Radiant Star From Helzburg

MrP

Yea!, this is my first post to this very interesting forum. I am looking for an engagement ring and didn't see any commentary on the Radiant Star cut line of diamonds from Helzburg. Seems impressive with 145 facets, but it seems like they're trying to hide inclusions. I does seem to sparkle and catch the light very nicely, however. Any general or specific thoughts on this? Thank you!

1.48cwt

Color I

Clarity I1

IGI certified (I think)

Good/Good

An impressive GemEx report

~$9800

To be quite honest, I don't care how good the gemex report is or the proprietary cutting.... $9800 for a <1.5ct I1/I of any shape/cut is very high if you ask me.... and that assumes the grading to be accurate. I'd be careful with an IGI graded stone... they are a legit lab to some extent, but I'd be more cautious if purchasing one as a consumer vs other labs. If you really like it and the flaws/color don't bother you, I'd try to negotiate a better price.. something in the $6-7k range seems fair for both parties.

Best of luck.

• 2 months later...

The Radiant Star Dimond is honestly a great Dimaond.

As far as the additional Facets hiding inclusions, take a look for yourself, every Helzberg I have been to has a gem scope right there in the store. Put it under there and find out.

And the Certification....IGI is a reputable grading authority. The GIA wil not grade any "fancy" cut diamonds. With all if the extra facets it is considerd a "fancy cut". The Gemx grading really shows how much light is going to be given off by the diamond, which isis awesome if you want a diamond that is going to sparkle alot! There could be less reputable companys grading it like the EGA that most places in the mall will use (diamonds that are SI in the EGA, usually grade at I with the GIA or IGI)

The price is up there but you will pay a bit more for the extra facets, but so worth it for the extra sparkle...

Another great idea if you are worried about color, cut, and clarity.....the Masterpiece Collection at Helzberg...really awesome Diamonds!!!!!!!!!!

Kegibson,

Welcome to the forum. I apologize for disagreeing with you on your very first post but there are a couple of corrections that I think are important.

The GIA wil not grade any "fancy" cut diamonds. With all if the extra facets it is considerd a "fancy cut".

GIA will grade any non-filled diamond that's submitted. Facet pattern has nothing to do with it. Lots of fancy cuts have GIA paperwork.

The price is up there but you will pay a bit more for the extra facets, but so worth it for the extra sparkle...

Proprietary cuts usually do cost more, and whether it's worth it depends on what you like. There are quite a few sellers of stones with non-traditional facet patterns that you can shop against. There's nothing inherently better about 58 facets but 145 is no magic number either.

'Sparkle', in the usual sense of the word is not a function of the number of facets, it's mostly a function of the interplay between the pavilion and the crown and the light source.

MrP,

Seems impressive with 145 facets, but it seems like they're trying to hide inclusions.

An I1 is going to have some inclusions. That's why it's an I1. If the cutter can make them a bit less prominent by using a non-standard facet pattern, this sounds like a feature not a problem.

Neil

Edited by denverappraiser

The Radiant Star Dimond is honestly a great Dimaond.

As far as the additional Facets hiding inclusions, take a look for yourself, every Helzberg I have been to has a gem scope right there in the store. Put it under there and find out.

And the Certification....IGI is a reputable grading authority. The GIA wil not grade any "fancy" cut diamonds. With all if the extra facets it is considerd a "fancy cut". The Gemx grading really shows how much light is going to be given off by the diamond, which isis awesome if you want a diamond that is going to sparkle alot! There could be less reputable companys grading it like the EGA that most places in the mall will use (diamonds that are SI in the EGA, usually grade at I with the GIA or IGI)

Another great idea if you are worried about color, cut, and clarity.....the Masterpiece Collection at Helzberg...really awesome Diamonds!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that's some interesting (mis)information!

By any chance are you affiliated with Helzberg's?

IGI is a reputable grading authority.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find qualified independent professionals who would agree. Even most non-independents I associate with recognize the shortcomings and mass-marketing focus of the IGI in America.

I do think your statement can be made as it relates to China: The Hong Kong IGI lab has made a sincere effort to enforce high standards and consistency. It's an attempt to overcome the perception of IGI in America, where they are (at best) a second-tier lab in both strictness and consistency.