Deciding This Week Between Two Stones...advice Please!

detroitnurse

I found a nice GIA diamond that was brought in for me at a local store/wholesaler. I'll list the stats on the stones below. Long story short: I had seen 3 or 4 stones, liked this the best, pretty much in the range I was willing to pay ($10,000), but decided to go to a local office building that houses many jewelers and look around to convince myself this stone was "the one." I found another stone, beautiful to the eye, very white (a D-color), bigger and $350.00 less money, BUT.....not GIA. It had a cert I never heard of and would like to know if anyone here has. It is called "HRD" (Hoge Raad voor Diamant or Diamond High Council, Antwerp, Belgium). Please let me know what your opinion is of these stones and also that grading lab.

Stone #1:

2006 GIA report, 1.58 carat, E SI2, triple excellent (cut, polish & symmetry), 7.44-7.47 x 4.62 mm, TBL-56%, CA-35.0 degrees, ST-55%, TD-62%, PA-40.8 degrees, LH-75%, girdle med.-STK, F (what does the F stand for?), med blue fluorescence, no culet.

Stone #2:

2007 HRD cert., 1.68 carat, D ("exceptional white"), SI2, Proportions: "very good", Finish Grade: "good", Fluorescence medium, 7.55-7.59 x 4.68 mm, girdle-medium 4% faceted, culet pointed, table width 58%, cr height 15.5%, pav. depth 42.5%.

On Stone #2, there is one rather large defect (I don't know what it is called, e.g. feather, crystal, etc.), very near one of the very outside facets, which concerns me if it were to be bumped and cleave. Of courser the jeweler is adament this would never happen. This is a brilliantly white stone. Is it possible it has been treated somehow? The cert at the top states, "The stone in accordance with the above mentioned number has been identified as a natural diamond and has the following description:" The jeweler said he would be willing to send the stone to GIA to be certed, but I would have to pay for it...

What do you think? About the labs? About the price? About the stones? Any advice? I would like to make a purchase this Saturday.

Thank you for all your help in advance. :)

I'm just a collector, but thought this might be useful. I found a lot of references online from sources all over the world that referenced HRD: (oh, and the F after "med - STK" means the girdle is medium to slightly thick, faceted just like your second stone)

The H.R.D. (Hoge Raad voor Diamant or Diamond High Council), was founded in 1973 and is a government owned body which is affiliated to the University of Antwerp.

It is a non-profit organisation and is the only officially recognized representative of the Belgian diamond trade and industry.

HRD headquarters are located in Antwerp, Belgium, World Diamond Center.

The HRD certificate enjoys an excellent reputation for objectivity and quality. The objectivity of the grading results is guaranteed by preserving the strictest anonymity. When a diamond is brought in for examination at the reception of the Certificates Department, all data are introduced into the computer. The stone then receives two numbers: an external number for use of the client, which is printed on the receipt note, and an internal number to follow the stone in the lab. The graders who perform the examination never know to whom a stone belongs, which is a guarantee of absolute objectivity.

I find HRD to be a credible lab but there are others here who don’t think as highly of them. They are decidedly not as well regarded as GIA or AGSL, especially in the US. The reason that the first stone costs more is the GIA 3x’s vs. the HRD ‘very good’ and the GIA pedigree. My gut tells me that it’s worth it but this is up to you. You’ve seen both stones and have a feel for what they look like. This gives you a leg up on anyone who is basing an opinion off of lab reports where we haven’t even seen the report, much less the stone.

If you're especially concerned about the pedigree, That's a reasonable offer for them to send it off to GIA for grading at your expense. I would add to that the qualifier that IF GIA grades it lower, the deals off and the GIA fee is at their expense. If they want to make an offer to sell you the stone at that time you'll consider it but all obligations are off. If you're just worried about the accuracy of the grading, consider getting it appraised by an expert who is working for you rather than for the jeweler. You might want to do this anyway because of the cut grading and possibly other issues.

Neil

HRD is a respected lab in Europe, but since the seller is willing to send it to GIA ask them if they will guarantee the grade to GIA. If the stone comes back an I1, it could be a different deal altogether. Some of the diamonds we have bought overseas have had an HRD report first, then a GIA report done when it comes to the states. Mostly from what I`ve seen in our cases they have been about one color grade difference from GIA. The most recent from memory was a 3.42 ct. asscher graded VVS2 F. GIA graded it VVS2 G. We paid for G. :)

What do you think? About the labs? About the price? About the stones? Any advice? I would like to make a purchase this Saturday.

Thank you for all your help in advance. :rolleyes:

Hi DN. I think I may have addressed this before? ...Just wanted to be sure you saw it :)

Labs: HRD is highly regarded in Europe. They don't have quite the reputation the GIA or AGS have for strictness but are a reputable lab.

Stones: By the numbers stone #1 sounds great. We would need an ideal-scope, ASET image or other performance report to discuss its cut quality or optical symmetry in meaningful terms but if you have a chance to see it your eyes will tell the story. Stone #2 is going to have a pavilion shallower than we'd recommend. Though it does work out ok with the high crown it may be darker in circumstances where you're looking at it closely. It would be nice to know minor facet averages (stars/lower halves). The HRD would disclose treatments so that is not a concern but if there is a significant feather in the SI2 you may want to have it looked at by a professional you trust (whether that is the seller or an independent appraiser). The advice your jeweler gave you is typically sound however; diamonds endured extremes of heat and pressure during the sawing, girdling and polishing process which they will never see again in daily wear. Still, with a multi-thousand dollar purchase a trusted expert read is nice to have. The size difference will likely be negligible when mounted. From the information given I would predict #1 as the better option, but there are more unknowns than knowns here.

Advice: Ditto the above.

Hope you were able to make a solid decision today - let us know how it went.

Edited by JohnQuixote