Here Is The Final Result

andmib

Hey everyone,

Here is the engagement ring. I am really happy with the result. It looks amazing in person, though I did notice the sapphires are slightly slanted (the pictures seem to exaggerate this). I couldn't tell until I looked very closely (I even looked under the loupe (sp?) at the jeweler and didn't notice).

Thanks to everyone here for all the help!!

post-114053-1196119147_thumb.jpg

post-114053-1196119158_thumb.jpg

post-114053-1196119167_thumb.jpg

post-114053-1196119178_thumb.jpg

post-114053-1196119189_thumb.jpg

Edited by andmib

Congratulations.

Pictures have a tendency to bring out the worst. If you can't see it with a loupe, it doesn't bother you and your jeweler or your appraiser doesn't say that it's at risk for coming out, I wouldn't sweat it. A little bit of that sort of thing comes with a buying a handmade product. The ring looks lovely. Enjoy.

Neil

Hey,

I was looking at it today (cleaning off the dust a little bit - I plan on presenting it tonight or tomorrow), and like I said before, you can't really tell until you look closely. Plus, I'll leave it up to her if she notices and would like to have it re-set. In an odd sort of way, I'll always know its her ring among other three-stone rings because of the slight variation in the way the stones are set :rolleyes:.

I didn't ask the jeweler about the sapphires because I didn't notice them in the store, but I am assuming that it would be structurally sound, or they would have told me otherwise? The setter took a last inspection of it before I came in to pick it up. I could always inquire about it.

As far as an appraiser goes, how much would it cost to get the ring appraised? And is it necessary if you will not be getting insurance? The reason I ask is because I don't have insurance on the ring yet, and I am not sure if I will be getting insurance any time soon (waiting until I get renters insurance after I graduate in about a year). Is this a bad idea? My car insurance is already enough, so I'm trying to avoid anymore premiums at the moment...

Thanks for your comment!

Congratulations.

Pictures have a tendency to bring out the worst. If you can't see it with a loupe, it doesn't bother you and your jeweler or your appraiser doesn't say that it's at risk for coming out, I wouldn't sweat it. A little bit of that sort of thing comes with a buying a handmade product. The ring looks lovely. Enjoy.

Neil

Different appraisers charge different rates but $100 seems pretty typical for a through job by an independent in most cities. Whether this is worth it to you depends on what you want to know.

The usual reasons that people appraise new purchases is in order to make their insurance policy more valuable, or even possible, or to provide an informed second opinion on what the jeweler has told you that may be of concern. This boils down to your trust in the jeweler. If you 100% trust the jeweler and you have no interest in insurance than it’s unnecessary. If you 90% trust the jeweler it’s a tossup. The appraisal inspection can reveal details like craftsmanship problems, damage and details about the stones above and beyond what you may have been told. Is this worth $100? That depends on you and to an extent on the budget being discussed. If you 60% trust the jeweler, meaning that they’ve given you some reason to suspect them but you can’t prove it, I would definitely get it appraised if for no other reason than peace of mind that you don’t have a defective piece and a bit of evidence about whether you should shop with this jeweler again. You WILL be having anniversaries, birthdays and other occasions where you’re likely to buy a piece of jewelry after all. Having a jeweler that you can move up into that 90% zone is a handy thing.

If you really don’t trust the jeweler, you should have walked out the door already. Failing that, definitely get it appraised.

A special not on new purchase appraisals. Don’t use an appraiser who is a competing with the jeweler in the business of selling you things. That means don’t walk into the store across the street. The conflict of interest inherent to this means that you can’t fully trust THEM either. Find an independent who doesn’t sell jewelry. This can actually be a bit difficult and there are only a hundred or so in the whole country. There may or may not be one in your town. Most will have websites that advertise themselves and a bit of Google searching will be a good place to start.

Neil