Diamondsfromnewyork.com - About To Make A Purchase - Any Experience, Tips, Ect?

cu2010

Hi everyone,

I am about to make a purchase from www.DiamondsFromNewYork.com and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with them, heard anything, or have any tips before I make the purchase?? They have a 5 day return policy from the date that I receive the ring, and here is a list of what I will do before finalizing the transaction that I have gathered from everyone else's helpful tips:

1) Get a picture and copy of the certificate of the actual diamond that I am to receive.

2) Get their return policy in writing to ensure that return=refund and not return=exchange.

3) Have an appt. with a local appraiser BEFORE the diamond even ships.

4) Pay via Paypal so credit card # is never exposed.

Is there anything else that I should do before making the purchase? The ring that I intend to purchase is a princess cut 1.33c, F, VS1, in a tiffany style platinum setting for $5400. Is this price a good deal? I have compared it to many other stores, websites, etc. The only other stone that I am considering is from www.diamond.com which is GIA certified princess cut 1.31c, H, SI1, in platinum for $6000. It is slighty more but is also GIA certified and I have done business with www.Diamond.com before and have been extremely satisfied so that is my other option.

Any advice, help, tips, suggests, etc? Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

-T

Hi everyone,

I am about to make a purchase from www.DiamondsFromNewYork.com and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with them, heard anything, or have any tips before I make the purchase?? They have a 5 day return policy from the date that I receive the ring, and here is a list of what I will do before finalizing the transaction that I have gathered from everyone else's helpful tips:

1) Get a picture and copy of the certificate of the actual diamond that I am to receive.

2) Get their return policy in writing to ensure that return=refund and not return=exchange.

3) Have an appt. with a local appraiser BEFORE the diamond even ships.

4) Pay via Paypal so credit card # is never exposed.

Is there anything else that I should do before making the purchase? The ring that I intend to purchase is a princess cut 1.33c, F, VS1, in a tiffany style platinum setting for $5400. Is this price a good deal? I have compared it to many other stores, websites, etc. The only other stone that I am considering is from www.diamond.com which is GIA certified princess cut 1.31c, H, SI1, in platinum for $6000. It is slighty more but is also GIA certified and I have done business with www.Diamond.com before and have been extremely satisfied so that is my other option.

Any advice, help, tips, suggests, etc? Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

-T

I'm not an expert, but I've purchased my share of stones... there is a GREAT difference between an F and H color in person, as well as a VS1 and an SI1, depending on type and location of inclusions. Can you speak to someone at diamondsofNY regarding their grading? how did they arrive at F/VS1 if it's not GIA? Is it perfectly square? what are the dimensions? Do you care if it's slightly rectangular if it's much brighter white? $5400 is a really great deal for solid platinum (get weight on setting alone - how many grams? compare to others to make sure it's not too thin).

If they can come up with some reliable source/cert for grading (EGL or other if not GIA), I'd follow your above steps and go for it... keeping in mind that addage of "If it seems too good to be true..."

Good luck!

I'm not an expert, but I've purchased my share of stones... there is a GREAT difference between an F and H color in person, as well as a VS1 and an SI1, depending on type and location of inclusions. Can you speak to someone at diamondsfromNY regarding their grading? How did they arrive at F/VS1 if it's not GIA? Is it perfectly square? what are the dimensions? Do you care if it's slightly rectangular if it's much brighter white? $5400 is a really great deal for solid platinum (get weight on setting alone - how many grams? compare to others to make sure it's not too thin of a band).

If they can come up with some reliable source/cert for grading (EGL or other if not GIA), I'd follow your above steps and go for it... keeping in mind that addage of "If it seems too good to be true..."

Good luck!

As I’m sure you know, if it’s correctly graded that price is on the low side. That’s probably what attracted you to the piece but it can be a red flag as well. Dealers are in this to make a buck and if they could have gotten GIA grading and raised the price by a few thousand dollars, that’s surely what they would have done so we can be reasonably certain there’s a problem. We just don’t know what the problem is and if you can live with it. It will likely have some issues with clarity and/or color but the big unknown is the cutting. Do you know who graded it?

5 day return is pretty tight. Make sure you understand what dates count. If it goes from the date they ship until the date they get it back you have a VERY short window, even if overnight mail is used. If a weekend is included you may only have a single day. If it’s a holiday weekend you may not even have that.

Make sure your return policy allows for a return for any reason rather than some restricted business about the appraiser needing disagree by 2 grades or even whether the appraiser is qualified. If you don’t like it you should get your money back period. Be careful of restocking fees and the like.

Your procedure is fairly good for protecting yourself. I’m not a huge fan of paypal but you’re correct that they protect your CC number from the other side even seeing it and that’s some value. Don’t use a debit card. Your primary protection is coming from the credit card company and the rules on debit cards are nowhere near as good. Your risk is a bit of shipping, an appraisal fee and some wasted time. On the scale of things this isn't so much but it's not zero either. Assess the DEALER to decide if you think it's worth taking the chance.

Neil

Let us know what you get after requesting a copy of the diamond photo and grading report, then we can give you more info. Even on an accurately graded diamond color/clarity-wise, you can get a big discount on a princess that's poorly cut: too deep, has a huge table, highly out of square, etc.

Edited by Adylon

Let us know what you get after requesting a copy of the diamond photo and grading report, then we can give you more info. Even on an accurately graded diamond color/clarity-wise, you can get a big discount on a princess that's poorly cut: too deep, has a huge table, highly out of square, etc.

Thank you to everyone for your responses! I actually chose a different diamond from www.Diamond.com for a couple of reasons:

-I think I was able to negotiate a pretty good deal

-I was hesitant to purchase from www.DiamondsfromNewYork.com because it did seem too good to be true, and in the long run I ended up only spending $600 more for a much better diamond

-I didn't want to have the headache of getting the diamond from new york, getting it appraised, dealing with the "what ifs" in the event that the diamond was nothing like I expected, having to return it within 5 days etc.

-With Diamond.com I have a full 30-day return policy in which I can return it for any reason

-The diamond from Diamond.com is GIA certified and the one from New York was certified by some no-name place (likely a relative or something, lol)

-An overall greater peace of mind knowing that I got exactly what I paid for

I will start a new thread regarding my new diamond, so please let me know what you think. Thanks again!

-T

All due respectcu2010- the "site from New York" is so very bad, that almost any site you compared it to would look great.

I took just enough time to find a $4000 "F/VVS1" one carat stone sans GIA that is probably K/I1- if there's any diamond at all.

As a diamond dealer, I'm offended by the blatant misrepresentation

I am offended by that site as a resident of New York- because I love my city.

Please, using that site to make any assumption about New York, or New York Diamond businesses is way off base. Unless you're next door to diamond.com, they would have to ship you the diamond anyway- and if the diamonds on their lists are in New York ( likely) that's where you'll be getting one from anyway!

Glad you like the site you repeatedly mentioned... but as a diamond shopping site, it's really not special. It's a poor copy of Blue Nile and seemingly thousands of other sites that have no diamonds, no actual photos, only lists.

Edited by diamondsbylauren

• 2 years later...

Interesting!!

I realize you posted this a long time ago, but am wondering if any of you can tell me more. They now have an account on Etsy, and like you said, their prices are excellent. My aunt is a jeweler, so I can get very nice prices near cost. Many of their prices are similar?! Suspect considering most need some kind of profit to keep up the good work.

So they tend to over-grade the diamonds in compensation?

Thanks, almost made a mistake.

Interesting!!

I realize you posted this a long time ago, but am wondering if any of you can tell me more. They now have an account on Etsy, and like you said, their prices are excellent. My aunt is a jeweler, so I can get very nice prices near cost. Many of their prices are similar?! Suspect considering most need some kind of profit to keep up the good work.

So they tend to over-grade the diamonds in compensation?

Thanks, almost made a mistake.

I’m not seeing the part where the prices are excellent unless you make some extraordinary assumptions about what's being sold. The descriptions are so weak that there’s just no basis to decide if the prices are good or not. Given that none of that is an accident, I can only assume that they’re deliberately hiding something and it’s surely not to your benefit. Diamond prices range from remarkably cheap to fantastically expensive and the difference is in the details. Given the amount of effort these folks are going through to avoid providing details, why assume that they're offering a bargain?

Overgrade? Some unknown person assigned a score based on an unknown scale under unknown circumstances. I wouldn't call that grading at all.

Neil