Feather In The Diamond

ensmiles

I found a beautiful diamond that I would love to get; actually, not me but my boyfriend. He assigned me the task of looking for the ring that I would be happy with for a long time since I'm very particular and I love to do this. I've already learned so much. The cut and proportions were perfect and it sparkled like crazy. The diamond I looked at today had two red lines on the EGL report that I believe to be a feather. The flaw: looking at it under 10x magnification, I could hardly see it (but probably because my eyes are too untrained). I wasn't sure if it was close to the girdle and that crack would cause a problem in the future. How do I get it verified? Specs are D, SI1, 1.5, 60%, 63.2%, VG/VG, no fluoresence or culet, girdle is slightly thick. O'yeah, one last thing, 2-carats. :D

I've attached the EGL report. I'd love to get it if I know in someway that it has very little chance of cracking it into two 1-carats.

post-114306-1196470093_thumb.jpg

No, the feather on the girdle won't cause you a durability risk. It takes a huge amount to crack a diamond in half like you describe. The usual durability risk is chipping on the edges and this is largely eliminated in this stone by the slightly thick girdle. There is always a tiny chance that you can damage any stone but this risk would be covered by a typical insurance policy and I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. It sounds like you found one you love. Congratulations.

Neil

Hi,

I agree with Neil that a small feather near the girdle is highly uinlikely to create a danger from cracking.

One things I CAN say for sure- a Non GIA report for a diamond is the importance you're looking at is a HUGE problem.

It's one thing to consider a lower quality without a GIA report- BUT a 2.00 D/SI1 without a GIA report is surely a red flag.

Have you leaned about the differences in gem labs?

NO dealer is going to look at a D/SI2 graded by EGL as being worth anywhere near a legitimately ( GIA) graded D/SI1.

What concerns me most is that the seller knows this ( unless they arenot in the diamond biz) - are they telling you this?

• 8 months later...

Hey guys

Im not a gemologist (yet) or anything like that but I have been researching diamonds for over 3 years now & know & understand enough to give my opinion. They are my passion!

I totally agree that all diamonds should be accompanied with a GIA certficate. The GIA standards are recognized world-wide and you can be guaranteed that what you see is what you get.

If you are after a larger diamond( (like myself) please log onto bluenile.com and check out this site. It's American based, very secure & safe. All diamonds on Bluenile.com are accopamied with GIA certificates. I have never come across such competetive prices like Bluenile offers. Trust me, you will definitely find your dream stone there.

I am so impressed with the prices on Bluenile I am working on a business plan to start a consulting diamond business in Australia that offers couples great diamonds at affordable prices (as every girl dreams of having a nice ROCK).

Best of luck:)

Hey guys

Im not a gemologist (yet) or anything like that but I have been researching diamonds for over 3 years now & know & understand enough to give my opinion. They are my passion!

I totally agree that all diamonds should be accompanied with a GIA certficate. The GIA standards are recognized world-wide and you can be guaranteed that what you see is what you get.

If you are after a larger diamond( (like myself) please log onto bluenile.com and check out this site. It's American based, very secure & safe. All diamonds on Bluenile.com are accopamied with GIA certificates. I have never come across such competetive prices like Bluenile offers. Trust me, you will definitely find your dream stone there.

I am so impressed with the prices on Bluenile I am working on a business plan to start a consulting diamond business in Australia that offers couples great diamonds at affordable prices (as every girl dreams of having a nice ROCK).

Best of luck:)

;):(:rolleyes:

It all depends. On you and on the diamond. I would not buy something that size/spec - and presumably price - without a GIA or AGS report, because the risk of paying for something that I'm not buying is too large for me. If you have a thriving diamond business then you may trust your experience a little more, but even then you'd probably look for a discount.

Is it really necessary to have certificate before you buy the diamond??

You tell me. It’s not the paper or even directly the grading that makes a beautiful diamond beautiful but it can have a huge affect on the price. A single grade difference in clarity and color of a stone in that size range will affect the price by as much as $2000/carat. For most of us that’s quite a bit of money. This is why the lab services are useful. It answers several of the key questions that nearly everyone asks and for which the seller and his lackies have a seriously vested interest in pushing the truth. GIA’s fee for resolving this grading question on a 2 carat stone is $154. Is it worth it?

Neil