My Diamond And Setting

andmib

Hey,

Again, I appreciate everybody’s help with my diamond purchase. The diamond I received from WF is attached. The jeweler showed me the setting and the two sapphires for the ring, and they look stunning, so I gave him the O.K. to have the diamond and sapphires set. The two sapphires are a little under 1/3 carat each, with a nice deep-blue color, and the setting is 14k white gold.

How long does this process usually take? The jeweler quoted about seven business days, and I'm just curious as to what goes into the setting process, and why it takes this length of time. I'll try and upload pictures once the ring is done.

post-114053-1195314472_thumb.jpg

7 days is reasonable. It's not that it involves 7 days worth of work but skilled benchmen can be in hot demand and there's a line of other customers that you are waiting behind. Also, with a lot of stores, the shop is in a different location from the showroom and it's necessary to arrange for pickup and delivery to and from the store and this can take up a bit of your time.

Neil

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me.

Unfortunately, it looks like it will be longer than seven days. I called today to check and see what the status of the ring was, and the jeweler whom I've been working with all along told me that they have my diamond in the setting (phew), and that it looks beautiful. However, one of the 1/3 carat side stone princess-cut sapphires (which are theirs, and I have not yet paid for) got chipped during the setting process so they have ordered another. He said they ordered two more (an extra just in case?) and that they should be there by tomorrow, but he said it's possible the ring won't be ready by thanksgiving.

I asked him if the sapphires will look the same, and he told me that the gem company had six sapphires that are the same (I didn't quite understand this - I guess that means that all six of the 1/3 carat sapphires were cut from one stone?), so it will look exactly as I saw it in the store. Do sapphires come/should sapphires come with a certificate of 'authenticity' like diamonds?

I'm a little disappointed that I won't get the ring until later, but I do understand mistakes can happen. When a benchman chips a stone, is it a sign of a lack of skill, or is it something that can happen to the most skilled of benchmen? I'm a little worried about my diamond being chipped, because the sapphires share a prong with the center diamond (it's a trellis setting), so it's concievable that the diamond could be chipped when the sapphire is being set, no?

Anyways, I don't mean to sound overly worried, but it is the most expensive purchase that I've ever made. :)

7 days is reasonable. It's not that it involves 7 days worth of work but skilled benchmen can be in hot demand and there's a line of other customers that you are waiting behind. Also, with a lot of stores, the shop is in a different location from the showroom and it's necessary to arrange for pickup and delivery to and from the store and this can take up a bit of your time.

Neil

It can and does happen to the most skilled of benchmen. Part of the territory.

Please keep in mind that this is the busiest time of the year for jewelers and every Customer wants their ring completed and delivered yesterday.

If you get your ring by Thanksgiving that will be great, if not, don't fret it. I'm sure your jeweler wants to deliver a quality set ring to you.

Good Luck!

Sapphires can come with gem reports, but for something that small it would be unusual..

As for ordering two more, it probably has more to do with making sure that he can match up the colors perfectly with the one already set rather than a concern that another one may break.. And yes, as hard as we try, things to break during setting.. You are pushing metal up against a reasonably fragile gem and it doesn't take much to make you go from from happy with your work to cussing.. :)

I also think that it's a great thing that your jeweler told you about the breakage ad is fixing it.. There are too many out there that wouldn't say anything and just hope that you don't notice until you've had it for a while..