Loose Diamond .8 $835, Good Deal?

barrypii

Clarity is I1, Color is I-J approx size is 6.0mm

It is said to be "certified" but I have never heard of "Allstates Certification Advantage"

I have a 7 day's to return it after i recieve it, and just wanted to see what you all thought.

Shape? Weight? Price? Measurements? Photos? Reports? We can't give you more until you give us more.

If you don't have more you may want to use the 7 days to hire an independent appraiser who will verify/deny what's being represented by the seller - and to assign a value.

Run, don't walk from this diamond.

Never heard of Allstates Certification Advantage.

Sounds like an Ebay store hawking sub-par diamonds with dubious lab reports.

Stick with lab reports from GIA or AGS.

Also keep in mind that legit diamond grading labs such as GIA or AGS don't "certify" anything. They render an opinion and don't split color or clarity grades.

Barry is likely right from a puritanical POV - neither he nor we would ever dish a diamond in this manner (mystery lab, appx stats & almost no info) - still, if you have it, I'd like to know any other info you've been told, especially the asking price. In cases like this it may confirm why our spidey sense is tingling.

Puritanical? :rolleyes:

Consumer protection on this Forum is not a pejorative.

Review the Archives. Diamonds graded by alphabet soup labs have been shown to be significantly misgraded and overpriced.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Stay safe and work with reputable Brick & Mortar or Internet Vendors that fully disclose information and provide accurate and trustworthy lab grading reports such as from GIA and AGS.

HI Everyone!

barrypii: The proof is in the pudding- or price in this case...

$835 will buy a crappy .80 diamond.

If someone was offering you a "great Car" for $1500, you'd know right away it must be a junker.

Same here.

Barry, it's true there's a lot of schlock on eBay- however, making that generalization if not fair, as there's a lot of junk on the web in general, and many sellers hawking sub par "certs" in jewelry stores as well.

In all cases, consumers need to be careful, and have their eyes wide open..

Sorry barrypii - I entirely missed the ct weight/price in the subject line (we have a saying for that in TX - "If it wer a snake it woulda bit me"). Thanks David, for clarifying. Something is definitely askew. GIA-graded diamonds even a couple of grades lower in color/clarity are trading for notably more, so the spider sense is really going off now.

'Allstates Certification Advantage' may be another lab to throw on the massive pile of small, soft labs that seem to function to aid the seller rather than the consumer. I have no familiarity with them.

For the record, there are select small labs (I call them boutique labs) which have good consistenty and strictness. Neil Beaty's AGR lab (American Gem Registry) is a prime example. I do think GIA/AGS paper is the way to go - especially in the sight-unseen market - but would hate for the AGR and a few other worthy independents to get painted with the same brush as the softies.

Edited by JohnQuixote

I actually did buy it on ebay, but it was one of those 1 minute live auctions. I had zero time to review it and had about 3 minutes to search on the web. All of the ones of similar sizing and stats started about 250 more and went up to much more. This was a quick purchase and I only bought it because of the 7 day return and 99% satisfaction rating of the seller (not to mention I am using an amex platinum which gives me all sorts of warranties and guarentee's about what I am buying).

As soon as I get it I will pass the stats along.

All of the ones of similar sizing and stats started about 250 more and went up to much more.

This is the rub. Similar stats.

Really? If the lab that graded it is using a made up scale, or they are using the standard GIA scale and misapplyling it then similar stats means nothing. Just because someone calls it an I-1 doesn’t make it so. This is even moreso with the color. The difference between a J and a Q is not all that obvious for people who don’t have a fair amount of experience looking at diamonds. Comparing stats is especially difficult in the ‘lower’ grades where the target customer is the bargain hunter rather than the connoisseur. I don’t say this to be disparaging of these grades, they sell because they’re less expensive and that’s an entirely legitimate reason but you rarely see a GIA graded I-1/L stone to compare with so it’s tough to have a benchmark for either what those look like or what they cost elsewhere. There is lots of misrepresentation and just plain misunderstanding surrounding grades in this range. In the database here, for example, of something like 50,000 stones there are only 3 GIA graded stones in the whole range from 0.75-0.99/K-Z/I1-I3. All 3 are K color. This does give you at least something to compare with but you’ve got nothing on the other side.

Comparing a J/I-1 to a M/I-3 isn’t just unfair it’s ridiculous, and since you’ve never seen ANY of the subject stones you have no choice but to rely on the ‘labs’ for this information. Anyone who wants to can call themselves a gemological lab and they can write a report giving whatever opinion they want. Really. They can call it ‘near flawless’ if they want, and they can make this determination via psychic powers projected over the telephone. The key is you don’t have to care. If you can’t figure out who the lab is and you can’t convince yourself that their opinion has merit, stop right there. Don’t even bother to read the grading. It doesn’t mean that they’re wrong but the burden of proof is on them to convince you that you should care what they think, not the other way around. The default answer is DON'T.

You called it a J/I-1 in your original question and this, presumably is what you used to compare to others in deciding that this was a bargain and what you wanted the advisers here to use as an assumption of fact. It’s almost certainly a false premise and, without understanding what you have, there’s no way to know anything at all about it's value or how to compare it to other supposedly similar things. We’ve never seen it, you’ve never seen it, possibly even the lab never saw it. It probably surprised you, and possibly annoyed you, that no one answered your question - Was it a good deal? We can't, and it would be irresponsible to tell you otherwise. There's simply nothing close to enough information and you've raised some major red flags to question about what little you did provide.

I would strongly encourage you to hire a capable and independent appraiser to inspect the stone during your 7 days and figure out what you have. That’s a pretty short window. Set your appointment soon. Most of us are pretty busy people and it would be a shame to expire your return clock for logistical reasons. Start by appraising your appraiser. They too are unregulated and they too should convince you that their opinions have merit before you rely on them. Start your search immediately. If you need to ship to someone out of town it’s going to take up at least 2 of your precious 7 days.

Neil

Ps. Thanks for the nice comments John.

Edited by denverappraiser

I want to thank you all for the advice. I have attached pictures.

I see quite a bit of black in it when I look at it with my eyes. In a few of these pics you can see the black as well.

Let me know what you all think, I have a 8 megapixel digital SLR camera, so please let me know if you would like a different picture taken another way. This is the max zoom out of it, I may borrow a friends lense with better zoom.

post-114257-1196734312_thumb.jpg

post-114257-1196734392.jpg

post-114257-1196734413.jpg

post-114257-1196734423_thumb.jpg

post-114257-1196734438_thumb.jpg

post-114257-1196734487_thumb.jpg

post-114257-1196734508_thumb.jpg

post-114257-1196734531_thumb.jpg

post-114257-1196734547_thumb.jpg

HI Everyone!

barrypii: The proof is in the pudding- or price in this case...

$835 will buy a crappy .80 diamond.

Thank you for the photos barrypii- that's what an $800 .80ct diamond looks like!

You asked about some totally bogus "certificate" You names one that sounded like an Insurance company. There's plenty of others with all kinds of initials- If the initials are anything other than GIA, or AGSL these "certificates" are excellent for use in the fireplace, except if they are laminated- in which case they are better for the bottom of bird cages. :rolleyes:

The only other use for these bogus certs is to deceive buyers.

Someone mentioned Neil Beaty's AGR lab.

That is something totally different- and far more useful to consumers than these labs that try to pose as GIA for deceptive purposes.