Got Diamond Questions?
Our community of diamond experts are here to provide answers
Sign in to follow this  
monsterbash

Can A Diamond Be Re-cut?

Hello All..

I thought i'd stop back and give you thr results.

I'm starting to see why all the 'Brick and Morters' are slamming the online places. They (the B&Ms) are SOOO overpriced it rediculous. I did receive the ring...a week later I sold it to a B&M for $6250 (It would have been a 3k profit except I had to pay sales tax fro the guy I bought it from). The B&M flat out told me he was selling back to his wholesaler. So basicly I sold a diamond to a jewler (at a 3k profit) who sold it to a wholesaler (no idea how much) who intern will sell it to another jewler..who intern will sell it retail and in this process..EVERYONE is making cash

No wonder I had you guys telling my 'whatever you do.. DON'T send the cash!'

I have sence purchased 2 more rings (ALOT smaller) and made a nice little profit on each one

Good luck to all in your business..my little side business is going quite nicely

Ha ha ha, good one!

Seriously, it's such a good plan, you should do it with bridges instead of diamonds. You can start with the Brooklyn Bridge.

Hello All..

I'm starting to see why all the 'Brick and Morters' are slamming the online places. They (the B&Ms) are SOOO overpriced it rediculous. I did receive the ring...a week later I sold it to a B&M for $6250 (It would have been a 3k profit except I had to pay sales tax fro the guy I bought it from). The B&M flat out told me he was selling back to his wholesaler. So basicly I sold a diamond to a jewler (at a 3k profit) who sold it to a wholesaler (no idea how much) who intern will sell it to another jewler..who intern will sell it retail and in this process..EVERYONE is making cash

I have sence purchased 2 more rings (ALOT smaller) and made a nice little profit on each one

Good luck to all in your business..my little side business is going quite nicely

So what you're telling us is, there are some people selling on ebay, who take the time to list their merchandise for sale, take the time and expense to set the stone in a ring, pay the ebay fees, pay the paypal fees, wait for the customer to send payment, take a chance there could be fraud/chargeback of that payment, ship the diamond and all that headache when they could just walk into a diamond dealers office and get paid double in cash on the spot?

Oh and this seller on ebay apparently has no clue what he's selling that is potentially worth double and doesn't mind losing all this money and all this wasted effort on a daily basis potentially losing hundreds of thousands of dollars a month all as some public service to the ebay community?

You really expect people to believe this?

Yosef Adde

Adylon.com - Diamonds & Bridal Jewelry (Burbank, CA)

http://www.adylon.com

Hello All..

Question to all the Professional Diamond Dealers on this site:

Somebody did mention that the stone in question was a CE (Clarity Enhanced) one.

Would monsterbash be able to pull off what he described above IF the buyer of the stone was unaware that the diamond was a CE one?

Bernard

I suppose the if someone could find a jewelry store, or jewelry buyer, that was both successful enough to buy a diamond, and ignorant enough to buy one that was clarity enhanced, anything is possible. But that's a lot of big ifs. There are ripoff artists out there, and you just really need to be careful if you're in business.

Besides, it overlooks the point that the essence of the post you quoted totally ridiculous and not possible.

I suppose the if someone could find a jewelry store, or jewelry buyer, that was both successful enough to buy a diamond, and ignorant enough to buy one that was clarity enhanced, anything is possible. But that's a lot of big ifs. There are ripoff artists out there, and you just really need to be careful if you're in business.

Besides, it overlooks the point that the essence of the post you quoted totally ridiculous and not possible.

Hi David,

always figured monsterbash's plan to be almost impossible from a practical standpoint. Just wanted to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

Is it easy to tell CE stones from untreated ones?

Bernard

Clarity enhancement is pretty easy to spot with a little bit of practice, especially for larger stones. In small stones, say under 0.05cts that are mounted it can get a little tricky.

It is, of course, conceivable that there’s some jeweler out there with $6000 in his pocket that can’t tell the difference or who simply made a stupid mistake but I wouldn’t expect them to remain in business long if they make a habit of this so repeat transactions would seem unlikely. I would equate Monster’s scenario as similar to looking for Picasso’s at garage sales. It can happen, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Neil

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

There's never a crowd when you go that extra mile.

Professional Appraisals in Denver

Maybe I watch too much "Law and Order", but let's take a hypothetical situation. Say, a seller of diamonds wanted to advertise themselves on the forum. In this hypothetical situation, this hypothetical seller poses as a consumer, who then mentions that sellers name and says "wow. I got such a great deal at Joe Schmoe of diamonds"

In this hypothetical situation, the seller might feel the this would represent well on him.

Of course that does not seem to be the case here. The claims made here are so outrageous they could never make anyone look good.

Because the likelihood buying a diamond on eBay, and then going into a jewelry store and doubling your money selling it back to a jeweler, is kind of like Neil's example. The only thing I would change is that instead of it being like finding a Picasso painting at a garage sale, it would be as if you could find Picasso himself doing a painting at a garage sale.

Maybe I watch too much "Law and Order", but let's take a hypothetical situation. Say, a seller of diamonds wanted to advertise themselves on the forum. In this hypothetical situation, this hypothetical seller poses as a consumer, who then mentions that sellers name and says "wow. I got such a great deal at Joe Schmoe of diamonds"

In this hypothetical situation, the seller might feel the this would represent well on him.

Hi David,

thanks for the reply.

Frankly, I had the same suspicions of the original poster. Don't know if it's right though....

Bernard

P.S. : Thanks to Neil for the reply too.

DiamondsbyLauren, you have some nerve to attack me and my business.

I clearly describe my pink diamonds as color treated.

I am not competing directly with you, but apparently you seem threatened by me.

I am a leader in clarity enhanced diamonds, and color treated diamonds.

I am offering customers who cant offer the natural pinks to purchase an affordable REAL diamond that is color treated.

If you have issues with something I do, feel free to contact me, but please dont bash me falsely to the public.

Good luck to you,

Abe

www.ajdiamonds.com

Hi David,

always figured monsterbash's plan to be almost impossible from a practical standpoint. Just wanted to give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

Is it easy to tell CE stones from untreated ones?

Bernard

Hi Neil,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts.

Keep up the good work.

We clearly describe all of our diamonds as enhanced.

All the best,

Abe

www.ajdiamonds.com

HiMonster- I wish you the best.

My company sells millions a year on eBay- but there are a lot of really bad sellers. It is possible to find really good sellers on eBay but there's some pitfalls buyers need to steer clear of.

Please check my eBay feedback- 0 negative, 0 neutral, and 0 withdrawn feedbacks. A neutral is really a soft negative- it's a very bad thing.

One thing you have missed: Withdrawn feedback. You can see this directly below the sellers feedback rating. It's a problem eBay really needs to fix.

What happens is this: The seller is misrepresenting- or doing something else that causes the buyer to leave a negative feedback.

Lo and behold these bad sellers then hold the refund hostage until the buyer withdraws the feedback

This indicates horrible business practices.

How about blatent misrepresentation?

I mean , this seller is so out of bounds in his descriptions it makes it very easy to see that there's misrepresentation.

A "4.00 Fancy Vivid Pink" diamond for $7000?.

I've got a really nice bridge for sale too.......

Another RED FLAG:

How about these $1 no reserve "auctions" on expensive diamonds.

You'll notice however, that all the bidders identities are kept private...why is that? Well, if one wanted to bid up their own auctions they'd need to hide bidder's identities- I can think of NO other reason- and again- we've been selling millions a year on eBay since 1999.

Another thing that would do is make it appear the seller had sold over 5700 items when in fact maybe they'd sold a small fraction of that number.

My advice- DO NOT SEND MONEY.

So nice of you to attack me.

Our 4.00 ct fancy Vivid Pink diamond ring is clearly labeled as a color treated pink diamond.

Since we specialize in clarity enhanced stones, there is no deception here.

We can offer a ring like this for $7000 to someone who wants a pink looking diamond, but cant spend $50,000.

Regarding your rediculous accusations about the identities being kept private, you are way off base.

We need to protect our customers from other ebay sellers, and from the hundreds of fradulent emails that go through ebay system. If we kept id's public, our customers would get numerous scam emails of people pretending to be us.

Why would we want our ebay competitors to see who bids on our auctions and what price they get...so those sellers can come by and steal the customers from us?

If you have any further issues regarding how I run my business, please feel free to email me directly and to not attack me publicly with false information.

Thank you,

Abe

www.ajdiamonds.com

Hi All,

There's no need for private emails- let's discuss representation of diamonds in public- I've nothing to hide.

It took less than one minute of looking in your eBay store to find this gem

1.65 CT *REAL PINK DIAMOND* RING- AVAILABLE HERE ONLY!
Above is a title of this eBay listing.

Here's the heading- LARGE Letters

CERTIFIED $11,800 1.65 CT PINK SI1 DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING

Do you have someone willing to pay you $11,800 for this item?

Let's keep going...next it's described like so

1.00 CT VIVID FANCY PINK CENTER DIAMOND

NATURAL SI1 CLARITY

Vivid pink,...really?

Have you ever seen a Natural Vivid Pink Diamond?

The photo you posted looks NOTHING like a vivid pink diamond.

Let's continue on down the description

OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE. WHEN YOU PURCHASE DIAMONDS FOR US, THE END RESULT WILL ALWAYS BE 100% SATISFACTION! THIS NATURAL CENTER DIAMOND IS A ROUND CUT THAT WEIGHS 1.00 CT AND WAS INDEPENDENTLY CERTIFIED AS VIVID FANCY PINK COLOR AND SI1 NATURAL CLARITY , SIDE PRINCESS CUT DIAMONDS ARE .65 CTW WITH F COLOR AND SI CLARITY.DIAMONDS ARE SET IN 14K WHITE RING.

So far you've referred to it as "real" "certified" and "Natural"

You claim how the diamond is "INDEPENDENTLY CERTIFIED AS VIVID FANCY PINK COLOR"

Finally, all the way at the bottom of the description is mentions that you are selling "VIVID FANCY PINK (enhanced)"

You are trying so hard to call it "Natural", "Certified" "Real" - the word "enhanced" is almost an afterthought.

The fact that you finally mention the word "enhanced" after so many attempts to deceive the reader is really a poor excuse for such obvious attempts to mislead the reader.

Hi All,

There's no need for private emails- let's discuss representation of diamonds in public- I've nothing to hide.

It took less than one minute of looking in your eBay store to find this gem

1.65 CT *REAL PINK DIAMOND* RING- AVAILABLE HERE ONLY!
Above is a title of this eBay listing.

Here's the heading- LARGE Letters

CERTIFIED $11,800 1.65 CT PINK SI1 DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING

Do you have someone willing to pay you $11,800 for this item?

Let's keep going...next it's described like so

1.00 CT VIVID FANCY PINK CENTER DIAMOND

NATURAL SI1 CLARITY

Vivid pink,...really?

Have you ever seen a Natural Vivid Pink Diamond?

The photo you posted looks NOTHING like a vivid pink diamond.

Let's continue on down the description

OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE. WHEN YOU PURCHASE DIAMONDS FOR US, THE END RESULT WILL ALWAYS BE 100% SATISFACTION! THIS NATURAL CENTER DIAMOND IS A ROUND CUT THAT WEIGHS 1.00 CT AND WAS INDEPENDENTLY CERTIFIED AS VIVID FANCY PINK COLOR AND SI1 NATURAL CLARITY , SIDE PRINCESS CUT DIAMONDS ARE .65 CTW WITH F COLOR AND SI CLARITY.DIAMONDS ARE SET IN 14K WHITE RING.

So far you've referred to it as "real" "certified" and "Natural"

You claim how the diamond is "INDEPENDENTLY CERTIFIED AS VIVID FANCY PINK COLOR"

Finally, all the way at the bottom of the description is mentions that you are selling "VIVID FANCY PINK (enhanced)"

You are trying so hard to call it "Natural", "Certified" "Real" - the word "enhanced" is almost an afterthought.

The fact that you finally mention the word "enhanced" after so many attempts to deceive the reader is really a poor excuse for such obvious attempts to mislead the reader.

Thank you for replying.

I do not hide anything nor am I trying to deceive anyone.

I will take a close look at all your points to make sure I am not mislead anyone.

I have never had any of my 10,000 customers accuse me of misleading them regarding an enhanced diamond or color treatment.

I will however keep an open mind and make sure nothing is misleading.

Will also take a few minutes to respond to your comments later on.

I am sorry you feel so threatened by my honest business. I am going after a much different audience than you.

Be back soon,

Abe

ajdiamonds.com

www.ajdiamonds.com

Regarding your rediculous accusations about the identities being kept private, you are way off base.

We need to protect our customers from other ebay sellers, and from the hundreds of fradulent emails that go through ebay system. If we kept id's public, our customers would get numerous scam emails of people pretending to be us.

Why would we want our ebay competitors to see who bids on our auctions and what price they get...so those sellers can come by and steal the customers from us?

We've been selling on eBay since 2000 or so.

We 've sold many millions of dollars- no enhanced stuff, only fine jewelry.

In that time we've NEVER had a complaint by any buyer about fraudulent emails, or allowing their identity to be seen. Not one. Ever.

Isn't the whole point of eBay that everyone can see what's going on?

I would really like to understnad this need for hiding identities.

Are you afraid someone might poach a bidder offering $10 for a "D" color 1.00 princess cut?

That makes no sense at all- who would want to approach that buyer?

By the way, I am not at all threatened by sellers who act this way.

I just feel that it's a horrible refelection on what I do as my life's work.

I don't generally agree with David.... :( ... But he's 100% correct here. Yes, legally you're covering your ass and telling people it's enhanced. But there's two ways to do this... you can take the high road or you can take the shady road, and you've chosen the latter.

Why the overpriced appraisal value?

Why the constant use of the words natural and real when you know this is not the natural nor real color? If you're going to say it's a naturally mined diamond why not say it's also enhanced in the same sentence? Like This "Natural Enhanced Pink Color Diamond is bla bla bla" Or why not use the term enhanced in the title? Or the description above? Or why not explain how it was enhanced, what an enhanced color really is and how it compares to a natural color?

Everything in the ebay ad seems intentionally very deceptive and just by adding the word enhanced... finally.... all the way at the bottom of the page without any further explaination at all is not befitting of a reputable jeweler.

Yosef

Edited by Adylon

Yosef Adde

We've been selling on eBay since 2000 or so.

We 've sold many millions of dollars- no enhanced stuff, only fine jewelry.

In that time we've NEVER had a complaint by any buyer about fraudulent emails, or allowing their identity to be seen. Not one. Ever.

Isn't the whole point of eBay that everyone can see what's going on?

I would really like to understnad this need for hiding identities.

Are you afraid someone might poach a bidder offering $10 for a "D" color 1.00 princess cut?

That makes no sense at all- who would want to approach that buyer?

By the way, I am not at all threatened by sellers who act this way.

I just feel that it's a horrible refelection on what I do as my life's work.

Your negative sarcasm is uncalled for.

Again, my customers are different than yours, you should not be so close minded.

I am so glad you sell billions of dollars through ebay and need to brag about it on the boards.

My $1 no reserve auctions attract a different clientele than yours.

They sometimes are "newbies" and novice ebay members, and can easily be decieved by fake emails and fake second chance offers.

And yes, fake second chance offers have happened to many of my customers, and in fact some fell victim to an unfortunate western union scam 2 years back.

And dont tell me you dont receive email spam from "phishing" where they pretend they are ebay or paypal trying to steal your password.

I get at least 5 of those a day, can you imagine a newbie customer getting that?

What about my competitors? I should let them see every diamond I sold for what price and to who, so they can just spend a few hours a day contacting my loyal customers and trying to steal them?

No thanks,

Any other complaints, as it seems thats what you do all day long?

Abe

www.ajdiamonds.com

I don't generally agree with David.... :( ... But he's 100% correct here. Yes, legally you're covering your ass and telling people it's enhanced. But there's two ways to do this... you can take the high road or you can take the shady road, and you've chosen the latter.

Why the overpriced appraisal value?

Why the constant use of the words natural and real when you know this is not the natural nor real color? If you're going to say it's a naturally mined diamond why not say it's also enhanced in the same sentence? Like This "Natural Enhanced Pink Color Diamond is bla bla bla" Or why not use the term enhanced in the title? Or the description above? Or why not explain how it was enhanced, what an enhanced color really is and how it compares to a natural color?

Everything in the ebay ad seems intentionally very deceptive and just by adding the word enhanced... finally.... all the way at the bottom of the page without any further explaination at all is not befitting of a reputable jeweler.

Yosef

Hi Yosef,

A fair comment, and I am not trying to take the "shady road".

I will take a look at your comments and diamondsbylauren and see if there is something I can do to make this 100% accurate.

Abe

ajdiamonds

www.ajdiamonds.com

They sometimes are "newbies" and novice ebay members, and can easily be decieved by fake emails and fake second chance offers.

Abe, may I ask you a question? If you know this to be the case and that most of your customers are novice/newbies who can be easily decieved.... Why not educate them to how the diamond has been enhanced, what enhanced diamonds are, how this differs from a non-enhanced stone, etc? Such as are the treatments permanent... and if they have to disclose the treatment to any jeweler who may work on the ring, etc.

Why not give them full disclosure and be less deceptive in your own auction listing if you acknowledge that these bidders are not too diamond savvy to begin with?

Yosef

Yosef Adde

Hi Yosef,

A fair comment, and I am not trying to take the "shady road".

I will take a look at your comments and diamondsbylauren and see if there is something I can do to make this 100% accurate.

Abe

ajdiamonds

Fair enough, best of luck :(

Yosef Adde

Abe, may I ask you a question? If you know this to be the case and that most of your customers are novice/newbies who can be easily decieved.... Why not educate them to how the diamond has been enhanced, what enhanced diamonds are, how this differs from a non-enhanced stone, etc? Such as are the treatments permanent... and if they have to disclose the treatment to any jeweler who may work on the ring, etc.

Why not give them full disclosure and be less deceptive in your own auction listing if you acknowledge that these bidders are not too diamond savvy to begin with?

Yosef

Hi,

My agreements were in regards to my pink color treated.

with regards to the clarity enhanced diamonds, it is plastered all over my ebay pages they are enhanced.

Firstly, I am now advertising we are #1 enhanced dealer.

Secondly, there is now a category for enhanced diamonds, and unlike other sellers, i always put my diamonds in the proper category.

There is also a subcateogry which states enhanced natural, and anywhere I describe clarity, the word enhanced follows it.

I used to have a live link "click here to learn more about enhanced diamonds" on every auction.

Some still have it and some dont, with a new html. I agree it should be up there, and actually would be beneficial to me as well, because I receive a million emails asking about it.

Anyways, thanks for your comments.

And nice website, by the way!

Abe

www.ajdiamonds.com

Best of luck Abe.

Making it accurate would have been so easy right from the start.

In addition to the excellent suggestions of Yosef, here's some more specific suggestions:

Use the term "Color Enhanced" each and every time you use the term "Pink Diamond"

Do not imply your items are worth exponentially more than you are selling them for ( This $2500 ring appraised for $11,500, that kind of thing)

Stop using the term "Vivid" so loosely- it really has a meaning.

It is your right to participate on eBay, run private auctions, and hide things from competitors- and shoppers.

I still don't buy the protection part of your answer.

Anyone who has email gets spam- eBay user or not.

I thank Yosef for his well spoken comments- and apologize if you are offended by my anger.

I am truly offended by what I see as blatant omission of words- and use of other words to falsely describe diamonds- because it is how I make my living.

A diamond does not change the world- but honest fair dealing is very important to me.

Abe,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not much of an ebay seller but I buy things there fairly regularly and I’ve never observed the problem you are worried about where I’ve been contacted by some 3rd party trying to sell me something based on an ebay purchase. I suppose it may be that I buy sort of specialized things and this may make a difference but you may want to run a test with a few items to see what happens. As I'm sure you know, there are some new ebay rules and it seems to now be impossible to contact anyone other than the winning bidder in any case so bogus 2nd chance offers are no longer even an option.. I agree with the above comments that ‘private’ auctions have a sleezy feel to them and I avoid bidding on these auctions because of it.

I also agree with Yosef that the 'free' appraisals not only aren’t helping your case but they are harmful to your customers if they submit one to an insurance company, something you specifically encourage them to do on your website. I, of course, understand that the objective is to convince people that they’re getting a bargain and that this is part of your advertising strategy but what you are providing is a lie and it's damaging to your customers because it drives up their insurance rates while giving them no additional value in terms of coverage for it. Definitely a giant step down that 'shady road'. Isn’t there a better way to talk up the benefits of your merchandise and your store than by asking people to rely on information that you know to be misleading?

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Abe,

Here are some suggestions on how to take that high road.

#1 Have the stones graded by a recognized lab. The big guys won’t do it for a variety of good reasons but others will. EGL-USA comes to mind. They do pretty good work, quickly and are well recognized as an authority on CE and HPHT treated diamonds. Assuming you have the opportunity, it is MUCH better to have the stones graded loose and avoid the services where a value is included for exactly the reasons that I'm criticizing your current lab. What you want is a grading report, not an appraisal.

#2 Explain your grading scales. You can use this as a feature rather than a disclaimer but confusion surrounding how CE stones are graded is huge. Do it in both your ebay ads and in the education section of your website. Explain what makes YOUR treated diamonds better than your numerous competitors. What you’ve got there is some generic falderal about the GIA grading scale which doesn’t even apply to most of what you sell. Making yourself the ones who are clear about what SI1-CE means and how customers can shop one CE stone against another will do wonders for your business and making your education section a resource for shoppers in a very unfamiliar situation instead of either superficial fluff or an overt advertisement for you will increase your traffic considerably. I promise. Good web content is a fair amount of work but it's not insurmountable and the payoff is considerable. Collaborate with your lab on this. If you are already the #1 seller, this is the way to solidify your position. It doesn't have to be a race to the bottom. Customers can and do compare dealers and go with the one that they find the most trustworthy and more often than not will make the right decision if you just give them the facts. Let the other guys play games and you take the position of the most transparent seller. It shouldn't be all that hard. You do have a few pretty good competitors in the enhanced diamond business but the bulk are shameless. Use terms precisely. As David points out, 'vivid' has a definite meaning in the diamond world and both you and your appraiser are abusing it badly.

#3 ‘Appraise’ it yourself. That’s effectively what you’re doing anyway. The place you are using is NOT independent, they are a subcontractor working for YOU. Their work is filtered through you as the client and if they piss you off it will cost them a major client. That’s ok for what it is and I have no idea if she’s a qualified grader or not but this document is a seller supplied statement of important facts, things like stone weights, ring size, metal content etc. This is all useful information but to describe it as ‘independent’ is terribly deceptive and by including an unexplained 'retail' value it undermines both her and your credibility. By all means contract out the work to someone else if you want to but this service is no more ‘independent’ than your caster or setter are.

#4 Use the sales price as the value conclusion on your appraisals. I’m sure this is contrary to your purpose of including the appraisal but I’m suggesting you change your purpose. Provide something that’s in the best interest of your customer instead of just something that helps your sales. As I presume you know, most insurance companies will NOT pay cash on jewelry claims. Instead they use the description in the appraisal document submitted by the insured at the beginning as a purchase order for the replacement. They use a variety of sources for replacement depending on the company that will range from supplying from a company owned store to contacting the original seller. The big insurers enjoy significant buying power and they hire full time professional shoppers for this. They really do know what things cost. If you aren’t already a replacement service for the big insurers, you should be because they’re really darned good customers. You would be nuts to charge them more than you charge everyone else so for the vast majority of items, the amount you would charge to replace it is about the same as the amount you are charging for the original sale. It’s an important concept because the premium charged is a direct percentage of the appraisal value presented. If someone buys a ring for $2000 that can be replaced for $2000 and submits an $11,000 ‘appraisal’, the premium will be based on that $11,000 number. The behavior in the case of a loss will remain unchanged, the only difference will be that they will pay more than 5x the insurance premiums for the same coverage. Of course the insurance companies agree to this, what’s in it for them not to like? They aren’t the ones who are being screwed, it’s the consumer who comes up short. Since 95% of the people never file a claim at all, 95% are never aware of the problem and the other 5% discover it far long after they’ve provided you with a positive feedback. There’s big money at stake here. In the above example, the insurance will cost about $160/year and, if properly documented would be more like $30/year. That’s $130/year for the rest of their life for which they get NOTHING!

#5 Encourage them to hire and use their own appraiser if they uncomfortable with your documents or if they want ‘proof’ of your bargains instead of discouraging it by including a supposedly 'free' appraisal. This does leave you exposed to the problem of people hiring idiot appraisers but, in practice, you already have this exposure and, if anything, you increase it by providing documents that are misleading. Every single day I see a customer who has bought something where they received an ‘appraisal’ from the seller that gave an inflated number and that caused them to second guess everything they were told in the sale. People that otherwise wouldn’t have hired me decide that they need to now because now they have seeds of distrust for the vendor. If they hire a fool or a jeweler who unfairly disparages your goods, so be it, take the return with a smile. You already agree to accept a return for any reason anyway so it’s not like you are increasing your risks and you still have the opportunity to sell it to someone else who will be happier with it even if it does come back. At the same time, the act of encouraging the use of 3rd party, truly independent appraisers you are increasing your own credibility at zero cost to you. Failing those seeds of distrust, 95% of your client’s aren’t going to do it anyway for the simple reason that we charge for our services and, if you’ve followed my advice above they have no insurance need to fill. There’s incredibly little downside to you even if they hire the most incompetent of appraisers and if they hire a good one, and what you've told them is the truth, then it can do nothing but make you look good.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

Neil Beaty

GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Abe,

Welcome to the forum.

Neither I nor anyone else here wants to discourage your participation, but it looks like you are in violation of a good number of our Forum Rules. Please take a moment now to read them, familiarize yourself with them, and abide by them. Just scroll down to the bottom of any page, and click on the link labeled "Forum Rules". I also sent you a private message so we can work out the issue of your screen name -- the Forum Rules clearly state that the name of a business cannot be part of your screen name.

Thanks

Hermann

Thanks for having this forum Hermann- I would never discourage Abe from explaining how in the world these misleading terms appear all over his listings.

I believe it's important to correct these misleading statements in short order. AS of yet, nothing has been done to correct the first one I linked to- in addition pretty much every color treated stone Abe is offering is similarly misrepresented.

It may be that this type of thing is far more important to many of the readers than it is to Abe......