What Do You Think About My New Diamond???

cu2010

As I eluded to in my previous post, I ended up choosing a diamond from www.Diamond.com and couldn't have been more satisfied with their service, ability to get exactly what I wanted, GIA certified, and have an overall peace of mind about my purchase. So, here is my new diamond engagement ring, please let me know what you think:

Shape: Princess cut

Size: 1.25 carats

Color: H

Clarity: VS1

Polish: VG

Symmetry: VG

F: None

Depth: 63.7%

Table: 72%

Girdle: Medium

Size: 6.23 x 6.19 x 3.94mm

Again, this is GIA certified and set in a Platinum Tiffany Style setting with a thickness of 2.5 (mm?). Here's the price that I was able to get:

Original Price of Diamond: $5735

Original Price of Platinum Band: $975

Total Original Price: $6710

I was able to get the diamond, band, and free overnight Fed-Ex shipping for a total of $6,050. What does everyone think about the diamond, price, etc? I think I included all of the information, but if there is something I forgot just let me know. Thanks!

-T

The price is in-line with GIA-graded H/VS1 princess cuts in that size range with similar finish ($5000-$6000).

Were you able to get some kind of performance assessment along with the grading? Remember that GIA grades only carat weight, color, clarity and finish. They say nothing about how well cut the diamond is. If you received an ideal-scope, ASET or some other performance assessment image/report from the seller we could give you meaningful input on its cut & performance qualities if you will post the images. Without these its impossible to know unless you're working with a trusted professional who has the diamond in-hand. As a seller I would expect the client to demand such proof of performance, or to use an independent appraiser to verify the pedigree of his/her multi-thousand dollar purchase... GIA is a wonderful lab but they do not grade cut in fancy shapes.

Having said that, your eyes are what's most important. Let us know how it looks to you.

Edited by JohnQuixote

‘Original price’ is, of course, irrelevant but the price they’re asking seems reasonable. There’s not enough information here to say much about the stone, the ring, the craftsmanship etc. but GIA grading on the center stone is a good place to start. When it arrives let us know how you like it and what you’re appraiser has to say. Congratulations!

Neil

Hi Everyone

I'll echo what the others have said- congratulations!

I think the "Original Price" is important in that it means that other shoppers who were no so persistent are paying 10% more- which, if it's my $700, means something.

The other aspect which might mean nothing to some shoppers, but be crucial to others - is the fact that the site cu2010 purchased from is indistinguishable from countless other sites selling from the same lists- they don't have the diamonds so you can't see any actual diamonds on these type of sites.

In terms of a 2.5mm Tiffany Style band? Well, who knows that could be anything. The millimeter size is really secondary to so many other aspects of a ring's design.

These include: shank profile, quality, and method of setting and polishing, methods of soldering the head on- the head itself makes a HUGE difference in the way the ring looks.

Anyway, best of luck, I'm sure cu2010 will probably get a great ring- but I believe a lot of folks would want to see the way the rings are made before plopping down their hard earned money.

... the site cu2010 purchased from is indistinguishable from countless other sites selling from the same lists- they don't have the diamonds so you can't see any actual diamonds on these type of sites...

Rant on.

It's a model some companies have made successful - and frankly those of us 'hard cases' who insist on personally inspecting and gemologically approving any diamond before we will sell it might be able to make a quicker buck that way - but it goes against our sense of consumer protection.

I could share dozens of tales from clients who bought from a 'drop-shipper' only to find an unknown deal-breaker that the seller did not warn them of (couldn't warn them of actually - since they never saw the stone they were selling). Fortunately some of these people were wise enough to check with an independent appraiser. The [insert 'clarity,' 'durability,' 'brillianteering,' 'weight ratio,' 'optical,' etc. etc.] issue with the diamond was pointed out to them and they were able to return it.

Rant off. Happy T-Giving weekend all :rolleyes: