Why Local Jewelry Stores Hate/fear The Internet

DiamondMaven

Guys,

I feel the need to vent a bit, so please bear with me :rolleyes:

A customer sent us an e-mail yesterday requesting a full work up on a diamond he was interested in.

We sent all of the information to the customer.

Customer replies that he is very interested in this beautiful diamond, however can I please allay his fears with respect to something he just heard from his local jeweler with whom he is contemplating purchasing the ring setting.

This jeweler told the customer to "beware of Internet based jewelers and sellers" since "most of them are selling diamonds that have been tampered with, laser drilled, or fracture filled, to remove imperfections etc."

Can you believe this??!!

The nerve to take a paint brush and conveniently and falsely impugn the integrity of "most Internet based websites" in such a fashion?

Of course, I directed the customer to our transparent and clearly stated policies which indicates that under no circumstances do we sell diamonds that have been altered or tampered with.

I asked the customer whether this very same jeweler also offers a clearly stated and advertsied policy with respect to these kinds of diamonds??

It is so very unfortunate when jewelers who cannot/do not wish to compete honestly for a customers business will resort to these kinds of tactics.

So why do they fear the Internet so much?

This blog entry I wrote some time ago might explain it.

Does this mean that there is no room in 2008 for a jewelry store to make an honest living and appeal to a consumer?

Of course not.

Assuredly, there is tremendous value and many benefits to the B&M shopping experience.

In fact, it is for this very reason that I cannot fathom why B&M jewelers would have to resort to these kinds of scare tactics and fear mongering in order to make sales??

My two cents.

Edited by DiamondMaven

Thank you soooo much Judah.

If I hear "Every diamond on eBay is crap" again, I'll bang my head against the wall.

Wait, that would be stupid.....

Suffice it to say, I agree- many people do use too broad a brush about the internet - in fact, there's good and bad everywhere.

Another one that gets my goat:

A consumer looking for a $4000 one carat diamond is told by a jeweler that they cost $6000.

When the customer asks about J color- the store tells them" Don;t look at a J, you don;t want a piece or crap like that"

This jeweler told the customer to "beware of Internet based jewelers and sellers" since "most of them are selling diamonds that have been tampered with, laser drilled, or fracture filled, to remove imperfections etc."

Can you believe this??!!

The nerve to take a paint brush and conveniently and falsely impugn the integrity of "most Internet based websites" in such a fashion?...

We can believe it. We hear this stuff on a regular basis. Fortunately I have the pleasure of interacting with a number of responsible and professional B&M jewelers who are nothing like this. Sure we’re competitors but we recognize that there is enough business for all of us.

Good companies, whether internet, B&M or ‘brick & click’ build themselves by strengthening their own products & services internally - not by painting outsiders with a bad brush.

That trait has adolescent social roots. I instructed high school for 15 years and conduct student leadership workshops to this day. The practice of criticizing those you fear or don’t know is something I call “chopping someone else’s head off to make yourself feel taller.†It’s a common practice among adolescent ‘cliques’ and, for those who never recognize and arrest it in themselves, it can continue into adulthood. It’s also reinforced by the ‘wolf-pack’ mentality: Peers see each other doing it and feel it’s justified... It's not. :rolleyes:

Edited by JohnQuixote

David, John,

Thanks.

John,

Great line re: chopping off the head of another person as a way of feeling taller.

I heard it this way: "There are two ways to grow; you can climb a ladder, or dig a trench around you."

Some of these guys are so used to "digging trenches" they ought to be in construction... :rolleyes:

I believe it, I've heard it many times as well. It's playing the numbers game just like some sellers do on ebay except in the store. Like the worst sellers on ebay who lie about their goods and just hope you'll believe it and buy it. And if 50% return it, then that just means they were able to sell the other 50% suckers. Same with these offline sellers.... if they go telling every customer who walks in their door that everyone online is a theif and 50% believe it, then what do they care what the other 50% think?

It's a horrible thing, there are bad sellers both offline and online playing these numbers games. A legit dealer will treat every customer with respect and tell them the truth and just try to offer a premium product, at a fair price, with good service. But apparently that's too much to ask from a lot of dealers out there who are not interested in working hard for a living and are just happy to catch as many fish as they can using shadey tactics.