

Depth%: 62.0% Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick

Table%: 56% Culet: None

I know...no pictures. Hopefully this is enough to go off for the time being. Big questions in there eh? Couple variance on Color, Clarity, Polish, and the Lab!

So is J really that yellow?

Would a random person off the street be able to tell the difference between a SI1 and a VS2?

If they could see the difference, would a SI1 actually have big visible inclusions or would you have to get really up close and personal to see them.

Would a diamond with a good polish really be that different than a diamond with an excellent polish? Does the polish = the fire? the brilliance?

The lab. What is up with all the Diamonds from EGL being cheaper? I mean can a European Certified Diamond really be all that different than a GIA. I understand that GIA has a name behind them ... but what is the difference? Does anybody reading this have an EGL diamond? Is there anything wrong with it? And what could be wrong with a EGL diamond not to trust it as much....

The 1.72 Carat Diamond at the top of my list is under $7000? - Sounds like a good deal to me? But wait a sec...what's wrong with it?

That's it - I appreciate anybody who has had the time / patience to read through all that. If you have any input - I'd really like to hear it.

Big thanks from Nova Scotia Canada!

~Alex

Nova Scotia huh? I bet you're real happy these days shopping for a diamond with the Canadian dollar being so strong :rolleyes:

If you have any questions on tension rings I have a lot of experience with them and have played a role in designing quite a few custom tension rings as well. I really like your design. Who is the maker of that ring if I may ask? What metal is it to be made in?

So is J really that yellow?
To me it is, yes. I'm very sensitive to color and prefer top white. Others don't really notice much. Put it this way --- if I had to guess, I'd say when mounted, 90% of average people who look at a properly graded J will think it's a nice diamond.

Would a random person off the street be able to tell the difference between a SI1 and a VS2?

Short answer: no.

Would a diamond with a good polish really be that different than a diamond with an excellent polish? Does the polish = the fire? the brilliance?
A properly polished stone does make a difference yes. Not a huge difference, but it is significant. I'd recommend a min. of VG polish.

The lab. What is up with all the Diamonds from EGL being cheaper? I mean can a European Certified Diamond really be all that different than a GIA. I understand that GIA has a name behind them ... but what is the difference? Does anybody reading this have an EGL diamond? Is there anything wrong with it? And what could be wrong with a EGL diamond not to trust it as much....

A properly graded diamond will always cost more. It's your job as the consumer to shop well and make certain the diamond grade is accurate. It should be the job of the merchant to guarantee that grade and stand behind it in some way, but often they are just happy to place the "blame" or liability as it were on the lab instead, except labs are never liable for grading innacuracies. If you're determined to shop based on paper alone, no pictures, not seeing the stone in person, etc, then yes buying an EGL diamond can be a big problem. Buying any diamond that way is a problem, whether GIA, whatever. But more so with EGL-International, especially Israel which is notorious for soft grading. The EGL-USA labs in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver) are actually very good in my opinion and on par with GIA. Of course others will disagree. I actually find Canadian labs in general to be quite fussy, especially on clarity. What passes for SI2 here many times would be graded as I1 in Canada. I'm not saying that as a general rule, but I have been surprised by their grading many times.

Edited by Adylon

Hey there, thanks for your input. To answer you question - It is being made out of Black Zirconium (a metal they use in prosthetics). Pros: Black Zirconium is an extremely durable and highly scratch resistant material that has a high Polish very black finish without the specs that you see in black titanium. Cons: In no way can you resize the ring once it has been made. It's getting created for me by a designer in Montreal. They run a website called absolutetitanium.com

Yup the Canadian dollar is great right now :rolleyes: (though it has dropped significantly over the past little bit). - any advice on the five diamonds I picked from? - I'm still not sure if any of them are good quality (at least on paper ^_^)

Thanks again -

Alex

Taxial,

I have some slightly different answers. They may not be "yes" or "no," but you'll find that color and clarity matters absolutely depend on the specific diamond, the grading lab and to some extent on the observer.

Color: Strictly graded diamonds of best cut can appear very colorless face-up, even in the G-J range. We just had a client purchase a 5ct "I" that visitors often swore was colorless, and several diamond professionals estimated as G when viewed face-up. We have sold many smaller J diamonds that people presumed were colorless face-up. On the other hand I have seen I-J candidates (even strictly graded) that were notably warmer/showed color more than other I-J candidates because they were not as well cut... It's simple optical physics; when light gets in and out of a diamond with more intensity less body color is entrapped.

The bottom line: Every AGS/GIA graded G-J diamond is different. Some face-up far more colorless than others. The better the cut quality the more colorless it will face up.

Clarity: Again it depends on the specific diamond. I have seen AGS/GIA SI1 grades with no eye-visible characteristics and others with an inclusion(s) visible to a normal person at 10 inches or so. The vast majority of VS2 grades I have seen are completely eye-clean but there are rare exceptions. If you asked me about the 'average' SI1 compared to the 'average' VS2 I would say to expect little or no difference but, again, without knowing the specific diamonds involved it's impossible to give a "yes" or "no" answer.

The bottom line: Compare the diamonds, not the paper.

Finish: GIA performed testing and there is no visible difference between VG, EX and Ideal (AGS) polish and symmetry. This is why GIA allows diamonds with VG polish/symmetry into the EX cut grade. AGS is stricter, allowing only Ideal p/s into their top cut grade even though EX/VG are not visually different. This draws criticism from some quarters and approval from others. Polish has no bearing on light performance qualities, except in low grades where it could interfere.

The bottom line: VG+ and you're all good.

Lab grading: AGS & GIA have earned the reputation for strictness and consistency that they enjoy. Some EGL graded diamonds (EGL USA in particular) are graded stronger than others, but there is a broad lack of consistency. This has hurt their reputation, to the point where a grade or two of difference is expected - and pricing reflects that. Our experience: We only carry GIA & AGS graded diamonds in our inventory. In the past, when a client was interested in a diamond off our premises we would consider EGL diamonds...but we will not sell a diamond without bringing it here for analysis and over the years we wound up rejecting EGL stones again and again because they did not live up to our standards. We are therefore reluctant to source them for clients - and when we do it's with the express understanding that our normal buy-back and lifetime trade-up guarantee will not apply. This does not mean they are "bad," it just means that you can't count on the grading report's description. That's a pretty big deal in the sight-unseen internet market.

The diamonds listed: We can't give you more unless you give us more... If you have full measurements including crown & pavilion angles, minor facet %, etc. we can place a diamond in a certain class, but the numbers only go so far. Much more meaningful would be something demonstrating light performance such as an ideal-scope or ASET photo, or other performance indicator.

I'm fond of saying that having all the measurements is like getting a description of a blind date. Seeing actual photos and performance images is like seeing still photos of her... So far so good, but the only way to know if she lives up to the advertised descriptions and images is to get some quality time with her... Live examination and inspection. :)

Hope some of this is helpful.

Edited by JohnQuixote