Cut "grade" And Value?

chezstacey

I have a solitaire I don't wear anymore, and I'm trying to determine the value of this stone.

I *think* the cut is a 1B from the table on this site, but I need help interpreting, because my GIA cert (1999) doesn't have all of the various angles and percentages.

It's a very white, brilliant stone:

Round

6.38 - 6.48 x 3.97

1.02 carats

VVS1 (two TINY red marks, on very outside edge)

E

Depth 61.7%

Table 60%

Girdle Thin to slightly thick, faceted

Culet None

Polish - Good

Symmetry - Good

Flourescence - Medium Blue <--- does this affect value?

How does one judge resale value? What is the cut rating? It's a gorgeous stone, currently in a platinum Scott Kay setting with 6 nice tapered baguettes, G color.

I don't need to sell it, but I can't bear a pendant (I don't get to look at the stone!), and right now it's just rotting in my jewelry drawer. Advice on 1 - cut rating 2 - resale value vs. holding/investment value and 3 - how do you set a round solitaire so it doesn't look like an engagement ring? Is there a common opinion on this site of what will happen, if anything, to natural stone values when Apollo kicks up production?

Thanks for your advice!

Resale values will depend on what marketplace you are selling into and how good you are at selling things. Dealers who are buying for resale from the public around here (Denver) pay about half of the prices that you see comparable stones advertised for under the ‘find online jeweler’ section at the top of this site. In other parts of the country it will be different and naturally each dealer can offer as much or as little as they want for any particular deal. It will depend on mundane things like what sells well for them, what inventory they already have and even how much cash they have in the bank. Many can make you a tentative bid if you fax or email them a copy of that 1999 GIA report. There’s an online buyer who is a regular poster here who has a website at www.cashfordiamonds.com.

Mountings generally don’t resell well. Concentrate your efforts on the center stone. Most dealers will pay little more than the scrap value of the metal for used mountings.

There’s not enough information on the 1999 GIA reports to evaluate the cut. The chart in the tutorial is no help.

Any jeweler should be tickled to restyle the thing into a non-engagement mounting for you. That’s pretty easy. Have you looked around to see if there are designs you like? A 1 carat round is a shape and size that lots of designers work around and there should be quite a bit to choose from.

Neil

Thanks, Neil!

I appreciate the response. Wonder why GIA certs are so incomplete on cut-eval?

I do have a nice collection of colored gemstones (loose...). I may see if I have a suitable pair for sides or something and see if I can find a jeweler to work with me.

Too bad about the setting... Those designer platinum deals have a heck of a markup.

I'm in Bellevue, WA, so market is on the high-end, but I'd rather wear it!

GIA introduced cut evaluations on round brilliant diamonds on January 1, 2006.

You can read up on their research and how they arrived at their Cut Grade categories at their website: gia.edu

If you're inclined, you can submit your diamond to GIA for an updated Lab Report which will indicate the Cut Grade Quality.

I appreciate the response. Wonder why GIA certs are so incomplete on cut-eval?

Remember who the client was. This report was issued to a dealer in order to assist in selling the stone, not to a consumer to assist in buying it. An old diamond dealer friend once told me "A Cert is like a bikini on a girl. It shows a lot, but what it conceals is even more important than what it reveals."

Neil